Iron City Beer | Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Iron City BeerIron City Beer

Added by maxpower on 02-01-2002

Liked:
2.51/5
Alströms:

This is my go to beer at the bar. This taste like a beer. By that I mean if someone never had a beer and wanted to know what a beer tastes like I would hand that person an Iron City. It's not a weak tasting beer like light beer. It's not a strong tasting beer like an IPA. It just taste like a good ol'fashion beer.

A true beer drinkers beer. Not fancy just plain good.

4.5/5  rDev +79.3%

I have to qualify my feelings about IC beer. I do NOT like heavy hops IPA beers. A lot of mentions of ICB tasting like piss. I've never drunk piss, but I imagine the piss of an old drunk would taste like an IPA. I drink beer because I'm thirsty and I like a little buzz when I'm home on the weekends. ICB is refreshing, and doesn't make me want to go gargle to get rid of the obnoxious taste in my throat. Somebody mentioned PBR in their comparison with ICB. I really don't care for the the taste of PBR, or a heavy IPA when I'm thirsty, and that's the only time I drink beer. I don't give a crap about the head and how long it lasts - could we be a little more pretentious? Lacing? JC Almighty - it's BEER. I like a beer without a sour aftertaste, like most IPA's I've tried. I like Iron City Beer. I don't know what's wrong with your noses, I have never smelled any of the odors others have described. Maybe they should pick there noses and blow them before they drink. I wish ICB was distributed in VA, but it isn't. When my MIL was still alive, and we'd go visit her, I'd bring back 6 cases of IC Light, and a couple of regular IC. Beer drinkers that try to act like wine connoisseurs are a little over the top for me. It's beer, enjoy it when you're thirsty. If you want to get drunk drink Jack. I find is tastes and, smells very good, and it is refreshing.

This is Pittsburgh in a can......if you don't like it, LEAVE!

3.97/5  rDev +58.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Light and refreshing. Nothing to write home about.

3.93/5  rDev +56.6%

Monongahela river water is the secret!

3.9/5  rDev +55.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Here is my great sin...I love Iron City

I waited years before I finally got my first taste and even now I weigh all mass-market beers against its clean every-man taste.
It has a clear yellow color and decent head with a slight sweet hoppy smell that tells you this isnt some fancey micro-brew.
The taste is pure old school americana, best served ICE cold and enjoyed after you finish up the lawn. To me this is heads above the Buds or Coors products and yes even over the new trendyness of Miller.
Paid: $3.99 for a 6pk

3.9/5  rDev +55.4%

Ok, I love Iron City. It may be from the history or something, I don't know. Always loved drinking it at Steelers games, so I may be a little biased. I still like though. Have to admit, have not tried it since it is now brewed in Latrobe. It may not be the same, but I have always thought Iron City is what represents Pittsburgh. It has been there since the the 1800's.

3.85/5  rDev +53.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle purchased in Fort Lauderdale, Florida (not sold in Louisiana). Iron City Beer has an almost nonexistent, white head, and a clear, golden-yellow, fairly bubbly appearance, and very little lacing. The aroma is a subtle grain, and taste is of sweet grain, biscuit, grass, and a touch of hop bitterness at the back end of the sip. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Iron City finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and dry. Drinkability is quite high with this. Overall, I think it's a good American-style lager, and I suggest you try it.

RJT

3.85/5  rDev +53.4%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a dry pale malt scent along with a lager yeast aroma. I guess there are adjuncts present, but it seems maltier than most macros. The taste is good. It has a smooth, crisp pale malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes dry and clean. It has good flavor for a macro lager. It's not at all watery. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good lager. Everyone always jokes about this beer, but I like it. It's a good drinker.

3.85/5  rDev +53.4%

Every now and again I'm surpised when I try a beer that gets poor reviews on Beer Advocate.

Iron City isn't a spectacular beers. It's not special in almost any way. It has a commonplace yellow color. It doesn't have much aroma. But, it's a perfectly delicious session lager.

Compared to major brands one might fill a cooler with for the beach, Iron City stacks up nicely - and beats them all. Barbequeing outside? A nice beer to stand with next to the grill.

Iron City won't win any brewing medals, but keep a six pack in the fridge and you won't find anyone turning it down at a party.

3.75/5  rDev +49.4%

3.72/5  rDev +48.2%

3.7/5  rDev +47.4%

My younger son lives in Pittsburgh, and I buy a couple of cases each time that I visit him. (I haven't found it anywhere here in Rochester).

It pours a nice head, and leaves lacing on the side of the mug. Just right carbonation.

I like this beer a lot. It tastes good with food, and I find it to be very refreshing. I'm worried about the brewery and hope that the bankrupcy judge doesn't pull the plug on them.

3.69/5  rDev +47%

30 pack at Beer Arena in Belle Vernon, Pa for $15. This is a solid American Lager. Smells like beer and tastes like a beer. Obviously, it does not compare to craft brews (see price), but it is still decent enough to palate.

3.68/5  rDev +46.6%

3.6/5  rDev +43.4%

Decent mainstream lager. Light hopped and kind of sweet. No lingering after taste.

Every bottle or can is kind-of an adventure because there seems to be a lack of consistency.

If your going to drink other undistinguished beers like Budweiser, Pabst, or Miller, give Iron City a shot.

Iron City Beer from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.7% out of 100 with 534 ratings