Old German

View: Beers
Reviews: 49 | Ratings: 125 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Zorro:
1.72/5  rDev -33.3%

Nothing like seeing a beer you bought 6 of with a D+ rating, hope it is better than that.

Clear yellow colored beer with a small white head.

Smell is strongly vegetables with a very slight hop scent. This really does smell like hell!

Taste is nothing, maybe a very slight lemon flavor from hops. Club soda with lemon and that is all that is here. But unlike the smell this doesn't taste bad.

Club soda with lemon deserves a 1 for mouthfeel.

Yeah you can swallow it. I have 5 more of these damn things! Might dump them down the drain to get the Aluminum back.

Old German... wow, what a wonderful beer. I fancy myself a bit of a philosopher so please allow me to employ a Platonic theory to attempt to convey the euphoric experience of drinking a 40oz Old German. According to Plato every perfect thing exists in a separate world, the ideal world if you will. The only things that we humans ever get to experience are imperfect representations of things that exist in that other realm. For example, the perfect chicken wing exists, but no mouth will ever savor it... the closest we'll ever get to that are dozens of deep fried, variously seasoned imperfect attempts at perfection. "Oh cruel world, who will deliver us from this endless cycle of mediocrity?" I hear you cry. Why it's the the Pittsburgh Brewing Co.! Finally, by the grace of our creator a perfect beer! The pinnacle of whose perfection can be fully appreciated when paired with a glazed doughnut or a slice of birthday cake. And for $10.50 a case! Life is good my friends.

3.03/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Pilsner glass. How can you not buy a beer called "Old German"?

Appearance: clear straw-hued body with a finger of pillowy white foam which dissipates quickly. Unexciting, but I've seen worse.

Smell: light malt aroma that has this very light but unfortunate plasticy tinge to it. It's not corny, which is great, but that plastic aroma just doesn't work for me.

Taste: light malt flavor with a little hop bite to it. Not much there, but no glaring flaws.

Mouthfeel: light-lager mouthfeel with a pretty good level of carbonation. I'd say it fills the bill for being refreshing.

Overall: I couldn't really rate the flavor very high because there isn't much flavor here. Still, the relative lack of off-flavors means this is a pretty decent adjunct lager.

3.26/5  rDev +26.4%

Straight from Can

All you expect a cheap American Adjunct Lager to be but slightly better than bud et al as a little more maltyness.

Enjoy it more as it is a nostalgic choice as not available in my current area or where I lived when first drank as it was the best cheap get drunk stuff in the mountains of West Virginia when rock climbing, caving and drinking by cabins years ago.

So when outdoors in the sun and you plan to drink a bunch while doing nothing or holding one while playing frisbee - this is a good choice.

2.2/5  rDev -14.7%

pours a flat light golden (sort of like flat ginger ale) with no head and very little carbonation. smells of roasted corn. I had to do a "double sip" on this because it really has next to no taste. It's like diluting an average macro 50/50 with water. It's not offensive, just so mild that it's hard to put a finger on anything. It does have a bit of a husky corn aftertaste to remind you that it wasn't water that you just tried. this is light, very light. I dumped it.

2.68/5  rDev +3.9%

Exceptionally light yellow color, topped by a large bubbled white head. The head actually shows pretty good retention, and fades to a thin ring around the edge of the glass. The aroma is faint, with a slight grassiness and a good dose of macro beer smell. The taste is fairly crisp, with a hint of maltiness, followed by a touch of sweetness, and then actual bitterness on the finish. Nothing great, but not as offensive as many macros. The aftertaste is a lingering bitter-sweet slightly better-than- a macro taste. The mouthfeel is acceptable, and the drinkability is a little better than average. The can reads "The world knows no finer" and then right underneath it Pittsburgh Brewing Company. After drinking the beer, I'd say it means they're the best Pittsburgh Brewing, cause it sure doesn't mean the beer. But hey, for $2.50 a sixer, I'd take this over any other bargain beer any day. Heck, I'd take this over Bud any day.

3.24/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. "Old German Premium Lager Beer"
12 oz. can, $10.59/24 pack case at Javie's Beverage, Phila., PA

I was pleasantly surprised by how clean this lager now is, especially given it's rank as a super economy beer. I'd tasted it many years ago and it wasn't nearly as polished.

It's a basic American adjunct lager with a crystal clear straw gold to gold body beneath an average sized head of bright white that drops readily to just a collar and leaves very little in the way of lacing.

The aroma displays a touch of apple and a hint of grainy malt but nothing more.

In the mouth it's light to light-medium in body and gently crisp.

The flavor offers the same apple and light malt note that the aroma suggests with a surprising clear note of hoppiness, which is of course fairly 'generic' in its character - if I had to guess I'd go with Cluster, but I'd also be surprised if those are even being grown anymore. It's minimally bitter, but that's all that's needed to balance it as there's really not that much malt, and it's just about as flavorful as many light beers. In fact, Bud Light has 110 calories whereas Old German only delivers 95.

That gets me to thinking... is this the same beer I tasted all those years ago, or is it even lighter than it was then? Probably not, just better brewed.

Overall it's a decent 'light' lager. I'd personally categorize it as a camping/fishing/hunting/beach/boating beer as it's definitely a "lawnmower beer". It's crisp and clean and refreshing, and at just 4.2% abv you can have more than one.

1.59/5  rDev -38.4%

A forty of Old German as old Herman flaunts his chalice full of godly nectar at us he forms a grin full of smug audacity toward us...his patrons while realizing that his joy is related to the fact that we are imbibing upon this piss that passes by his presence as he enjoys his favorite Belgian specialty served in proper glassware...fuck Herman. Anyway now that I've stated my peace...let's look at it as it forms an apple juiced tone golden body with a large bubbled overly carbonated artificially carbonated foamy white head dwindles almost instantly upon the pour leaves behind specks of scarce lacing. Aroma cooked veggies, cereal grains corn and rice some sweetness and no hop character leaves me wanting so much more. Flavor full of a crazy gag inducing sweetness with so much offness that it deserves no warning to the silly consumer (myself)...yep I knew what I was getting myself into. No clean crispness as a coating layer of grotesqueness enters my palate literally all of the undesireable flavors simply camp out on your palate no smooth or crisp characteristics to this one high carbonation that tickles the throat with each sip...sorry folks keep bottling it for the novelty it was worth my $1.59 plus tax. Drinkability...let's just say it was fun drinking this legendary western PA brew that I could definitely see why it's rep has followed it.

2.83/5  rDev +9.7%

For a relatively inexpensive brew, with the simplest of packaging, this beer is pretty good...I was surprised. The colour is a light gold with a pretty crown which quickly leaves..with the exception of some serious glass cling and ring...the body is weak but the taste is acceptable...well balanced and crisp.Strong skunky aroma when first decapped.

4.59/5  rDev +77.9%

2.32/5  rDev -10.1%

My wife and I were in a cheap lager mood so I ventured out to find something that fit the bill. Sadly, none of our usual were available, and I sure as hell wasn't going to buy Coors, so I came home with this silly beer. Packaging is a 16oz can that looks as generic as the dog food my grandpa gave his hunting dogs.

Pours just this side of clear with a subtle dose of carbonation. A rather sad looking beer, so I'll drink the rest from the can.

Aroma is weak, and suggests that malt might have been included in the brewing process somewhere.

Taste is similarly weak. There's no single item to point out flaw with, but nothing really to describe either. To borrow a phrase, the taste of cold compliments the beer.

Despite it's lack of complexity, it does drink way too easily and I'm left with a nice, optimistic feeling about everything else, which is kind of what I was going for when I made the purchase.

1.93/5  rDev -25.2%

6 pack 16 oz cans from Fred Meyer, Wilsonville. $4.59 Have never ever seen this before but i was attracted b the odd,kitchy 1930s style label art. Not even going to attempt a pour but ts just fine and dandy from the can. Aroma is typical cheap American macro-lager cereal,paper,slightly sour. Taste pretty bland, some cereal, a touch of lemon then seltza water basically Very thin..just water really on the palate. Its drinkable but barely beer..i was actually expecting more seeing the old style can

1.85/5  rDev -28.3%

For some reason, my fancy beer store started carrying this last week, so I figured for 75 cents I could take a can home and try it out for educational purposes. Note to my customers: if I recommend this to you, it's because you have somehow severely wronged me at some point in the past.
Pours a startingly clear pale yellow, topped by a fizzy white head that promply retreats to nothing. Aroma of adjunct malt and corn, with a faint whiff of cooked veggies. Palate is not as bad as others have claimed, but by that I mean only that it's not totally offensive. Slightly sour, slightly skunky, with adjunct malt providing the only character. Body is thin and fizzy. Won't be trying this again.

2.75/5  rDev +6.6%

2.38/5  rDev -7.8%

Having spent a lot of time in Da 'Burgh, I CAN't understand why I never saw this in a CAN and had to trade for it. Oh well.

From the CAN: "Premium Lager"; "The World Knows No Finer".

My pour resulted in a rocky finger of bone-white head with low retention. The color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose belied this being listed as a "German Pilsener". Hooey! This smelled like every other cereal-extended "American Adjunct Lager" in a CAN that I have subjected myself to since the CANQuest (tm) began. Sweetish, with that dead giveaway cereal-grain smell underlying what might otherwise be a decent beer. The mouthfeel was thin and fizzy with a very light sweetness on the tongue. Finish was slightly dry and mostly tasteless. It is definitely a lawnmower beer or a nostalgia beer, but beyond that, unless you are on a CANQuest (tm) of your own, I would not recommend it.

2.5/5  rDev -3.1%

2.25/5  rDev -12.8%

2.31/5  rDev -10.5%

Got the "Value Pack" 24 cans from Beer World in Pa and wanted to try this cheap PBC beer that might be as good as Evil Eye Honey Brown and just as light on the wallet.

It pours light, clear and with a good head and plenty of carb bubbles so it wins points as slightly above average in appearence. A little skunk to the smell so just below. It smells like any other lager.

It's average washing across the palette , just like any beer. Taste?

I drank several of these from the can at my first and second sitting, trying to see if this would be a good everyday drinker.. Lots of corn and water with a slight alcohol flavor. It mixed okay, but was very light on flavors. Only when I had this in a glass could I taste a metallic twinge. As a "german pilsner" it is slightly different than many Americans and tastes better than the cheapest American macro but it just didn't hold my taste. I switched beers after 2 each time. I also have to wonder about it's affects on the system after having a few. (German Screamers?)

Crankin', stankin', KA-Blankin' brew that I purchase regularly after visiting my Father in Maryland. OK...so it isn't the greatest beer on the block! It IS, however, noteworthy and quite good for it's origin and intention! Hoist it loud and proud!

1.46/5  rDev -43.4%

Appearence: Poured into my St. Bernardus Goblet (probably the first time this beer has ever graced a goblet) a very light yellowish gold with no head at all.

Smell: The smell is an actually bearable smell of malts with faint hop bitterness.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Wow. That is really bad. Honestly, I don't understand why people drink something that tastes this awful. Why would you drink beer that doesn't even taste like anything? You'd think people would want something flavorful or interesting or even high proof. But, no. People flock to this garbage like flies flock to fresh dog shit on a hot day. And you know what? I bet what they're eating tastes better than this horrible mixture of fake malts, no hop bitterness, and a horrible, horrible cereal aftertaste that lingers on forever.

Drinkability and Overall: Um, I think I summed it up already.

2.35/5  rDev -8.9%

A- Pale Straw with a small, white, foamy, quickly diminishing head.
S- Quite the adjunct stink. Cooked corn with a little cereal.
T- OK. It’s not good but it’s an improvement over the nose. Adjunct-heavy, yes, but some semi-decent grainy malt and some hops dryness on the finish.
M- Light body, watery texture turning dry, moderate carbonation
D- Nothing good, but a decent lawn-moving beer. Best thing about this beer is that it’s cheap.

1.8/5  rDev -30.2%

Presentation: White 12 oz can, Famous Herman the German graphics pictured

Appearance: Not willing to pour this into a glass, but it appears to be a crisp, clear yellow

Smell: Grains, alcohol, very sharp

Taste: Better that a Natty, but not much. Induces slightly less grimacing

Mouthfeel: Too much carbonation, very thin also

Drinkability: Extra points for smoothness! It beats some of the bargain-barrel competition here.

Notes: Dirt-cheap, and has a certain charm to it. The world knows no finer?!

2.15/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Couldn't decide between this and a can of Miller High Life. Picked this for the "cute" factor. Oops. Even though it doesn't necessarily taste any worse, it just doesn't have that, uh...

Very pale straw pour with a short lasting head that leaves very little residual carbonation behind.

Smell... very clean, though it does have some grassy hops and slight rough raw graininess.

Taste? Not much. Hints at a beer flavor of some sort, but doesn't quite get there all the way.

You could drink a couple of these if you weren't really paying attention, but if your mouth catches up with you, you'll put it down in pretty short order.

3.71/5  rDev +43.8%

I picked up a case of this for our 10th annual "Brewgiving" last November. "The world knows no finer," the German guy doing the Lyndie England; we were all quite critical at first. How surprised we were! Though the color is scary and disappointingly pale yellow, this is probably the best "cheap" canned beer I've had. The taste is complex when compared to other Pgh Brewing products and the unbelievably smooth character lets this brew go down fast and easy with no sign of stopping. A little on the carbonated side, but pretty tasty. The appearance is the downside so be sure to drink it straight from the can so you don't see it first, unless curiosity kills you. I always keep some on-hand for when the band comes over!

Old German from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 64 out of 100 with 125 ratings