Bunker Gear Winter Ale | Fire Station 5 Brewing Company

Added by Reidrover on 10-11-2006

2.8

Reviews by Iguana:
2.91/5  rDev +3.9%

A winter beer I hadnt seen before so had to pick this one up. Pour's a coppery red with a huge frothy off-white head. Smell has faint hints of fruit, hops, and copper pennies. Nothing really bold or standout, have to get a good whiff to even smell anything. Taste is bland, a small surge of malty sweetness up front which almost immediately fades to nothing. Mouthfeel is watered down and thin, not memorable in the least. Drinkability I rated low simply because this beer seems devoid of flavor, I have no doubts that I could down a few of these in a session, but I wouldnt choose to, I drink for taste and this is just...lacking

2.81/5  rDev +0.4%

12 0z brown long neck. Quite a surprisingly attractive ale to look at dark amber almost brown, reddish tinges and a huge thick tan head, nice. Aroma is weak, but not unpleasant mostly choclate styled malts. Flavour again is all malt getting a little bitterness near the end, low carbonation , which i think helps this pretty thin "winter ale" Unfortunatlly some alcohol shows..pretty bad for a 6.5% beer. Too thin on the palte only saved by the low carbonation. Not a good beer really. Just the usual second rate stuff for this contract brew

3.21/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark copper color, with a decent head.

Aromas are pretty much non existent to me. I don't notice a thing. But at least it doesn't smell bad.

Beer tastes smokey. A smoked sweet malt quality is very apparent on this one. Finish is dry and a bit bitter and tart.

Mouthfeel is average. Nothing special here.

This beer is average at best. Not bad, but not very interesting either. I wouldn't seek this one out.

2.27/5  rDev -18.9%

Mahogany color pour with a cream colored head. Smells like a caramel malty sweet treat. Taste started off sweet but quickly fell into a bitter aftertaste mess. Left an astringent flavor in my mouth with a metallic feel as well.

I can’t say that I enjoyed this brew, it started with promise but fell short in delivery. I hope the other Fire Station Brews are better than this one...pretty cheap to obtain for a craft brew, but fell short, too short.

Bunker Gear Winter Ale from Fire Station 5 Brewing Company