I.C. Light | Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

poor

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2001

My local go to beer

4.75/5  rDev +82%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best tailgating beer there is. Smooth easy drinking. Brewed in the best Damn football town there is.

4.74/5  rDev +81.6%

Ok I must admit I am pushing a local beer....But listen up y'all this beer is noted for starting the whole light beer trend. It was out WAY before low carb diets were the rage. It has a "full flavor" taste but yet is low in calories and carbs and contains just about the normal ABV as a regular beer. It is very smooth going down finishes clean and tastes great with wings, on a hot summer day or when I am parked in front of the TV watching my fave team play some football(and I'm sure you can guess who it is if you looked to see where the beer is made) AND THANK YOU for keeping it local!!! Try it peoples!!!!

4.5/5  rDev +72.4%

3.99/5  rDev +52.9%

Had a couple of cans left from an outdoor event sponsered by my local bar. It's in WV so my only choices were Macros. Went with a light beer as it was an all day event.

12oz can served in a pub glass.Clear golden with staw-like highlights. 1' white sudsy head fizzley out quick to a slight coating with a white ring. Not much lacing, little spotting with a few bubbles rising.

Sweet malty aroma with breaddy/doughy scents.Slightly toasty with a good bit of fruityness. Clean aromas nothing offensive.

Very clean,sweet maltiness with light toastyness. Grainy/straw-like with fresh fruity tastes,slighly metallic as it warms. Finishes crisp,clean with a fruity fade.

Light mouthfeel,not watery like a lot of light macros, has a grainyness tastes like beer even has a bite to it. My choice for sessioning a light macro, blows away BMC lite beers. Rated this beer compaired to other light beers out there. Can't belive more people don't drink this one.

3.99/5  rDev +52.9%

After drinking beer for over 40 years, this is my go to.

3.83/5  rDev +46.7%

3.8/5  rDev +45.6%

I poured this suprising beer into my tumbler at 40 degrees. I's summertime, shut up!
The beer was very light colored almost clear. The head did not last very long at all. I was pretty sure this beer would suck anyway since I'm not much on light beer. I will have to say though it was pretty darn good. A great summertime refresher brew. The taste was clean and fresh. I would certainly buy this beer again.

3.75/5  rDev +43.7%

3.7/5  rDev +41.8%

This beer appears in a bottle.

The smell is of bready malts.

The taste follows this, and actually I have noticed it tastes very fine out of the bottle. Some noticable hop character.

Mouthfeel is pretty average but it goes down smooth enough.

Drinkability is off the charts. Great for pre-gaming, or for that matter, during the game. Whatever sport you enjoy.

3.7/5  rDev +41.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle

this is one from the Mouth420 collection, the king of macros strikes again.

Nice bottle, good revamped label design. I had a feeling this one was going to pour a clear yellow and alas, it did, with a small white head. Decent nose i must say, a bit fruity, light but nothing foul at all, damn fresh and pretty inviting. Clean flavor of an American macro, decent balance is achieved. Light in body, very very drinkable. Not bad!

3.68/5  rDev +41%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My go to tailgating beer.

Goooo Steeeeelers

3.67/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look - slightly more color than most light lagers, more tint that most, head is white but must pour aggressively to get much of one and like other light lagers it does not stick around to lace the glass

Smell - nothing to brag about but again comparing to the other light lagers is is just slightly grainy/malty and mild hop aroma

Taste - is slightly grainy and malty and mild hop taste, again comparing to the other light lagers it is more flavorful

Feel - mouth feel is somewhere between lager and light lager but not thin like a Mich Ultra

Overall - it is the best of the light lagers and my go to if I am going to drink light lager. It's 94/95 calories and 2.8 carbs is friendly to my diabetic system. I think Pittsburgh Brewing Co. has done the most within the light lager category.

3.5/5  rDev +34.1%

3.49/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear gold color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Great retention and decent lacing. Smells of strong pale malt, slight sweet malt, hint of yeast, slight citrus hops, hint of caramel malt, and a hint of piney hops. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong pale malt, slight sweet malt, hint of yeast, slight citrus hops, hint of caramel malt, corn, and a hint of piney hops. Overall, good feel, decent aroma, appearance, and body.

3.42/5  rDev +31%

pours a very pale gold with 1/4" of soft, bubbly head that quickly fades to a thin lacing. There's a great deal of carbonation bubbles rising to the top. The smell is grainy with a nice grassy hop aroma. The taste is also grainy with a slight grassy hop character. There's a hint of an apple-like sweetness in the finish. Mouthfeel is light and crisp.

This is my first IC Light since leaving PA in '07. I can see why I drank so many of them back in the day. It's cheap, sessionable, and unoffensive.

3.35/5  rDev +28.4%

Maybe it was the "first-beer-of-the-day" syndrome (the first beer you have that day never tastes bad) but I really didnt think this was a bad brew at all. What I really liked was that IC light didnt seem to have that typical overcarbonated, burning-mouth sensation that a lot of other Lights have. It also has that interesting grass/hay/etc taste that all light beers have, like you are chewing on a mouthful of something that has been freshly cut from the ground. Goes down smooth and easy. Not bad at all.

3.35/5  rDev +28.4%

Here's the Pitt Light that I had consumed before finding Yuengling and liked. Now that they are brewing the bottled stuff in Latrobe, (and I haven't reviewed in in the bottle) here goes...

It poured a light yellow with no lace and first impression was water but the bubbles make it ginger ale. Not much scent, a little musty macro cheap beer scent. Smells like any other. Mouth was thin, with a corn grain aftertaste but nothing like a cheap macro. Actually just a slight hop bite too. Taste? Well, thin and any light, but the difference is, this one is pretty clean. Corn husk is light enough, minor alcohol in the middle, and slightly bitter hops. Hmmm. Yes, this is better than before, as it no longer has the slight skunk of old. I'd say this is much better than almost all the macro lights I've had. Just enough to be more than water, a lot less skunk than other light beers, I'd say, when I want a light, I'd get this.

3.31/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev +26.4%

Clear and a natural looking yellow. Beer mixed with water.

Not much. Faint beer smell.

Alright. A flash of malt then hop with the quickness.

Seltzer water carbonation.

Much better than bud or coors light. Like Miller but would buy instead since it is a smaller brewer. Alright light beer.

3.3/5  rDev +26.4%

Pours a clear, light yellow color with a small amount of white bubbly head that doesn't last long.

Not much in the nose, a little corn and some yeast.

The flavor is pretty much what you would expect; corn, yeast, some sweet malt.

Light bodied, crisp and thin, high carbonation.

This was probably one of the better macros out there, not something I would buy though.

I.C. Light from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.