1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

I.C. Light Mango | Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

I.C. Light MangoI.C. Light Mango

None provided.

View: Beers
Reviews by TMoney2591:
2.44/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Served in a tumbler.

So it's the night before VDubb's wedding, and his brother and I trek off to the liquor store down the street. Nothing all that impressive or anything, but the six-packs of this stuff catch my semi-masochistic eye. How could such a ticker resist? Anyway, this stuff pours a clear pale brass topped by a finger or so of short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises hard water, very light mango syrup (decidedly artificial) and glass. Yes, glass. I don't think I've ever actually smelled glass before, even when putting my nostrils against a bottle, but that's how my brain sorted the scent-fraction that then accosted me. The taste holds notes of fake mango syrup and funky grains (think a skunked beer that's been allowed to recover its smell but not its taste). Why did i buy this? The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, this was pretty much as bad as I expected it to be. It also lives up to its description: it is a cheap light lager with fake mango flavoring (and not very much of it). Boo this noise.

3.12/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. "I.C. Light Mango"
12 fl. oz. clear glass bottle. Ink Jet packaging information is worn and illegible.
$2 @ Weis, Conshohocken, PA

The label for Pittsburgh Brewing Co.'s I.C. Light mango is basically the recipe: it's I.C. Light with "NATURAL FLAVORS AND ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS" added. That sound a little bit harsh, but it actually gives it pleasant, and surprisingly realistic mango flavor. The only surprise is that it's also lightly skunked ~ and I'm assuming it's only lightly skunked because there aren't that many hops in there to begin with. Still, it doesn't come across as "sweet", even with the additional sweeteners. It's an interesting and enjoyable light beer that would be perfect for summer, and at just 3.8% ABV you could drink a few if you wanted to. A very good entry into the fruited light beer category.

1.5/5  rDev -38.8%

Pretty horrible concept let's compete with Miller Chill and Bud Light Llme with IC Light Mango. Pours a fizzy yellow pale golden color with a bright white fizzy head, fine specks of lacing left behind. Aroma is a candy citrus/tropical mango starburst mix of fruit. Not much else going on then artificial aromatics. Flavor fades from a fruit soda to a light lifeless beer, pretty interesting mix of how desperate these guys are. Mouthfeel is fizzy highly carbonated pretty much unoffensive. Overall I'm disappointed in Iron City as a whole and this is just one more step toward the inevitable fate they have in the future.

3.22/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I have been curious to try this for a while and when I saw it in the cooler at Pizza Boy in Enola as a single, I snapped it up. I have always been more of an Arn man than an IC Light drinker, but curiosity was too much to overcome. Today has been a humid one and I imagine that this will taste good just as a light, refreshing drink.

My pour netted me two foamy fingers of bone-white head whose fluffiness reminded me of meringue. Color was a very pale-yellow with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. The color was somewhat bothersome as I have had micturations that were darker. Nose smelled like mango, which was nice. Mango, with its deep pink fleshy fruit and its earthy flavor always reminds me of something else that is very pleasant. Say no more. The mouthfeel was watery, but effervescent and definitely tasted of mango. Mango wango tango! Finish was cool and refreshing, just what I needed after the heat of the day. I probably would not want a whole bunch and the fact that they are only bottling it reduces the chances of it filling a cooler. If they were to begin CANning this, I might CANsider it for the cooler.

They listened to me! Today is Su, 09 April 2017 & I have a 16-fl. oz. CAN for review and inclusion in The CANQuest (tm)! Happy, happy, joy, joy!

From the CAN: "95 calories per 12 FL OZ Serving"; "Premium Light Beer".

For a CANQuester (tm), there is no more exciting sound than that of the Crack! as the vent in the top is opened. This excitement should be followed by an inverted Glug, in which the cylinder is held vertically and raised upwards as the liquid enters the awaiting glass. This CAN be tricky at first, but once the procedure is mastered, you CAN impress friends & family with your prowess. Actually, it cost me my ex-Old Lady, who accused me of trying to make a mess in her kitchen. Moi? Never! I produced a finger of fizzy, foamy, bone-white head as I Glugged, so I was able to nearly empty the CANtents, something that does not usually occur. Needless to say, wisps were the quick result. Color was Pale-Straw (SRM =1 -2) with NE-quality clarity. If nothing else, the nose smelled strongly of mango! Mmmm. I developed a taste for mango & other tropical fruits in the Navy. Taking on FF & V (fresh fruits & vegetables) in tropical ports was such an exciting thing that I would actually volunteer for the Working Party! Never volunteer, but if the opportunity arose, I would purloin a fruit or two for personal, unabated consumption later. I wasn't a malicious guy, but many times, I would miss meals due to being on the pier for one evolution or another & that fruit was a welcome sight. Speaking of tasting mango, this had it, in spades! Mango is not as sweet as they would have you believe. There is a slight tang to it, which causes me to be amazed at its popularity. Papaya is another really great fruit, but very pungent and with a unique meaty mouthfeel. Onward! Mouthfeel here was kind of thin and watery, which is to be expected in the style. Finish was semi-dry, fruity and very refreshing. I am a man of my word & some CANs will be going in my cooler this summer!

(Served in a strange)

A- 3 This beer pours a crystal clear hue of straw yellow with a pale white head of big bubbles that is soon gone but supported by a racing carbonation.

S- 3 The dry aroma of mango jolly ranchers is all the comes through although it remains soft.

T- 3 The light dry mango flavor is ripe with a soft dry candy and powdery flavor in the finish.

M- 2.5 The medium mouthfeel has a spicy soda pop fizz that cuts any flavor and cleans the finish.

O- 2.5 The soft mango note is nice but that is all there is and it is more like soda pop that beer.

2.25/5  rDev -8.2%

3.04/5  rDev +24.1%

A- Bland gold with half finger head that dissipates quickly.

S- pungent mango with minimal malt

F- sweet mango with watered down feel

M- watery and light and mango

O- better than expected.

1.88/5  rDev -23.3%

Pours a clean pale yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, sugary and fruity. In the taste, small Czech hops and sugary fruity dry to sweet to dry. A sugary bite and light bodied mouthfeel, with a dry pils like aftertaste. Different for sure, too sweet and I cannot understand the mango. It's Pittsburgh, not the beach.

2.23/5  rDev -9%

I've been hearing IC Mango commercials on the radio in the Burgh all summer, but I honestly thought it was some kind of joke until I was standing face to face with one of these bad boys. In my hand was a drink voucher good for one free Iron City product. Considering I already know that IC and IC Light suck, I figured Mango was my best choice, at least it's a novelty.

IC Light Mango has a light orange colored body. The white head lasts about 2 seconds before it disappears without a trace.

The aroma is sugary and made up mostly of Mango.

I have to be honest, this is exactly what I expected. Lots of sweetness to the point of being cloying, a syrupy, fake-tasting mango flavor and just a hint of grain in the background. The fact that there was anything resembling grain was an unexpected bonus at least.

Light and fizzy.

Plenty of breweries that brew good beer make crappy fruit-inspired brews that taste about as good as this one. With that thought in mind, and a comparison to the other IC products (oh yeah, I mean the whole line, I grew up with $8 cases of Old German), this isn't as bad as it could have been. Still a better marketing ploy than beer though.

1.65/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

I.C. Light Mango

Appearance: 12oz single bottle. Sickly pale yellow bordering on white. Carbonated white grape juice appearance. Small head forms and crackles away to almost nothing.

Smell: Sugary, fruity, kool aid aromas upfront and cereal grains hiding. Sweet hell.

Taste: Watered down orange soda flavor, its not even mango. There is no malt, hops, or cereal grains present. Any beer flavors (which would have been bad anyway) are trumped by the overly sweet corn syrup flavor. Sugary, fruity, fizzy soda pop beer.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonated feel with a stinging bite of forced carbonation.

Overall: Why?

2.5/5  rDev +2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Enjoyed this bottled brew out a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a golden hue with a minimal white head that quickly dissipates.

S: Fruity mango aroma.

T: yep – fruity mango flavor too.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Just an ok fruity brew.

1.27/5  rDev -48.2%

Thanks to Tedwarhc for this bottle. Served in a tulip.

Pours a bright, bright light apricot color with loads of visible carbonation. Big fizzy white head comes and goes super-quickly, but leaves a touch of lacing on the sides of the glass, and there's a thin collar. The nose brings lots of sugar plus a bit of mango. The flavor is way overly sweet and cloying with a dash of mango. Prickly carbonation and it is sickly sweet. Avoid.

3.15/5  rDev +28.6%

First of all, WTF??? I purchased this out of intrigue. Iron City? A Mango beer? It's like a penguin in the Carribean, a a Cleveland team winning a championship, a Hot girl who drinks rare stouts...DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Anyways, I purchased since I basically had to figure out what they were thinking. Iron City? The Steeler beer? Mango?

Anyways, it smelled like Mango candy. All mango, no beer. Same with the taste. Less sugary than a wine cooler, but not by much.

At least it tastes better than Iron City/IC light. HOWEVER, I would never drink this beer at a Steeler game, as I may get killed. I will stick to the IC / IC light for Steeler games, and probably never purchase this again.

Mouthfeel isn't too bad, and it goes down quick. You really could throw these down all day at the beach, so I won't be too rough them. It is what it is.

3.55/5  rDev +44.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a clear 12 oz. bottle. Has a pale straw color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of sweet mango. Taste is mango, some grains, sweet, but not as much as the aroma would have suggested. Feels medium/light bodied in the mouth and overall this is one of the better beers I have had both from this style and this brewery.

2.75/5  rDev +12.2%

i got this from a friend of mine. I poured into a glass, it ahs a pale yellow body with a quick fizzy head. The smell is fruity and sweet of mango. The taste is pretty much the same as the smell. The mouth feel is ok and overall this is a average summer beer.

1.25/5  rDev -49%

I.C. Light Mango from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.