Block House Brewing Pumpkin Ale | Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Block House Brewing Pumpkin AleBlock House Brewing Pumpkin Ale

Added by RogerSterling on 07-26-2014

View: Beers
Reviews by theamericanpsycho79:
4.63/5  rDev +33.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On the spot review. I heard a few people that have tried this already saying it's too sweet. I say NO SUCH THING! I like sweet stuff, I like sweet beer. I am not a fan of hops or the bitter beer Budweiser taste. Call me weird, I don't care. I like supporting the local breweries and being I am from Pittsburgh, they are selling this right now by the truckload. I found a case of this at Market District for $10. The kid behind the counter said it's very popular and people are snatching it up. Well, Pumking (my current favorite pumpkin ale) isn't on shelves yet, and I heard great things about this and I heard negative things about this as well. This is an honest review by a pumpkin ale fan, not caring what critics say about it.

Look: Beautiful white foamy 2 finger head which slowly disappears.. There was barely any carbonation. I am worried. Nice color, though. Kind of a brownish, orangish yet clear hue. I am digging this color, nice lacing on the glass, too.

Smell: Yikes! Cinnamon graham cracker smells blast into your nose from the start. Some cloves, faint pumpkin, yet heavy spice aroma. This one doesn't appear to be weak, not like Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale. From the smell, I doubt this will be watery pumpkin water. The smell is decent, but it is a little overpowering. Makes me even more curious about the taste. I am a tad worried there is an odd smell lingering in the background, too. I can't put my finger on it, it's like stale water with a dash of oil of cloves and some nutmeg, perhaps. Not entirely sure.

Taste: The moment of truth.... oh Hell. Spice erupts immediately onto my palette. Not what I was expecting to taste. Cinnamon bursts on to the scene, followed by a little graham cracker presence, a bit of vanilla and creaminess and a little pumpkin hanging out in the background. And with that odd smell I got from this, is the taste that equals it. I can't pick up on it, a strange clove-type mixed with clove and nutmeg taste which doesn't linger long, but it hits me with every sip. I imagine a reasonable amount of pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon dissolved into a good ale. But really, I am enjoying this. I can't stop sipping it, I have not had anything like this.

Feel: no massive carbonation, perfect mouthfeel. I wish all ales felt like this, doesn't have a bitter or dry mouthfeel after drinking this. Perfection.

Overall: I was not expecting anything great from this, the critics tore it apart on here. But the people selling it said its great and it is flying off the shelves. I was only going to buy a single bottle, but I decided on a case, fearing I would end up with another case of garbage that I won't drink. I have at least 15 bottles of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale in my cold cellar inside a soggy, water damaged box that I won't touch. My only regret with this is I didn't get another case. I see myself going back up every week and getting a case of this, and a bargain at only $10. That is pretty much what the same store charges for ONE bottle of Pumking. I still like Pumking better, still love it the best out of all my pumpkin ales and it is STILL the king. But this one is maybe tied for second with Whole Hog. I would have to probably have a few more bottles or a side by side comparison. But honestly, I really like this ale and the flavor lingers on your palate long after you swallowed it down. A sweet ale? Yeah. Too sweet? No. Drinkable? Absolutely. Get a case of this, pumpkin ale fans. The only way I see you not liking it is if you like your bitter beers. Personally, I really like it.

4.76/5  rDev +37.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It's been toooooo long since I've first tried this brew at PNC Park last year! Just happened to be at Giant Eagle today and they had about 12 cases sitting in the floor and at least two in on the cooler shelf, I HAD to buy this because I knew how quickly it sold last year! Some may say that it's too early for Pumpkin beer, but this is honest to god, hands down, THE best one on the market!! If you were to make pumpkin pie and drink the liquid, this is what you'd taste, minus the alcohol. I love this beer so much!!! #pumpkintheeverything

3.64/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First pumpkin ale of the season! Paid $1.75 for the single at my local Allegheny Six Pack shop.

A - Huh a twist off thats kind of weird but the beer looks good a deep shade of chestnut brown slightly hazy with just a 1/4 inch of head that looks to be fizzing out rather quickly. Decent lacing.
S - Agree with the guy below strong cinnamon and nutmeg but I do detect some vegital pumpkin flesh and some caramel malts.
T - Wow that cinnamon is strong its like the only thing I can taste. It's kind of balanced with sweet malts so its not "big Red" spicy cinnamon. Second sip just more spice with no actual pumpkin flesh or flavors similar to pumpkin (some are brewed with pumpkin seeds)
M - Light to medium in body easy to drink.

Overall I couldn't imagine having more than one a sitting it is a spice assault in the same vein as "Screaming Jack Pumpkin Spice Ale" which is now taken off the market. I may try their other brews though since the beer was rather smooth and drink able.

edit: Nevermind these are the same guys that do the IC Light beers so no more other beers but I guess it was a pretty decent effort from a BMC type brewery

2.18/5  rDev -37.2%

Im going to try to remain as constructive as possible with this beer.
A. The color was coppery brown with little to no head, which isn't uncommon for Pumpkin ales.

S. Smell was STRONG CINNAMON!!! I couldnt detect any pumpkin smell, though the STRONG CINNAMON smell may have hidden it to be fair.

T. Like Toucan Sam it followed the nose. Really strong cinnamon taste that wasnt too bad at first, but made it really hard to finish. (Which I didn't. This was a quarter left drain pour.) No Pumpkin taste at all.

M. Very carbonated and almost gritty.

O. Overall I liken this brew to Jaw jacker, Really spicy beer without anything else going on.

2.07/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bottle > Pint Glass

Lets preface this with a quote from current president of Pittsburgh Brewing CO.
“We’re a little late to the party but we wanted to take our time to do it right,” - Walsh.

A - Murky rustic orange with a finger of foamy white head, medium lacing.
S - Cinnamon. Thats all. From the instant I twisted the cap off thats all I could smell. Cinnamon sugar sweetness candy.
T - The sweetness of candy corn now with cinnamon!
M - Sweet flat chewy thin watery.
O - Drain pour cinnamon water, what a joke. I cant believe they thought this beer would be OK to release. Where's the pumpkin? This literally tastes like simple syrup with cinnamon flavoring. Iron City is piss beer for local yinzers, so its to be expected that they'd make piss-poor attempts at craft.

This is now my top favorite Pumpkin beer. I have gone through 4 cases and would go through more if I could find it. It takes like pumpkin pie in a bottle. 7% is a good abv. As I like to drink 2 beers, 3 max due to the carbonation. An ABV of 7% or above gets it done. I have tasted at least 30 pumpkin beers in the last 6 years and this truly has a pumpkin taste. It is a little on the sweeter side, but not so sweet that I have to stop at one. To me there is no other beer that tastes so truly "pumpkin". I'll skip the pie this year and have a block house, if I can find anymore.

3.26/5  rDev -6.1%

on draft with caramel and sugar coated pilsner glass and it still tasted watery. disappointed with intensity of flavor. just found that i got last beer from keg so that could impact my review

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.67/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

3.8/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. "Block House Brewing Pumpkin Ale"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, production coded but without freshness dating.
$2 @ Weis Market, Conshohocken, PA

Look: Hazy copper colored body beneath a finger-thick head of white foam that slowly settles to a thin cap, and then an average collar. Spots and splashes of lacing are left behind.

Smell: Sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla similar to a Cinnamon Bun. Bright, fresh, and enticing.

Taste: Just as the aroma suggests it will be. There's a slight touch of toastiness and light caramel to the malt that gives it greater depth but it really does taste like a cinnamon bun. The label states that there are natural flavors added and I assume that's vanilla, although the cinnamon might be included in that as well. It's sweet, and it would make a great dessert beer as-is, but it also manages to somehow finish fairly dry, or at least not sticky or cloying in any way. Perhaps the 7.0% alcohol by volume is helping, but at the same time the alcohol doesn't stand out at all. If you look hard enough you can also find some apple-like fruitiness.

Feel: Medium bodied and gently crisp.

Overall: It's really interesting in that it's hardly anything like a beer at all. Whether that's good or not depends on your own sugar tooth. Skip the root beer and add a fews small scoops of vanilla ice cream to this for a pumpkin float!

3.21/5  rDev -7.5%

1.75/5  rDev -49.6%

3.55/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- light orange with amber tones and half finger head with adequate lacing.

S- cinnamon, clove and graham cracker like. Pumpkin notes as well.

F- flavor mimics nose. strong on the pumpkin though

M- Creamy and chewy and smooth

O- a good pumpkin but it gets too dominate with the pumpkin notes at times.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Pumpkin and spice flavor is more bold than most pumpkin beer. It's very flavorful, but it's definitely sweeter than most pumpkin ales. I liked it, but not for everyone.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

2.85/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.97/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Smells nearly identical to pumpkin pie, nice. Taste, however, is nasty. Cloying, over-spiced. Avoid this beer.

Block House Brewing Pumpkin Ale from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.