Schlägl Doppel Bock | Stiftsbrauerei Schlägl

Style: Doppelbock

Added by BradLikesBrew on 08-08-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.25/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Aroma: Bread, some esters, alcohol, no hop, malt rules, slight toast, not much, fruit closer to plum than dried fruit, not burnt malt, no chocolate, slight alcohol. Appearance: Brilliant golden, creamy head that quickly dissipates, head is off white, good lacing. Flavor: rich malty, kettle caramel, malt is king, plum, some melanoidins, clear, alcohol but smooth, no hops, malt dominates, slight sweetness. Mouthfeel: medium full, medium low carbonation, creamy, some warmth, no astringency. Overall Impression: I could drink a lot of this, strong and rich.

3.39/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Surprisingly light yet cloudy colored Dopplebock with a bitter tongue smacking aftertaste. Acidic and almost dry aftertaste that will leave you confused yet craving more.

Aroma of sweet malt, cooked sugar, dark fruit, bready. Taste malt, caramel, candy, cloying, glazed donuts.

1.5/5  rDev -57.6%

4.03/5  rDev +13.8%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77.

From the bottle: "Out of Austria's only brewery a pin sip real home. Since 1580."

Given my previous error, I had no idea what to expect from what was to come out of the bottle. Once more, it was far lighter than I had girded myself for. I was so elated that I nearly inverted the bottle, but this caused a rush of beer that I could barely control! I sat back and watched the pseudo-cascade settle into a massive pile of tawny head that took forever to fall, leaving stupidly sticky lacing in its wake. I began again and this time I got a much more reasonable finger of rocky, tawny head that sat in defiance of my desire to get started. Color was a deep, dark-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and if you do not think that this preceded the entrance of the Unholy Trio of Mammon, Midas and Croesus, you must be kidding! They fell over themselves trying to get a taste while I sneezed, possibly thanks to the yeast. Nose smelled of freshly-baked bread. I remember my first semester of Foods in HomeEc and when we got to baking, I knew that I was in my environment. I loved kneading the dough, the smell as I did so, the smell as the dough rose and finally, the smell during and after it came out of the oven. This had that smell! Mouthfeel was obscenely full and slightly hot. My eyes watered as it sat on my tongue, reminding me who was boss. I loved the taste - semi-sweet, but bready, biscuity with a burn. Bisquick! We used a ton of it in the Boy Scouts, and the best was when our Scoutmaster, Tom M., would mix it with a can or two of Fruit Cocktail in heavy syrup, using the syrup as the liquid and then bake it in a Dutch Oven. OMFG! This was it, in liquified form. The lacing that had begun to appear was daunting and I began to fear for my well being. I was entranced by the taste, what with the fruity esters breaking through the heat as it warmed. I had a nap earlier, but this might be the knockout punch for the day. Oh my, I felt as though I had been poleaxed! Where has the time gone? Who needs illicit drugs when this is available? Finish? Hot, fruity, semi-dry. Yowza!

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

3.42/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Light Golden Amber w/nice lacing and two finger head

S - Somewhat biscuity, not too strong in any particular aroma that I could place my finger on.

T - Some hop bite, well balanced with the malts in this brew. You can taste the alcohol but it finishes nice. Like the smell..somewhat biscuity aftertaste. Also lemon/citrus comes through a bit in subtle ways.

M - Doesn't feel thin, nice carbonation, somewhat refreshing.

O - I thought this brew was pretty decent to be honest. Refreshing. Not too hoppy, but balanced. I think it would be nice with some chicken or light fish for dinner.

3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is malty, a bit of dark fruits. Taste is malts, bready, alcohol is present, just a touch of dark fruits. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a solid but unspectacular beer.

3.69/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a medium golden amber with a thin, rapidly dissipating head, leaving a small ring around the glass. Aroma of bready, caramel malt with hints of oxidation. Flavor follows, sweet bready and caramel malt, light fruit juice, finishing with malt and a nice peppery bite. Light bodied with active carbonation. A pleasant doppelbock that his somewhat thinner in body and flavor than others, but has an interesting peppery finish that is unusual. Not that complex, but pleasant.

3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

3.3/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought online from Beer Ship.

500ml bottle, it pours a clear 24k gold with a 2 finger head of foam and lots of lacing.

Big notes of bread in the smell, light grain, some caramel malt.

The taste is also big on bread, has some sweet malt that doesn't go over board, grain, earthy, with no sign of the alcohol.

Good medium body and carbonation, it's a good enough Doppelbock that is not hard to drink...well maybe...the bready character is kind of tiring after a while. Not quite *there*, where I like for the style.

My 3rd brew from the brewery and I guess I didn't save the best for last as I was hoping. Still worth a try.

4.75/5  rDev +34.2%

3.33/5  rDev -5.9%

ST: 1 pint poured into a pilsner glass.

A: Dark, clear amber with heavy carbonation and half-a-fingernail of white fluffy head that leaves a good ring of lacing.

S: Malty, bread, and light caramel.

T: Heavy malt with some caramel, slightly sour, slightly metallic finish, and alcohol warmth.

M: Medium

O: Decent flavor, though the finish has a metallic edge. This dopplebock could be heavier and have more flavor. Overall, there is nothing wrong with this beer, but there is nothing exciting about it either.

3.97/5  rDev +12.1%

Light golden brown with and off white foamy head.

This beer has a grainy malty aroma with fleeting hints of hops.

The taste is one of mostly grain with some sourness. Low carbonation Hints of molasseses.

Overall I enjoyed this a lot would drink it again in the future. Very refreshing

4.35/5  rDev +22.9%

i was about to rate this one very low even though i have had it before. probably my favorite style, this double bock has a bitterness at the end which really bothered me until i realized it's an 8.3% abv. the higher the abv, the more it can factor in a genuine taste of a brew. i love the sweetness of the double (doppel?) bocks and this is no exception. very little head from the pour, a bland, golden color into my .5 L Paulaner glass with a limited amount of small carb bubbles rising. has that traditional sticky toffee malt smell and the traditional sweet taste plus the aforementioned bitterness at the end.
overall, i can very much appreciate this and session longer than i could a miller lite, even with the bitterness. and with the higher abv, and the cleaner taste, i would end up in a happier place than i would versus the miller lite. two german brews into my day, i'm a happy camper. i feel like i have returned to a girlfriend after a long, extended stay away. i still love the complex and higher abv belgiums, but i'm glad these beautiful germans are always here to welcome me back to nirvana. prost!

ugh! my mistake! it's from austria! sorry guys...

4.08/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a case of this stuff over the weekend for a steal of a price.
Appearance: Pure golden in body with a creamy off-white head that is thick and gorgeous.

Smell: Sweet malt, with a touch of bread and more fruity aromas then I expected. Inviting.

Taste?: This is perhaps the best Doppel Bock I've ever poured down my neck and this is why: Amplitude. This is so well blended and balanced that it simply blooms in the mouth, with nothing standing out. With most Doppel Bocks I'm overwhelmed to a point with malt--not this one. This brewer managed to put just the right amount of hops to make it happen. Perfect balance.

Overall: This is a great brew. Unless of course you intend on driving any time soon.

2.93/5  rDev -17.2%

500 mL bottle, no obvious date.

appears a dark golden color, off-white head that fades. sweet aroma, slightly fruity. not real great. tastes of bready malt, not much else, single note. lingering aftertaste. body is thin to medium. smooth body and carbonation. drinks easy.

overall isn't alright, but seems very light for the style.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast