Old German | Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

poor
Old GermanOld German

Pittsburgh Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
pittsburghbrewing.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2002

2.65/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear yellow with a foamy off-white head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is quite subdued with malt, grain, and some slight grassy aromas. Taste is much the same with a grain flavor on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer with a watery, bland flavor that makes it a chore to drink.

1.25/5  rDev -50.6%

3.24/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. "Old German Premium Lager Beer"
12 oz. can, $10.59/24 pack case at Javie's Beverage, Phila., PA

I was pleasantly surprised by how clean this lager now is, especially given it's rank as a super economy beer. I'd tasted it many years ago and it wasn't nearly as polished.

It's a basic American adjunct lager with a crystal clear straw gold to gold body beneath an average sized head of bright white that drops readily to just a collar and leaves very little in the way of lacing.

The aroma displays a touch of apple and a hint of grainy malt but nothing more.

In the mouth it's light to light-medium in body and gently crisp.

The flavor offers the same apple and light malt note that the aroma suggests with a surprising clear note of hoppiness, which is of course fairly 'generic' in its character - if I had to guess I'd go with Cluster, but I'd also be surprised if those are even being grown anymore. It's minimally bitter, but that's all that's needed to balance it as there's really not that much malt, and it's just about as flavorful as many light beers. In fact, Bud Light has 110 calories whereas Old German only delivers 95.

That gets me to thinking... is this the same beer I tasted all those years ago, or is it even lighter than it was then? Probably not, just better brewed.

Overall it's a decent 'light' lager. I'd personally categorize it as a camping/fishing/hunting/beach/boating beer as it's definitely a "lawnmower beer". It's crisp and clean and refreshing, and at just 4.2% abv you can have more than one.

2.38/5  rDev -5.9%

Having spent a lot of time in Da 'Burgh, I CAN't understand why I never saw this in a CAN and had to trade for it. Oh well.

My pour resulted in a rocky finger of bone-white head with low retention. The color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose belied this being listed as a "German Pilsener". Hooey! This smelled like every other cereal-extended "American Adjunct Lager" in a CAN that I have subjected myself to since the CANQuest began. Sweetish, with that dead giveaway cereal-grain smell underlying what might otherwise be a decent beer. The mouthfeel was thin and fizzy with a very light sweetness on the tongue. Finish was slightly dry and mostly tasteless. It is definitely a lawnmower beer or a nostalgia beer, but beyond that, unless you are on a CANQuest of your own, I would not recommend it.

2.5/5  rDev -1.2%

1.59/5  rDev -37.2%

A forty of Old German as old Herman flaunts his chalice full of godly nectar at us he forms a grin full of smug audacity toward us...his patrons while realizing that his joy is related to the fact that we are imbibing upon this piss that passes by his presence as he enjoys his favorite Belgian specialty served in proper glassware...fuck Herman. Anyway now that I've stated my peace...let's look at it as it forms an apple juiced tone golden body with a large bubbled overly carbonated artificially carbonated foamy white head dwindles almost instantly upon the pour leaves behind specks of scarce lacing. Aroma cooked veggies, cereal grains corn and rice some sweetness and no hop character leaves me wanting so much more. Flavor full of a crazy gag inducing sweetness with so much offness that it deserves no warning to the silly consumer (myself)...yep I knew what I was getting myself into. No clean crispness as a coating layer of grotesqueness enters my palate literally all of the undesireable flavors simply camp out on your palate no smooth or crisp characteristics to this one high carbonation that tickles the throat with each sip...sorry folks keep bottling it for the novelty it was worth my $1.59 plus tax. Drinkability...let's just say it was fun drinking this legendary western PA brew that I could definitely see why it's rep has followed it.

2.5/5  rDev -1.2%

3.03/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Pilsner glass. How can you not buy a beer called "Old German"?

Appearance: clear straw-hued body with a finger of pillowy white foam which dissipates quickly. Unexciting, but I've seen worse.

Smell: light malt aroma that has this very light but unfortunate plasticy tinge to it. It's not corny, which is great, but that plastic aroma just doesn't work for me.

Taste: light malt flavor with a little hop bite to it. Not much there, but no glaring flaws.

Mouthfeel: light-lager mouthfeel with a pretty good level of carbonation. I'd say it fills the bill for being refreshing.

Overall: I couldn't really rate the flavor very high because there isn't much flavor here. Still, the relative lack of off-flavors means this is a pretty decent adjunct lager.

2.48/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass. Appears sickly yellow with a greenish tint.

Aroma of cereal grains and cooked veggies.

Taste: A bit gritty, sweet cereal/corn flavors are dominant. Flash of tea like hops. Then back to residual sweetness but no real bad off flavors.

Mouthfeel: High level of carbonation, finishes slightly dry.

Drinkability: Always wanted to try this one. Nothing special, thats for sure. Cases run about $12.50 around here which is pretty damn cheap. Sadly, it isn't worth it.

1.72/5  rDev -32%

Nothing like seeing a beer you bought 6 of with a D+ rating, hope it is better than that.

Clear yellow colored beer with a small white head.

Smell is strongly vegetables with a very slight hop scent. This really does smell like hell!

Taste is nothing, maybe a very slight lemon flavor from hops. Club soda with lemon and that is all that is here. But unlike the smell this doesn't taste bad.

Club soda with lemon deserves a 1 for mouthfeel.

Yeah you can swallow it. I have 5 more of these damn things! Might dump them down the drain to get the Aluminum back.

quite possibly the worst beer I have ever had

Poured into "can" glass. Poured a pale light gold color, like a light Ginger Ale, with just a thin cap of white head that immediately dissipated and left no lacing.

The aroma and taste were just what I expected, the neutral, bland, slightly grainy scent of the style. The body was light and fizzy, with a slightly sweet finish. Drinkability was as expected, like bubbly water. Overall, not terrible. If one would be in the mood for a beer of this type, you could do much worse (Peeber, Ranier, Heineken, I'm looking at you). There, I ticked it!

3.17/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

An ok lager I had on tap. Not a sweet AAL as I expected, but also lacking a decent bitter pop.

Pours nicely light golden with a decent and fairly sustaining head.
Nose is mostly absent, but equally not off-putting.

Clean but somehow not crisp. There's a light lemony note that I wasn't expecting. To be honest, warmth wasn't a friend of this brew. It has a light soapy note to it which oddly didn't kill the beer for me. Unfortunately it took over the brew later into the taste.

Eh-I didn't enjoy this beer later as much as I found it ok early. Not gonna kill you, but not gonna rock your world either.

2.43/5  rDev -4%

24 fl oz. can (1 pint 8 oz.) with no apparent freshness date present. My first encounter with a can of this cheap swill, acquired at the local beer store for $1.99. Review #250 for me!

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours two fingers of fluffy bright white head on top of a crystal clear, pale yellow straw colored body. Some carbonation bubbles rushing to the top & the faintest tiny sediment bits floating around. Fat sheets of lacing as the beer recedes.

S - Smell is better than expected, considering the style. Sweet dusty malt smell, slightest hop tinge, and some earthy / lemon grassy qualities to it. Not a bad nose for a cheap American adjunct lager.

T - Taste follows the nose. Crisp, sweet, earthy grains, and some lemony grass qualities present.

M - Feel is crisp & clean, with some fair carbonation and high drinkability.

Overall, definitely not the greatest beer to pass my lips, but in the realm of cheap sh**ty American adjunct lagers, this beer soars above some of the bigger brand names like Budweiser, Miller Lite, & Coors. I would liken this beer to what the Minhas Name Tag Lager tasted like. Unknown abv, but a highly drinkable beer with a more than affordable price tag.

Pittsburgh Brewing Old German Premium Lager Beer ---2.5/5

1.93/5  rDev -23.7%

6 pack 16 oz cans from Fred Meyer, Wilsonville. $4.59 Have never ever seen this before but i was attracted b the odd,kitchy 1930s style label art. Not even going to attempt a pour but ts just fine and dandy from the can. Aroma is typical cheap American macro-lager cereal,paper,slightly sour. Taste pretty bland, some cereal, a touch of lemon then seltza water basically Very thin..just water really on the palate. Its drinkable but barely beer..i was actually expecting more seeing the old style can

2.37/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

3.55/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cheap as all get out @ the beer junction in Seattle, Wa. I think I paid $5.99 a six pack?

Anyways it has a pale straw color, with lots of frothy head on top. 2-3 fingers' worth, and it recedes to a ring leaving diseased and dense lace.

Smells of straw, barley malt, corn, spice, munich hop.

A pleasant flavor of freshly ground and malted barley; sweetness is met with a sting of hop; some grassiness; and a pasty finish.

Feel is great for a lager...it's crisp, clean, refreshing, and leaves a slight pasty parch at the end.

Overall personal thoughts : This is the German version of Pabst Blue Ribbon. Tastes remarkably like it. Great flavor and feel, and I'm looking forward to the other 5.

1.95/5  rDev -22.9%

3.46/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.1/5  rDev +22.5%

I don't really see the pilsner style here it is a better than average american macro. Malty with just a kiss of hops and very drinkable. Decent head, some lacings, and an easy drinker. Not a beer I'm lusting after but I wouldn't turn one down if offered.

2.75/5  rDev +8.7%

2.7/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Old German from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.