Malz König | Stiftsbrauerei Schlägl

Added by sunrisesolara on 04-06-2010

Reviews by Bitterbill:
4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

500ml bottle

It pours a very dark brown with reddish hues, a nice +1 finger head of off white foam. As the foam shrinks slowly, I see some nice lacing left behind.

The smell is really strong on the caramel malt but I'm also getting some roasted malt with a slight hint of some hop bitterness.

This beer is called Malz Konig for a reason; it's a malt bomb! Yes!. Huge caramel malt is in my face, kind of like at the level of Doppelbock intensity. A good show of roasted malt and some chocolate do a good job of keeping me interested in every sip. It's hard for me to pull out anything close to being bitter but I don't need it. This is a malt forward and very tasty Dunkel!

An ever so smooth mouthfeel makes it so easy drinking. I'm pretty happy with this brew from my homeland. :^)

This beer is greater than the some of its parts.

Bought online from Beer Ship, nice job Russell!, imported to the US by Morandell Imports, Gardena, California.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.45/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

.5L emptied into a Stein.

A: Pours cola brown with a fluffy 2-finger tan head which quickly receeds to a thin ring. Lacing in the upper third of glass.

S: Roasted malt, earthy Saaz hops, nutty.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation.

T: Sweet malt with mild hop undertones. Sweet caramel at the back with a nice, smooth malty aftertaste.

D: Slightly too sweet for my tastes, but still an excellently crafted beer for the style. Worth trying.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%