Old German

Old GermanOld German
Notes:
Reviews: 49 | Ratings: 125 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.06/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I found this beer at my local distributor, 15 pack for $9.99. The marketing is nothing special, it's a silly german caricature with a red banner.

Let's be real, this is not gourmet beer, it's a cheap (really cheap) lager you get when you want a buzz without spending more than your spare change. For that class of beer, Old German is actually great. I wasn't expecting much for taste, but it has a decent carbonated hoppy flavor that beats anything Coors or Miller Lite. Personally, I love carbonated beer, so I may have a positive bias for the taste. I will say, though, this beer needs to be ice cold to enjoy. It's not a Bavarian import that tastes good warm, no sir. Put it in the cooler.

The best aspect of this beer, is that it isn't a headache in a can like natural ice or other dirt cheap beers out there. What I'm saying, is that it won't punish you the next day, so long as you don't go overboard.
Overall, a cheap, decent tasting light beer to go along with throwing football with the pals, or washing your motorcycle. I'd rather have Carlsberg Elephant, but I can't always justify 11 dollars for a six pack.

2.95/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

I had never seen or heard of this before but as soon as I saw a cheap fifteen pack I was hooked. The ridiculous caricature of a Bavarian is probably too stupid to be culturaly insensitive, but its close. Stupidly light color and perfect clarity: this looks like store brand apple juice. Nose doesn't seem to exist.

A little bit of malt sweetness and a respectable bread note. Otherwise kind of watery and blah overcarbonated in the finish, but for the style it is inoffensive and drinkable, if generic and mediocre.

2.54/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I saw this in my friend’s fridge the other evening and just had to try one. Never saw an “Old German Beer” before. Um, very light colored but hey it looks like beer. Smell...beery in a slight way. Taste, carbonated water with some slight malts. It’s really hard to pull a flavor out of this stuff. Feel...It had some suds to it. If you don’t want the underpowered flavor of some other junk adjunct light beer, then give this one a try.

3.28/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is a great beer for the money. $4.99 for a six pack of tall boys. There's nothing wrong with a good cheap honest American lager. Easily as good or better than Hamm's or Pabst depending on on your taste.

2.96/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of corn, some malts. Taste is the same as the aroma, very mild, almost like a light lager. Feels light bodied in the mouth and overall, nothing offensive, but boring. I guess at $13 for a case, I shouldn't complain.

2.76/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Old German pours exactly as you'd expect it to, yet even lighter. About as straw yellow as an AAL could be, with champagne bubbles and even a white champagne like head that bursts up, then falls back down. Light surface coverage, even lighter lacing.

An extra dose of skunk from the hops come along with bland cracked grain, honey and corn syrup. Not asking for an Oscar, that's obvious.

I didn't think it was possible, but it's even lighter than it looks. Carbonated water with just mentions of those aromas listed above transcending into the flavor.

Exceptionally light and dry, yet balanced. Leaves you kind of smacking your tongue to the roof of your mouth between sips. Did I mention it's dry?

Would I buy this again? Maybe not, but would I drink it again? Shit yeah, I'm easy. Throw some my way and I'll pound of few hundred with you. Uh oh... I think I'm getting a headache. Cheers!

3.17/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

An ok lager I had on tap. Not a sweet AAL as I expected, but also lacking a decent bitter pop.

Pours nicely light golden with a decent and fairly sustaining head.
Nose is mostly absent, but equally not off-putting.

Clean but somehow not crisp. There's a light lemony note that I wasn't expecting. To be honest, warmth wasn't a friend of this brew. It has a light soapy note to it which oddly didn't kill the beer for me. Unfortunately it took over the brew later into the taste.

Eh-I didn't enjoy this beer later as much as I found it ok early. Not gonna kill you, but not gonna rock your world either.

3.55/5  rDev +37.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cheap as all get out @ the beer junction in Seattle, Wa. I think I paid $5.99 a six pack?

Anyways it has a pale straw color, with lots of frothy head on top. 2-3 fingers' worth, and it recedes to a ring leaving diseased and dense lace.

Smells of straw, barley malt, corn, spice, munich hop.

A pleasant flavor of freshly ground and malted barley; sweetness is met with a sting of hop; some grassiness; and a pasty finish.

Feel is great for a lager...it's crisp, clean, refreshing, and leaves a slight pasty parch at the end.

Overall personal thoughts : This is the German version of Pabst Blue Ribbon. Tastes remarkably like it. Great flavor and feel, and I'm looking forward to the other 5.

3.66/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Finally decided to give this value brew a try. For the price I was not disappointed. Drinks like a BMC light beer with more flavor and character. One wonders, if this is truly brewed by the original German family recipe, do they use adjuncts or is it pure malt? Whatever the truth is, I would definitely go for this again as a hot summer day refreshment after yard work. The very faint yet enticing flavors of apple, citrus and caramel separate it from the other low calorie lagers.

2.02/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Really bad beer... bought a case. ($10). I'll wash cheap pizza down with this beer, but if that's my goal, hand me a PBR. Too sweet, oddly so. Skunky fruit/vegetable aromas going on. Yeah, this is barely beer. But it does say on the can "America Knows no Finer" so it must be good.

3.24/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. "Old German Premium Lager Beer"
12 oz. can, $10.59/24 pack case at Javie's Beverage, Phila., PA

I was pleasantly surprised by how clean this lager now is, especially given it's rank as a super economy beer. I'd tasted it many years ago and it wasn't nearly as polished.

It's a basic American adjunct lager with a crystal clear straw gold to gold body beneath an average sized head of bright white that drops readily to just a collar and leaves very little in the way of lacing.

The aroma displays a touch of apple and a hint of grainy malt but nothing more.

In the mouth it's light to light-medium in body and gently crisp.

The flavor offers the same apple and light malt note that the aroma suggests with a surprising clear note of hoppiness, which is of course fairly 'generic' in its character - if I had to guess I'd go with Cluster, but I'd also be surprised if those are even being grown anymore. It's minimally bitter, but that's all that's needed to balance it as there's really not that much malt, and it's just about as flavorful as many light beers. In fact, Bud Light has 110 calories whereas Old German only delivers 95.

That gets me to thinking... is this the same beer I tasted all those years ago, or is it even lighter than it was then? Probably not, just better brewed.

Overall it's a decent 'light' lager. I'd personally categorize it as a camping/fishing/hunting/beach/boating beer as it's definitely a "lawnmower beer". It's crisp and clean and refreshing, and at just 4.2% abv you can have more than one.

3.36/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Looking at this according to style, even if the style isn't my favorite, it's a damn fine example of an adjunct lager. Nice copper/bronze color as good a head retention as one can expect from this style. Nose is faint, taste is better than any big three brew, feel is smooth and easy to drink. Overall a damn fine palate cleanser, yard work brew. Saying again, this review is according to style. Same goes when it's IPA or Foreign Export Stout, or Dopplebock, or Gose. It's to be rated by it's style, not how a sour compares to your favorite Cascadian Dark Ale.

3.53/5  rDev +36.8%

Contract brewed by City Brewing Company in Latrobe, PA, for Pittsburgh (Iron City) Brewing Company of, wink wink, Pittsburgh, PA. Originally brewed by Queen City Brewing Company in Cumberland, MD.

I've never seen Old German, not even in PA, so of course I found this at a corner store in Medford, OR. You know, right where you would expect to find a regional beer from southeastern PA.

A: An aggressive pour gives a two finger head that dies quickly and leaves some patchy foam and a thin ring. Light to even moderate lacing. Slightly darker than expected but still resembles any macro lager. Held to some light you can see tiny particles floating around. Overall it's pleasing for this style.

S: Sweet grains. Banana and very light caramel. Some non-metallic bitterness, meaning the bitterness doesn't smell like iron or coins. Salty. Clean and inviting. There is nothing stale, artificial, or off.

T: Upfront grain sweetness transitions to mild hop bitterness. There is a slight earthiness in there. My definition of balanced. Simple and enjoyable.

M: Carbonation is perfect for this beer at a medium-high level. Density compares to water but has an enjoyable slickness. Moderate tea-like drying after swallowing. Everything about Old German's mouthfeel begs you to take another drink.

O: Pittsburgh (Iron City) Brewing has a winner on their hands with this beer. This would easily compete against any of the BMC light beers. I'm really impressed at, and surprised by, how clean this beer tastes. I would put Old German into my rotation and make it my go-to light beer if it was available near me.

"The World Knows No Finer"

3.26/5  rDev +26.4%

Straight from Can

All you expect a cheap American Adjunct Lager to be but slightly better than bud et al as a little more maltyness.

Enjoy it more as it is a nostalgic choice as not available in my current area or where I lived when first drank as it was the best cheap get drunk stuff in the mountains of West Virginia when rock climbing, caving and drinking by cabins years ago.

So when outdoors in the sun and you plan to drink a bunch while doing nothing or holding one while playing frisbee - this is a good choice.

2.43/5  rDev -5.8%

24 fl oz. can (1 pint 8 oz.) with no apparent freshness date present. My first encounter with a can of this cheap swill, acquired at the local beer store for $1.99. Review #250 for me!

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours two fingers of fluffy bright white head on top of a crystal clear, pale yellow straw colored body. Some carbonation bubbles rushing to the top & the faintest tiny sediment bits floating around. Fat sheets of lacing as the beer recedes.

S - Smell is better than expected, considering the style. Sweet dusty malt smell, slightest hop tinge, and some earthy / lemon grassy qualities to it. Not a bad nose for a cheap American adjunct lager.

T - Taste follows the nose. Crisp, sweet, earthy grains, and some lemony grass qualities present.

M - Feel is crisp & clean, with some fair carbonation and high drinkability.

Overall, definitely not the greatest beer to pass my lips, but in the realm of cheap sh**ty American adjunct lagers, this beer soars above some of the bigger brand names like Budweiser, Miller Lite, & Coors. I would liken this beer to what the Minhas Name Tag Lager tasted like. Unknown abv, but a highly drinkable beer with a more than affordable price tag.

Pittsburgh Brewing Old German Premium Lager Beer ---2.5/5

Poured into "can" glass. Poured a pale light gold color, like a light Ginger Ale, with just a thin cap of white head that immediately dissipated and left no lacing.

The aroma and taste were just what I expected, the neutral, bland, slightly grainy scent of the style. The body was light and fizzy, with a slightly sweet finish. Drinkability was as expected, like bubbly water. Overall, not terrible. If one would be in the mood for a beer of this type, you could do much worse (Peeber, Ranier, Heineken, I'm looking at you). There, I ticked it!

2.65/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear yellow with a foamy off-white head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is quite subdued with malt, grain, and some slight grassy aromas. Taste is much the same with a grain flavor on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer with a watery, bland flavor that makes it a chore to drink.

3.35/5  rDev +29.8%

Pounder can into pint glass. Rest drank from the can.

Light golden color. Nothing amazing but not an artificial strange yellow color.

Malts, adjuncts, and faint whiff of booze.

Not bad. Actually reminds of Schlitz when it was cheap and before it got rebranded. Faint hop bitterness.

Light, seltzery, dry finish.

Not a bad. It is a cheap beer and is what it is. Worth trying.

3.24/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured from a 16oz can into a nonic pint. Body is really pale, I was surprised by how clear the beer was as I poured it from the can. Head stood about 1/2in after the pour, bubbles were large, retention was poor, it quickly recedes to a thin film that only covers about half the surface of my beer. Smell is of sweet grain, and just a touch of hops. In the taste I get some sweet grain, a touch of orange. Body is thin, with light carbonation. Overall, unimpressive, but it beats Coors light, maybe I'll keep some around for my light beer friends.

3.45/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Can poured into a pint glass.

Poured vigorously into a pint glass to generate a head that lingered longer than most adjunct lagers. The color is typical pale straw yellow. The smell is sweet with a slight metallic twinge and a little bit of hops noticeable. This beer is extremely sweet flavored. The aftertaste is a little bitter but barely enough to balance the malt of adjunct grains. The mouthfeel is light and watery. For the extremely cheap price this a damn fine American adjunct lager. I will buy it anytime I am poor. I used to drink this in high school many years ago when I didn't even really enjoy beer and certainly didn't know good beer. This is one that got me into beer drinking.

2.8/5  rDev +8.5%

Look it is, what it is....Nothing special, but when you picked up that sick pack of tall boys you were looking for in depth flavor of highly kilned malts, citrus, pine, and mango bursts dancing on your tongue from cross bred hops, a sour cherry pucker, huge twang of horse blanket, and multi level earthyness from a complex wild yeast.

No, you we're looking to get drunk cheap, and that is what this beer is good for. You made a right coice, it is almost always cheaper than pbr, and tastes fucking better. So that keeps you cool with your hipster friends.

It can stand up to budweiser, and just like it finishes quite dry, but has a spicy, peppery quality to the yeast.

Coors light, out the way for easy drinking because as soon as it goes down, you just want to continue.

And shit, I will throw out some easy to drink cheap euro lagers that seemed to be the rage in beer 15 years ago, this can of old german, is right there with you, pilsner and kolsch like, offers clean yeast profile, but with subtle spicy, earthy character to it. Its just worth it. It is one of the cheapest beers you can buy, just try it...

Why did I rate so low? Well its BA, I dont want someone to look on my highest ratings and see this in the top fucking five...I drink this beer, you should too....But we are beer geeks, and elitists so we should be ashamed for drinking something like this

Crankin', stankin', KA-Blankin' brew that I purchase regularly after visiting my Father in Maryland. OK...so it isn't the greatest beer on the block! It IS, however, noteworthy and quite good for it's origin and intention! Hoist it loud and proud!

1.93/5  rDev -25.2%

6 pack 16 oz cans from Fred Meyer, Wilsonville. $4.59 Have never ever seen this before but i was attracted b the odd,kitchy 1930s style label art. Not even going to attempt a pour but ts just fine and dandy from the can. Aroma is typical cheap American macro-lager cereal,paper,slightly sour. Taste pretty bland, some cereal, a touch of lemon then seltza water basically Very thin..just water really on the palate. Its drinkable but barely beer..i was actually expecting more seeing the old style can

3.03/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Pilsner glass. How can you not buy a beer called "Old German"?

Appearance: clear straw-hued body with a finger of pillowy white foam which dissipates quickly. Unexciting, but I've seen worse.

Smell: light malt aroma that has this very light but unfortunate plasticy tinge to it. It's not corny, which is great, but that plastic aroma just doesn't work for me.

Taste: light malt flavor with a little hop bite to it. Not much there, but no glaring flaws.

Mouthfeel: light-lager mouthfeel with a pretty good level of carbonation. I'd say it fills the bill for being refreshing.

Overall: I couldn't really rate the flavor very high because there isn't much flavor here. Still, the relative lack of off-flavors means this is a pretty decent adjunct lager.

1.71/5  rDev -33.7%

A - Typical adjunct lager appearance. Yellow beer, white fizzy head with little retention, no lacing.

S/T - Nose is acrid with cereal grains and hints of fecal matter and a bit metallic. Taste is a little less offensive than the nose, but that's not saying much.

M - Light body, very highly carbed. Finishes with a nasty residue coating the mouth.

O - Just another adjunct lager.

Old German from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 64 out of 100 with 125 ratings