Block House Brewing Pumpkin Ale | Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Block House Brewing Pumpkin AleBlock House Brewing Pumpkin Ale

Style: Pumpkin Beer

Availability: Fall

Added by RogerSterling on 07-26-2014

View: Beers

Best pumpkin beer on the market! Pittsburgh has its shit together!

Delicious

This is now my top favorite Pumpkin beer. I have gone through 4 cases and would go through more if I could find it. It takes like pumpkin pie in a bottle. 7% is a good abv. As I like to drink 2 beers, 3 max due to the carbonation. An ABV of 7% or above gets it done. I have tasted at least 30 pumpkin beers in the last 6 years and this truly has a pumpkin taste. It is a little on the sweeter side, but not so sweet that I have to stop at one. To me there is no other beer that tastes so truly "pumpkin". I'll skip the pie this year and have a block house, if I can find anymore.

4.8/5  rDev +38.3%

4.76/5  rDev +37.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It's been toooooo long since I've first tried this brew at PNC Park last year! Just happened to be at Giant Eagle today and they had about 12 cases sitting in the floor and at least two in on the cooler shelf, I HAD to buy this because I knew how quickly it sold last year! Some may say that it's too early for Pumpkin beer, but this is honest to god, hands down, THE best one on the market!! If you were to make pumpkin pie and drink the liquid, this is what you'd taste, minus the alcohol. I love this beer so much!!! #pumpkintheeverything

4.75/5  rDev +36.9%

The nose of this beer initially screams cinnamon and drank from the bottle it is the predominant flavor.
However when poured into a glass the nutmeg and vanilla become more apparent
. Much closer to Pumpkin Pie.
If someone has eaten or brewed with straight pumpkin they would soon realize pumpkin imparts zero flavor.

4.68/5  rDev +34.9%

4.65/5  rDev +34%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for in a pumpkin beer all these years. It tastes just like pumpkin pie. I see people have been complaining about the sweetness, but I loved it. Yes it is sweet, but I thought it was delicious

4.63/5  rDev +33.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On the spot review. I heard a few people that have tried this already saying it's too sweet. I say NO SUCH THING! I like sweet stuff, I like sweet beer. I am not a fan of hops or the bitter beer Budweiser taste. Call me weird, I don't care. I like supporting the local breweries and being I am from Pittsburgh, they are selling this right now by the truckload. I found a case of this at Market District for $10. The kid behind the counter said it's very popular and people are snatching it up. Well, Pumking (my current favorite pumpkin ale) isn't on shelves yet, and I heard great things about this and I heard negative things about this as well. This is an honest review by a pumpkin ale fan, not caring what critics say about it.

Look: Beautiful white foamy 2 finger head which slowly disappears.. There was barely any carbonation. I am worried. Nice color, though. Kind of a brownish, orangish yet clear hue. I am digging this color, nice lacing on the glass, too.

Smell: Yikes! Cinnamon graham cracker smells blast into your nose from the start. Some cloves, faint pumpkin, yet heavy spice aroma. This one doesn't appear to be weak, not like Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale. From the smell, I doubt this will be watery pumpkin water. The smell is decent, but it is a little overpowering. Makes me even more curious about the taste. I am a tad worried there is an odd smell lingering in the background, too. I can't put my finger on it, it's like stale water with a dash of oil of cloves and some nutmeg, perhaps. Not entirely sure.

Taste: The moment of truth.... oh Hell. Spice erupts immediately onto my palette. Not what I was expecting to taste. Cinnamon bursts on to the scene, followed by a little graham cracker presence, a bit of vanilla and creaminess and a little pumpkin hanging out in the background. And with that odd smell I got from this, is the taste that equals it. I can't pick up on it, a strange clove-type mixed with clove and nutmeg taste which doesn't linger long, but it hits me with every sip. I imagine a reasonable amount of pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon dissolved into a good ale. But really, I am enjoying this. I can't stop sipping it, I have not had anything like this.

Feel: no massive carbonation, perfect mouthfeel. I wish all ales felt like this, doesn't have a bitter or dry mouthfeel after drinking this. Perfection.

Overall: I was not expecting anything great from this, the critics tore it apart on here. But the people selling it said its great and it is flying off the shelves. I was only going to buy a single bottle, but I decided on a case, fearing I would end up with another case of garbage that I won't drink. I have at least 15 bottles of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale in my cold cellar inside a soggy, water damaged box that I won't touch. My only regret with this is I didn't get another case. I see myself going back up every week and getting a case of this, and a bargain at only $10. That is pretty much what the same store charges for ONE bottle of Pumking. I still like Pumking better, still love it the best out of all my pumpkin ales and it is STILL the king. But this one is maybe tied for second with Whole Hog. I would have to probably have a few more bottles or a side by side comparison. But honestly, I really like this ale and the flavor lingers on your palate long after you swallowed it down. A sweet ale? Yeah. Too sweet? No. Drinkable? Absolutely. Get a case of this, pumpkin ale fans. The only way I see you not liking it is if you like your bitter beers. Personally, I really like it.

4.6/5  rDev +32.6%

4.59/5  rDev +32.3%

I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of pumpkin beers, but I will say that out of all the ones I've tried this one is actually quite tasty. It does it's job as a pumpkin beer, and its 7.0. Oh ah we getting drunk fellas.

4.47/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the best pumpkin beers. Plus local brewery

4.3/5  rDev +23.9%

4.27/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +22.2%

4.21/5  rDev +21.3%

overall I really like this one flavor was spot on this year

Block House Brewing Pumpkin Ale from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.