Old German | Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

poor
Old GermanOld German

Pittsburgh Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
pittsburghbrewing.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2002

Old German... wow, what a wonderful beer. I fancy myself a bit of a philosopher so please allow me to employ a Platonic theory to attempt to convey the euphoric experience of drinking a 40oz Old German. According to Plato every perfect thing exists in a separate world, the ideal world if you will. The only things that we humans ever get to experience are imperfect representations of things that exist in that other realm. For example, the perfect chicken wing exists, but no mouth will ever savor it... the closest we'll ever get to that are dozens of deep fried, variously seasoned imperfect attempts at perfection. "Oh cruel world, who will deliver us from this endless cycle of mediocrity?" I hear you cry. Why it's the the Pittsburgh Brewing Co.! Finally, by the grace of our creator a perfect beer! The pinnacle of whose perfection can be fully appreciated when paired with a glazed doughnut or a slice of birthday cake. And for $10.50 a case! Life is good my friends.

Crankin', stankin', KA-Blankin' brew that I purchase regularly after visiting my Father in Maryland. OK...so it isn't the greatest beer on the block! It IS, however, noteworthy and quite good for it's origin and intention! Hoist it loud and proud!

3.75/5  rDev +48.2%

3.71/5  rDev +46.6%

I picked up a case of this for our 10th annual "Brewgiving" last November. "The world knows no finer," the German guy doing the Lyndie England; we were all quite critical at first. How surprised we were! Though the color is scary and disappointingly pale yellow, this is probably the best "cheap" canned beer I've had. The taste is complex when compared to other Pgh Brewing products and the unbelievably smooth character lets this brew go down fast and easy with no sign of stopping. A little on the carbonated side, but pretty tasty. The appearance is the downside so be sure to drink it straight from the can so you don't see it first, unless curiosity kills you. I always keep some on-hand for when the band comes over!

3.66/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Finally decided to give this value brew a try. For the price I was not disappointed. Drinks like a BMC light beer with more flavor and character. One wonders, if this is truly brewed by the original German family recipe, do they use adjuncts or is it pure malt? Whatever the truth is, I would definitely go for this again as a hot summer day refreshment after yard work. The very faint yet enticing flavors of apple, citrus and caramel separate it from the other low calorie lagers.

3.56/5  rDev +40.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.55/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cheap as all get out @ the beer junction in Seattle, Wa. I think I paid $5.99 a six pack?

Anyways it has a pale straw color, with lots of frothy head on top. 2-3 fingers' worth, and it recedes to a ring leaving diseased and dense lace.

Smells of straw, barley malt, corn, spice, munich hop.

A pleasant flavor of freshly ground and malted barley; sweetness is met with a sting of hop; some grassiness; and a pasty finish.

Feel is great for a lager...it's crisp, clean, refreshing, and leaves a slight pasty parch at the end.

Overall personal thoughts : This is the German version of Pabst Blue Ribbon. Tastes remarkably like it. Great flavor and feel, and I'm looking forward to the other 5.

3.53/5  rDev +39.5%

Contract brewed by City Brewing Company in Latrobe, PA, for Pittsburgh (Iron City) Brewing Company of, wink wink, Pittsburgh, PA. Originally brewed by Queen City Brewing Company in Cumberland, MD.

I've never seen Old German, not even in PA, so of course I found this at a corner store in Medford, OR. You know, right where you would expect to find a regional beer from southeastern PA.

A: An aggressive pour gives a two finger head that dies quickly and leaves some patchy foam and a thin ring. Light to even moderate lacing. Slightly darker than expected but still resembles any macro lager. Held to some light you can see tiny particles floating around. Overall it's pleasing for this style.

S: Sweet grains. Banana and very light caramel. Some non-metallic bitterness, meaning the bitterness doesn't smell like iron or coins. Salty. Clean and inviting. There is nothing stale, artificial, or off.

T: Upfront grain sweetness transitions to mild hop bitterness. There is a slight earthiness in there. My definition of balanced. Simple and enjoyable.

M: Carbonation is perfect for this beer at a medium-high level. Density compares to water but has an enjoyable slickness. Moderate tea-like drying after swallowing. Everything about Old German's mouthfeel begs you to take another drink.

O: Pittsburgh (Iron City) Brewing has a winner on their hands with this beer. This would easily compete against any of the BMC light beers. I'm really impressed at, and surprised by, how clean this beer tastes. I would put Old German into my rotation and make it my go-to light beer if it was available near me.

"The World Knows No Finer"

3.46/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.45/5  rDev +36.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Can poured into a pint glass.

Poured vigorously into a pint glass to generate a head that lingered longer than most adjunct lagers. The color is typical pale straw yellow. The smell is sweet with a slight metallic twinge and a little bit of hops noticeable. This beer is extremely sweet flavored. The aftertaste is a little bitter but barely enough to balance the malt of adjunct grains. The mouthfeel is light and watery. For the extremely cheap price this a damn fine American adjunct lager. I will buy it anytime I am poor. I used to drink this in high school many years ago when I didn't even really enjoy beer and certainly didn't know good beer. This is one that got me into beer drinking.

3.36/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Looking at this according to style, even if the style isn't my favorite, it's a damn fine example of an adjunct lager. Nice copper/bronze color as good a head retention as one can expect from this style. Nose is faint, taste is better than any big three brew, feel is smooth and easy to drink. Overall a damn fine palate cleanser, yard work brew. Saying again, this review is according to style. Same goes when it's IPA or Foreign Export Stout, or Dopplebock, or Gose. It's to be rated by it's style, not how a sour compares to your favorite Cascadian Dark Ale.

3.35/5  rDev +32.4%

Pounder can into pint glass. Rest drank from the can.

Light golden color. Nothing amazing but not an artificial strange yellow color.

Malts, adjuncts, and faint whiff of booze.

Not bad. Actually reminds of Schlitz when it was cheap and before it got rebranded. Faint hop bitterness.

Light, seltzery, dry finish.

Not a bad. It is a cheap beer and is what it is. Worth trying.

3.26/5  rDev +28.9%

Straight from Can

All you expect a cheap American Adjunct Lager to be but slightly better than bud et al as a little more maltyness.

Enjoy it more as it is a nostalgic choice as not available in my current area or where I lived when first drank as it was the best cheap get drunk stuff in the mountains of West Virginia when rock climbing, caving and drinking by cabins years ago.

So when outdoors in the sun and you plan to drink a bunch while doing nothing or holding one while playing frisbee - this is a good choice.

3.25/5  rDev +28.5%

3.25/5  rDev +28.5%

3.24/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. "Old German Premium Lager Beer"
12 oz. can, $10.59/24 pack case at Javie's Beverage, Phila., PA

I was pleasantly surprised by how clean this lager now is, especially given it's rank as a super economy beer. I'd tasted it many years ago and it wasn't nearly as polished.

It's a basic American adjunct lager with a crystal clear straw gold to gold body beneath an average sized head of bright white that drops readily to just a collar and leaves very little in the way of lacing.

The aroma displays a touch of apple and a hint of grainy malt but nothing more.

In the mouth it's light to light-medium in body and gently crisp.

The flavor offers the same apple and light malt note that the aroma suggests with a surprising clear note of hoppiness, which is of course fairly 'generic' in its character - if I had to guess I'd go with Cluster, but I'd also be surprised if those are even being grown anymore. It's minimally bitter, but that's all that's needed to balance it as there's really not that much malt, and it's just about as flavorful as many light beers. In fact, Bud Light has 110 calories whereas Old German only delivers 95.

That gets me to thinking... is this the same beer I tasted all those years ago, or is it even lighter than it was then? Probably not, just better brewed.

Overall it's a decent 'light' lager. I'd personally categorize it as a camping/fishing/hunting/beach/boating beer as it's definitely a "lawnmower beer". It's crisp and clean and refreshing, and at just 4.2% abv you can have more than one.

3.24/5  rDev +28.1%

Poured from a 16oz can into a nonic pint. Body is really pale, I was surprised by how clear the beer was as I poured it from the can. Head stood about 1/2in after the pour, bubbles were large, retention was poor, it quickly recedes to a thin film that only covers about half the surface of my beer. Smell is of sweet grain, and just a touch of hops. In the taste I get some sweet grain, a touch of orange. Body is thin, with light carbonation. Overall, unimpressive, but it beats Coors light, maybe I'll keep some around for my light beer friends.

3.22/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.18/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Water, but with alcohol.

3.17/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

An ok lager I had on tap. Not a sweet AAL as I expected, but also lacking a decent bitter pop.

Pours nicely light golden with a decent and fairly sustaining head.
Nose is mostly absent, but equally not off-putting.

Clean but somehow not crisp. There's a light lemony note that I wasn't expecting. To be honest, warmth wasn't a friend of this brew. It has a light soapy note to it which oddly didn't kill the beer for me. Unfortunately it took over the brew later into the taste.

Eh-I didn't enjoy this beer later as much as I found it ok early. Not gonna kill you, but not gonna rock your world either.

3.12/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.1/5  rDev +22.5%

I don't really see the pilsner style here it is a better than average american macro. Malty with just a kiss of hops and very drinkable. Decent head, some lacings, and an easy drinker. Not a beer I'm lusting after but I wouldn't turn one down if offered.

3.1/5  rDev +22.5%

I will defend this beer to death for its price. I understand its horrid reviews in the German Pilsener category but my love for it is as on the surface as can be. It's an $11 case of beer that does not offend in any way.

In a world of Natty, Beasts, and Lionheads... Old German holds my heart for the cheapest/easiest to down beer.

Obviously there are no overwhelmingly impressive characteristics about any of the five beer senses [A, S, T, Mf, or D].

Do NOT buy this beer because its a quality German Pilsener.

I DO buy this beer because I want to drink heavily or for its simple lawnmower qualities.

Old German from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.