I.C. Light Mango

View: Beers
Reviews: 23 | Ratings: 69 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Deego from Pennsylvania

4.69/5  rDev +90.7%

this one slaps beyond belief. top tier beverage for sure. if you dont back this brew, i honestly dont know why. quit lying to yourself. it slaps. fools need a lesson on good beer lmaooo

Jan 14, 2019
bigdaddystrazzy from Pennsylvania

3.92/5  rDev +59.3%

Went down as smooth as butter, very tasty as well. Yum! Could be a little sweeter. Tastes like flavoured water. Mango very fresh. Pretty ic look, tastes fire. It would have a better rating if they made shirts for it, I’ll give you guys a 5 if you send me a shirt

Jan 14, 2019
tone77 from Pennsylvania

3.55/5  rDev +44.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a clear 12 oz. bottle. Has a pale straw color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of sweet mango. Taste is mango, some grains, sweet, but not as much as the aroma would have suggested. Feels medium/light bodied in the mouth and overall this is one of the better beers I have had both from this style and this brewery.

Sep 15, 2018
Dodo2step from Pennsylvania

3.04/5  rDev +23.6%

A- Bland gold with half finger head that dissipates quickly.

S- pungent mango with minimal malt

F- sweet mango with watered down feel

M- watery and light and mango

O- better than expected.

Jun 08, 2018
hoptheology from South Dakota

2.23/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Pale gold color with zero head. Lots of clarity.

Aroma is of moldy broccoli, stewed beets, and mango puree.

The initial/base flavor is really awful, like used chewing tobacco, but it's entirely grainy. Then a nice mango flavor comes in - whether it's artificial or real, I guess it doesn't matter, because it takes over the nasty flavor so it's a welcome arrival. The finish is of mango/grapefruit lozenge. A general rotten flavor sustains throughout the profile.

Feel is nonexistent. Just very thin, empty. Clean though. Nice carbonation. Light chalkiness.

Overall, much less impressive than the Berry flavor. I didn't like this one at all.

Feb 03, 2018
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

3.12/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. "I.C. Light Mango"
12 fl. oz. clear glass bottle. Ink Jet packaging information is worn and illegible.
$2 @ Weis, Conshohocken, PA

The label for Pittsburgh Brewing Co.'s I.C. Light mango is basically the recipe: it's I.C. Light with "NATURAL FLAVORS AND ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS" added. That sound a little bit harsh, but it actually gives it pleasant, and surprisingly realistic mango flavor. The only surprise is that it's also lightly skunked ~ and I'm assuming it's only lightly skunked because there aren't that many hops in there to begin with. Still, it doesn't come across as "sweet", even with the additional sweeteners. It's an interesting and enjoyable light beer that would be perfect for summer, and at just 3.8% ABV you could drink a few if you wanted to. A very good entry into the fruited light beer category.

May 15, 2017
WoodBrew from Ohio

3.29/5  rDev +33.7%

My senior manager brought a 4pck from PA. It was 95F with high humidity today with real feel being 103F.....this tasted awesome. It poured a golden clear with initial white head that eventually dissapated leaving no lace. The scent was mango. The taste was light beer with mango flavoring....bordering a shandy. The Mouthfeel was lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall it's decent and great on warmer days

Jul 24, 2016
57md from Pennsylvania

2.83/5  rDev +15%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.75

Drank the pale straw liquid straight out of the clear bottle. Even through the small opening, I could smell the essence of mango. This offering also tastes like mango but it also borders on being soda with some alcohol mixed into it.

Aug 23, 2015
misternebbie from Pennsylvania

I really cant say anything positive about this beer, except that its a beer that I crave once and awhile in the hot humid PA summers. Good beer to drink if someone else has bought it.

Aug 27, 2014
rhoadsrage from Illinois

2.75/5  rDev +11.8%

(Served in a strange)

A- 3 This beer pours a crystal clear hue of straw yellow with a pale white head of big bubbles that is soon gone but supported by a racing carbonation.

S- 3 The dry aroma of mango jolly ranchers is all the comes through although it remains soft.

T- 3 The light dry mango flavor is ripe with a soft dry candy and powdery flavor in the finish.

M- 2.5 The medium mouthfeel has a spicy soda pop fizz that cuts any flavor and cleans the finish.

O- 2.5 The soft mango note is nice but that is all there is and it is more like soda pop that beer.

Aug 18, 2014
ckollias from Maryland

2.5/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Enjoyed this bottled brew out a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a golden hue with a minimal white head that quickly dissipates.

S: Fruity mango aroma.

T: yep – fruity mango flavor too.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Just an ok fruity brew.

Sep 03, 2013
TMoney2591 from Illinois

2.44/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Served in a tumbler.

So it's the night before VDubb's wedding, and his brother and I trek off to the liquor store down the street. Nothing all that impressive or anything, but the six-packs of this stuff catch my semi-masochistic eye. How could such a ticker resist? Anyway, this stuff pours a clear pale brass topped by a finger or so of short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises hard water, very light mango syrup (decidedly artificial) and glass. Yes, glass. I don't think I've ever actually smelled glass before, even when putting my nostrils against a bottle, but that's how my brain sorted the scent-fraction that then accosted me. The taste holds notes of fake mango syrup and funky grains (think a skunked beer that's been allowed to recover its smell but not its taste). Why did i buy this? The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, this was pretty much as bad as I expected it to be. It also lives up to its description: it is a cheap light lager with fake mango flavoring (and not very much of it). Boo this noise.

Aug 26, 2013
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

3.22/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I have been curious to try this for a while and when I saw it in the cooler at Pizza Boy in Enola as a single, I snapped it up. I have always been more of an Arn man than an IC Light drinker, but curiosity was too much to overcome. Today has been a humid one and I imagine that this will taste good just as a light, refreshing drink.

My pour netted me two foamy fingers of bone-white head whose fluffiness reminded me of meringue. Color was a very pale-yellow with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. The color was somewhat bothersome as I have had micturations that were darker. Nose smelled like mango, which was nice. Mango, with its deep pink fleshy fruit and its earthy flavor always reminds me of something else that is very pleasant. Say no more. The mouthfeel was watery, but effervescent and definitely tasted of mango. Mango wango tango! Finish was cool and refreshing, just what I needed after the heat of the day. I probably would not want a whole bunch and the fact that they are only bottling it reduces the chances of it filling a cooler. If they were to begin CANning this, I might CANsider it for the cooler.

They listened to me! Today is Su, 09 April 2017 & I have a 16-fl. oz. CAN for review and inclusion in The CANQuest (tm)! Happy, happy, joy, joy!

From the CAN: "95 calories per 12 FL OZ Serving"; "Premium Light Beer".

For a CANQuester (tm), there is no more exciting sound than that of the Crack! as the vent in the top is opened. This excitement should be followed by an inverted Glug, in which the cylinder is held vertically and raised upwards as the liquid enters the awaiting glass. This CAN be tricky at first, but once the procedure is mastered, you CAN impress friends & family with your prowess. Actually, it cost me my ex-Old Lady, who accused me of trying to make a mess in her kitchen. Moi? Never! I produced a finger of fizzy, foamy, bone-white head as I Glugged, so I was able to nearly empty the CANtents, something that does not usually occur. Needless to say, wisps were the quick result. Color was Pale-Straw (SRM =1 -2) with NE-quality clarity. If nothing else, the nose smelled strongly of mango! Mmmm. I developed a taste for mango & other tropical fruits in the Navy. Taking on FF & V (fresh fruits & vegetables) in tropical ports was such an exciting thing that I would actually volunteer for the Working Party! Never volunteer, but if the opportunity arose, I would purloin a fruit or two for personal, unabated consumption later. I wasn't a malicious guy, but many times, I would miss meals due to being on the pier for one evolution or another & that fruit was a welcome sight. Speaking of tasting mango, this had it, in spades! Mango is not as sweet as they would have you believe. There is a slight tang to it, which causes me to be amazed at its popularity. Papaya is another really great fruit, but very pungent and with a unique meaty mouthfeel. Onward! Mouthfeel here was kind of thin and watery, which is to be expected in the style. Finish was semi-dry, fruity and very refreshing. I am a man of my word & some CANs will be going in my cooler this summer!

May 22, 2013
JamesPGH from Pennsylvania

3.84/5  rDev +56.1%

I saw enough of the "Mango Madness" billboards to finally pick up a six pack at Giant Eagle.

Appearance: a very pale yellow color. A head that fizzes up quick than disappears like soda. No lacing.

Smell: Surprisingly exactly what I would want from a summer fruit beer. Smells of sugar and mango with a malt backbone. Unlike a lot of brewers, who make fruit the main flavor and forget they're making beer, Iron City remembered this is beer and so I was happy to smell a grainy backbone behind the fruit. Bravo.

Taste: Again, like the smell Iron City remembers this is a beer. It has a carbonic bite to it, and a pleasant real tasting mango flavor to it with a beer backbone throughout.

Mouthfeel: I was going to rate this low but measuring this against the style (light/fruit beer) its appropriate to the style (Thin/ fizzy)

Overall: I normally don't like fruit beers because they forget that they're still beers. IC Light Mango has a beer backbone to it and the mango is only there to compliment which I really like. Overall I am mostly surprised and think that this beer may be a gateway into other more crafty fruit beers for the consumer.

Jul 15, 2012
Dray from Pennsylvania

1.59/5  rDev -35.4%

The beer is as advertised. That is a beer for people who don't like beer.
I got this at a bar as a sample while drinking a Sam Adams. It took 5 minutes of drinking water to cleanse my pallet from the Sam just to taste this beer.
Watered down and lacking any character at all.
Its worth noting that anyone that gives this beer a good or decent rating is most likely a yinzer, homeboy.

Its ok not to like something that comes out of Pittsburgh!! You can still love the "Stillers", its ok. Myron said you could.

Jun 30, 2012
chefhatt from Pennsylvania

i got this from a friend of mine. I poured into a glass, it ahs a pale yellow body with a quick fizzy head. The smell is fruity and sweet of mango. The taste is pretty much the same as the smell. The mouth feel is ok and overall this is a average summer beer.

Jun 10, 2012
argonautweekend

3.65/5  rDev +48.4%

I had a bottle of this at Jerome Bettis' Grille 36 on the North Shore of Pittsburgh. The menu said "Iron City Seasonal" which I knew was mango, guessing they release a new flavor every few years, but I only know of mango

Anyways, I bought this because I knew what it was. You can forget the mouth feel, appearance, or smell when it comes to this beer. All it is supposed to be is a summery, fruity, easy drinking beer. I'm not that big of a fan of the bold flavor of some beers, so this is a nice way to mix it up. The taste isn't obtrusive, pretty much just mangos and a little beer, and goes down clean and smooth.

I always tell my friends about how good it is. The laughs I get from them make me smile every time. Though with how easy drinking it is, it's easy to forget you had six of them and got drunk on a 3.8% brew.

May 10, 2012
OWSLEY069 from Pennsylvania

1.88/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours a clean pale yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, sugary and fruity. In the taste, small Czech hops and sugary fruity dry to sweet to dry. A sugary bite and light bodied mouthfeel, with a dry pils like aftertaste. Different for sure, too sweet and I cannot understand the mango. It's Pittsburgh, not the beach.

Sep 14, 2011
Stinkypuss from Pennsylvania

1.65/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

I.C. Light Mango

Appearance: 12oz single bottle. Sickly pale yellow bordering on white. Carbonated white grape juice appearance. Small head forms and crackles away to almost nothing.

Smell: Sugary, fruity, kool aid aromas upfront and cereal grains hiding. Sweet hell.

Taste: Watered down orange soda flavor, its not even mango. There is no malt, hops, or cereal grains present. Any beer flavors (which would have been bad anyway) are trumped by the overly sweet corn syrup flavor. Sugary, fruity, fizzy soda pop beer.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonated feel with a stinging bite of forced carbonation.

Overall: Why?

Aug 07, 2011
Hojaminbag from Colorado

2.23/5  rDev -9.3%

I've been hearing IC Mango commercials on the radio in the Burgh all summer, but I honestly thought it was some kind of joke until I was standing face to face with one of these bad boys. In my hand was a drink voucher good for one free Iron City product. Considering I already know that IC and IC Light suck, I figured Mango was my best choice, at least it's a novelty.

IC Light Mango has a light orange colored body. The white head lasts about 2 seconds before it disappears without a trace.

The aroma is sugary and made up mostly of Mango.

I have to be honest, this is exactly what I expected. Lots of sweetness to the point of being cloying, a syrupy, fake-tasting mango flavor and just a hint of grain in the background. The fact that there was anything resembling grain was an unexpected bonus at least.

Light and fizzy.

Plenty of breweries that brew good beer make crappy fruit-inspired brews that taste about as good as this one. With that thought in mind, and a comparison to the other IC products (oh yeah, I mean the whole line, I grew up with $8 cases of Old German), this isn't as bad as it could have been. Still a better marketing ploy than beer though.

Jul 30, 2011
Thorpe429 from Illinois

1.27/5  rDev -48.4%

Thanks to Tedwarhc for this bottle. Served in a tulip.

Pours a bright, bright light apricot color with loads of visible carbonation. Big fizzy white head comes and goes super-quickly, but leaves a touch of lacing on the sides of the glass, and there's a thin collar. The nose brings lots of sugar plus a bit of mango. The flavor is way overly sweet and cloying with a dash of mango. Prickly carbonation and it is sickly sweet. Avoid.

Jul 21, 2011
righthereisay from Pennsylvania

3.15/5  rDev +28%

First of all, WTF??? I purchased this out of intrigue. Iron City? A Mango beer? It's like a penguin in the Carribean, a a Cleveland team winning a championship, a Hot girl who drinks rare stouts...DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Anyways, I purchased since I basically had to figure out what they were thinking. Iron City? The Steeler beer? Mango?

Anyways, it smelled like Mango candy. All mango, no beer. Same with the taste. Less sugary than a wine cooler, but not by much.

At least it tastes better than Iron City/IC light. HOWEVER, I would never drink this beer at a Steeler game, as I may get killed. I will stick to the IC / IC light for Steeler games, and probably never purchase this again.

Mouthfeel isn't too bad, and it goes down quick. You really could throw these down all day at the beach, so I won't be too rough them. It is what it is.

Jul 17, 2011
WVbeergeek from West Virginia

1.5/5  rDev -39%

Pretty horrible concept let's compete with Miller Chill and Bud Light Llme with IC Light Mango. Pours a fizzy yellow pale golden color with a bright white fizzy head, fine specks of lacing left behind. Aroma is a candy citrus/tropical mango starburst mix of fruit. Not much else going on then artificial aromatics. Flavor fades from a fruit soda to a light lifeless beer, pretty interesting mix of how desperate these guys are. Mouthfeel is fizzy highly carbonated pretty much unoffensive. Overall I'm disappointed in Iron City as a whole and this is just one more step toward the inevitable fate they have in the future.

Jul 02, 2011
I.C. Light Mango from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 65 out of 100 with 69 ratings