Block House Brewing Pumpkin Ale | Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Block House Brewing Pumpkin AleBlock House Brewing Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by RogerSterling on 07-26-2014

View: Beers

1.03/5  rDev -70.3%

This could be the worst beer I ever had. I thought I accidently drank a bottle of cheap perfume. too bad I couldn't rate it with a negative number.

1.5/5  rDev -56.8%

Malt bomb. Very sweet

1.75/5  rDev -49.6%

1.75/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.83/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I had this beer on tap at an outdoor festival. I am not a fan of pumpkin beers but this beer was way too sweet. It had a taste of really, really, sweet pumpkin. My thought was that this isn't beer at all but more of a sugary Kool-Aid drink. I say run away from this beer don't waste your money buying it. If someone offers you a free sample you can try it but I wouldn't even recommend that either. As I say in my reviews would I buy it and my answer is no. If this was the only beer available to drink I would no longer drink beer.

1.97/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Smells nearly identical to pumpkin pie, nice. Taste, however, is nasty. Cloying, over-spiced. Avoid this beer.

2.07/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bottle > Pint Glass

Lets preface this with a quote from current president of Pittsburgh Brewing CO.
“We’re a little late to the party but we wanted to take our time to do it right,” - Walsh.

A - Murky rustic orange with a finger of foamy white head, medium lacing.
S - Cinnamon. Thats all. From the instant I twisted the cap off thats all I could smell. Cinnamon sugar sweetness candy.
T - The sweetness of candy corn now with cinnamon!
M - Sweet flat chewy thin watery.
O - Drain pour cinnamon water, what a joke. I cant believe they thought this beer would be OK to release. Where's the pumpkin? This literally tastes like simple syrup with cinnamon flavoring. Iron City is piss beer for local yinzers, so its to be expected that they'd make piss-poor attempts at craft.

2.16/5  rDev -37.8%

Overall I would not
buy it again it sucks

2.18/5  rDev -37.2%

Im going to try to remain as constructive as possible with this beer.
A. The color was coppery brown with little to no head, which isn't uncommon for Pumpkin ales.

S. Smell was STRONG CINNAMON!!! I couldnt detect any pumpkin smell, though the STRONG CINNAMON smell may have hidden it to be fair.

T. Like Toucan Sam it followed the nose. Really strong cinnamon taste that wasnt too bad at first, but made it really hard to finish. (Which I didn't. This was a quarter left drain pour.) No Pumpkin taste at all.

M. Very carbonated and almost gritty.

O. Overall I liken this brew to Jaw jacker, Really spicy beer without anything else going on.

2.38/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured 12 oz bottle into snifter glass. 7% abv

Appearance- Pours a dark copper with 2 finger head fast to dissipate. Pretty clear.

Smell- Lots of cinnamon and nutmeg. Some pumpkin poking through.

Taste- Sweet candy malt with a noticeable table sugar like taste. Very little pumpkin. Tons of spice notes, just as in the nose. A mouthful of cinnamon. Beer finishes extremely sweet with very little grainy malt or pumpkin.

Mouthfeel- Medium in body and carbonation.

Overall- I feel like I just did the cinnamon challenge after this beer. Obnoxiously sweet. Lacking on pumpkin and attentiveness to malt. Pass.

2.5/5  rDev -28%

Had a 16 oz glass on tap after dinner. I really did not like this beer at all. It was way too heavy on the spices for me. I saw someone drinking this with sugar and cinnamon on the glass rim. I can't imagine what that tasted like. It was really sweet without the added sugar. It also left a strange aftertaste....Don't know what that was? I would not drink this beer again.

2.68/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.8/5  rDev -19.3%

I was really hoping to like this but I can't say that I do. The mega dose of spices is way too far forward and it is super sweet. There may be some pumpkin in there but I can't seem to get to it. I would not order it again and would only recommend it as a change of pace from Woodchuck .

2.83/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.85/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.93/5  rDev -15.6%

Meh. Kind of a phony pumpkin taste. I tried it because I was told it was selling quickly but soon regretted having done so.

Block House Brewing Pumpkin Ale from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.