Kapuziner Schwarz-Weizen | Kulmbacher Brauerei AG

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Globetrotter on 04-16-2004

Reviews: 156 | Ratings: 251
3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

In my ongoing quest to sample as many wheat beer variations as possible, I picked this one up yesterday and decided to give it a shot tonight. I poured this one from a 1 pint, .9-ounce bottle into my half-liter weizen glass.

A: The name is almost literally accurate -- this beer is nearly jet-black in color. I can faintly detect a hint of deep, dark brownish-red, but I kind of have to use my imagination to do so. As for the head, this one doesn't foam up nearly as easily as a standard hefeweizen, but a vigorous pour does produce a solid four-finger, meringue-like head that lingers for about a minute. After that, the beer exhibits a cream-/tan-colored cap that remains throughout drinking. Lacing is slightly below-average for a wheat beer. Visible chunks of light-colored yeast stick together and slowly sink to the bottom of my glass.

S: Doesn't smell like a wheat beer, frankly. There is a prevailing toasted/pleasantly burnt smell, blended with something chocolatey and a hint of yeasty bread. I like the smell of this one; I may like it more on a cold night.

T: Zero bitterness, possibly reflecting almost zero hops. Dominating flavors are chocolate, melba toast, coffee, and an earthy, iron-like accent note. Again, I really don't pick up any of the standard wheat beer flavors.

M: This is how I know I'm drinking a wheat beer: it has that familiar, light-but-substantial feel, with ample carbonation. I must note, though, that the carbonated "bite" of most weizens is not present; the carbonation here is fleeting on the tongue. The iron-y earthiness adds an unusual dimension.

D: Tough call. Not as eminently drinkable as many other wheat beers, but still refreshing and enjoyable. I think I'd prefer this beer with a substantial, hot meal, or by the fireplace in the winter. Ultimately, I think I will drink this one again, but it's not an instant favorite of mine.

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark mahogony wood color with big 3 finger head.

Smells yeasty, bready, & sweet chocolate aromas.

Tastes of banana bread, pecans, iced coffee, carmel, toffee, oh and some roasted malt & yeast.

Medium bodied & carbonation.

Glad I tried this. Very bread like. Not my favorite style, but enjoyed it. Will probably pick one up again when I'm ready for a change of pace.

3.87/5  rDev +4%

16.9 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a very dark hardwood brown, with a thick off-white head that looks like it's coming from a nitro tap on the first pour into my Paulaner hefe glass, average retention, no lacing.

S: Smells like a stout on the first sniff, lots of roasted malt and coffee. Banana bread and iron are exhibited upon further investigation.

T: Strong stout like flavours are there at first, especially when it's colder. Very roasty, but not overly burnt which I liked, just right. Some dark bananas and cloves come in during the aftertaste to remind you that this is a wheat beer.

M: Not particulary great, has problems being watery and I think the carbonation is too light, fair overall.

D: A quite tasty and interesting hybrid between a black lager or stout and a dunkleweizen, unlike no other weizen I have hitherto tasted. I believe any fan of German beer would find this interesting and should pick up a bottle.

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: Pours a chocolate brown color with a foamy tan head that starts out large but quickly descends without much lace left behind

Smell: Quite roasty, with hints of mocha, coffee and just a touch of banana

Taste: Starts out with a brown bread flavor that verges on a smoked meat flavor by mid-palate; after the swallow, the mocha, coffee and banana flavors appear to the rescue, as we were heading in the wrong direction for the style for a moment; lingering cocoa powder flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body and moderate carbonation

Drinkability: It started with so much promise, when I first smelled the roast, but the beer just didn't follow through in the flavor department

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

17 oz picked up at the Coop over the weekend for about $4.50... poured into my smaller weizen glass.

Rocky 3 finger head... descent lacing... brew is a hazy chestnut coffee color.

Aroma is subtle banana and roasty coffee and mild burnt grains.

Flavor pretty much mirrors the aroma with a little clove and a touch of tartness toward the end. Reminds much more of s schwarzbier than anything close to a weizen. Spicy and roasty/chocolaty body is light and carbonation is on the higher side which really adds to the overall drinkability.

Very very interesting brew... glad I picked it up.

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured a dark hazy brown/black, thick 2 finger head that diminished to a nice 1/4 inch thick head that held all the way through.
sweet chocolate and burnt coffee nose, with fruity esthers.
tastes quite a bit like a Stout, coffee flavors with chocolate notes, nice subtle hopping.
drinkability is very good, I wouldn't mind have a couple more of these.(although...I have had better dunkels).

3.3/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours out a murky dark brown with a moderate sized khaki head. Aroma is some interesting roasty, smokey and ashy grains are up front with a heavy dose of banana and a touch of clove. Definitely different from any other weissbier I've had. As much as I liked the smell, the taste was just kind of weird to me. The typical mild tartness of a wheat beer seemed to clash with some lactic roasted malt character. The banana phenol is definitely there, but most of the yeastiness is overshadowed by the roasted malt. I get a lot of tobacco as well. Nice fluffy, wheaty mouthfeel here with an active carbonation. Drinkability is OK as I'm not totally into this.

3.72/5  rDev 0%

A dark milk chocolate color highlighted with shades of ruby, under a foamy, creamy light tan cap consisting of zillions of tiny bubbles. Swirled and poured the last bit, considering the style, but instead of haze it threw chunks into the bottom of my glass.

Aroma is sweet plum meets cocoa with a mineral undercurrent. A mild wave of warmth reminds you it's an alcoholic beverage. Surprised, as it's a pretty low ABV, but it all works well enough.

Flavors are a combined effort from milk chocolate, banana, dark fruits, roasted grains, fluffy wheat, nuts, plus some mild sweet spices. Mellow toffee/alcohol mixture appears in the finish. Finish is a little plastic-y, not enough to threaten the enjoyment of the brew, but I definitely would have given the Taste a 4 had it not be there. Texture remains light, almost airy, holding enough prickly carbonation from keep it from seeming insubstantial.

A solid offering. Nothing mindblowing, but a good example of the style. Strikes me as a beer that would probably make people who say they "don't like dark beer" actually like dark beer.

4.01/5  rDev +7.8%

A- Midnight black to purple brown body, muddy and translucent. Head was a thick, creamy tannish off-white and demonstrated excellent retention. Lacing was dark and muddy.

S- Very clean nose with some sweet maltiness and a bit of yeast.

T- Dark roasted malts, toasted wheat bread and something sweet that I can not identify, balanced out by a bit of hops in the finish. I am tasting something akin to licorice in the finish.

M- Very clean but slightly bready. Not at all viscous or sticky but full bodied nonetheless.

D- This one goes down easy and is an excelent companion to Bratwursts, steak or hamburgers. A very impressive brew.

2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured into a glass with a generous head. The head was maintained for a while and it did have some unexpected lace. At first glance the color seemed dark, however when held up to the light it appears to be a deep ruby color.

Smell was of faint raisins, plums, and a bit roasted. Taste was mellow and not at all overpowering. A little bland for my taste, but good. I got a little diacetyl, but did not feel that it was unacceptable. Aftertaste was sweet and a little plummy. A nice change all in all.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

While the dark color was very appealing, the lack of a decent head lowered the appearance quality. Smell was not as malty as I expected. It was somewhat faint, yet still appealing. Taste was smoky, highly sweet with a slight astringent quality...very nice. Mouthfeel likewise was very good...a smooth yet dry quality was very nice on the palate. Drinkability was also very good...definitely could have another!

4.26/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an almost opaque ruby brown with a great tan head. Nose is slightly malty, but exhibits very little character. Flavor is sweet with an interesting almost corn like flavor. That is what hit my mind at first. Overall it is a really odd combination of flavors that almost seems like more than one beer blended together. I get a really odd yeast flavor with a hearty weisse flavor lingering in the back. Feel is good with a nice slightly higher level of bubble and the liquid feel is slightly bodied, though not very thick. Definitely drinkable. A very interesting and unique take on the style and worth trying out. I am glad I did.

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

this was the last of my dunkel-weizen sampling ; pours a dark brown color, not as dark as i'd thought it'd be, but w/ a 2 finger off-white head which dissapates quickly, good lacing ; a wheat-type aroma w/ some roasted malt undertones, a slight fruitiness too ; more of the same here , a faint roasted malt flavor w/ a typical weizen flavor, some bananna in there as well, a little thin, though ; a light body, a good level of co2, most weizens have a bit too much for me, a dry finish ; a good drinking beer here, i'd buy more of this...

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a deep, dark mahogany color that barely lets in any light at all, with a thick head that holds quite well.

S: Slight wheat aroma, notes of roasted malt, coffee. Not very powerful or pungent nose, which indicates this one will have some subtlety to taste.

T: Some malty sweetness up front, with some coffee flavor, which leads into a noticeably wheaty middle that fades out into a drying finish that has little aftertaste.

M: Light bodied in composition, adequate level of carbonation and the drying feel toward the end.

D: Rather drinkable, but not the most impressive of its style that I've tasted. Nevertheless, for any Dunkel fans, this is worth a taste. Still, I found it flavorful and balanced enough to still be enjoyable.

4.26/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ok so I have to admit when I saw this lone, actually dusty bottle sitting on the shelf of an un-named local store, I was more then intrigued. I had never heard of a black Hefe and I knew I had to have one, I just had to. Rang up for 1.99 so I was not complaining and out the door I went. Pour was true to the name, very dark brown, nearly black and you could tell it was hazy and full of suspension. Big, towering two inch plus head of foam on top nearly would not stay in the glass and really looked quite full. Tons of side glass lace and a great look. Smell was very nice as well, the main player here being a yeasty and wheat aroma, but the nicest blend of roasted malts and even a touch of some caramel or dark nuttiness mixed in really set it off. The flavor was fantastic. Such a smooth creamy feel, but then again such great carbonation that it did not feel too full or too dull. Flavors were all over, you could definitely tell it was a Hefe as the classic flavor was there, but there were definite hints of roasting, or smoked aromas which were also as big and served to not only darken up the flavor but also the color. Really quite rich, with a touch of sweetness in the middle, and a bite of bitter at the end. This was great with dinner and I actually took a while to finish it, it was just that good. Overall I was not only impressed, but shocked at how good this was. This may have been one of my favorite that I have reviewed in a long time. This was just really outstanding and a shining example of a new style to me. I will be grabbing every bottle I see if I ever see it again and making this my choice of the week if I can. If you see it, pick it up and try it, it is really outstanding. Highly recommended.

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from 16.9 oz bottle into a curved pint glass.
Although aging is not recommended on this beer, this beer has been aged for a year or more. I forgot I still had some.

Appearance- Pours an amber black with a thick head of foam at least a full 5 fingers high. Dissapates very slowly. No question of the wheat content of this beer. Nice creamy lingering head that clings to the glass.

Smell- A bit of wheaty sourness with roasted and chocolate malt underlying. chocolate comes out more as the beer warms up. The sourness is surely from the age of the beer.

Taste- Roasty wheat with a slight sour kick and a chocolatey background. Actually, this tastes pretty much the same as it did oh, so many months ago. A hint of sour with a big dark wheaty roasted flavor, a hint of smoke and a good coating chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel- A pleasant suprise. Balanced carbonation and mouthfeel making this a good sipper for the change of the season. Light and creamy finish that isn't as thick and coating as a stout or porter.

Drinkability- This is actually very drinkable. I could go to town on this and with the low ABV. It's quite possible without getting hammered. Even after aging which should have spoiled the beer altogether, the beer still holds up and remains the easy drinker it was before. I'm glad that I bought the case, even a year later. This is the gift that keeps on giving with the reusable bottles for homebrewing as well. This is not my favourite beer overall, but it is a fine lower gravity beer that was well worth the price.

3.79/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured from the 17 fl oz bottle into a weizen glass. After consuming some beers with rather weak heads over the last couple weeks, I was a little over aggressive in my initial pour which resulted in a head that filled half the glass. The foam is a nice light brown, fluffy, it took a while for it to settle so I could finish pouring the beer. Lace clings to the sides of my glass as the beer is consumed. The beer itself is a nice dark brown which I can not see through. I love the look of this beer.

Smell: Predominately light roasted malts, aromas of burnt chocolate and lightly roasted coffee. A little clove and light yeast as well. Scent is not as impressive to me as the look.

Taste: The taste is dominated by the malt. Good roasted malts, low bitterness. Not over the top, just good. This could be readily enjoyed by almost anyone.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth, clean with no aftertaste with sufficient carbonation.

Drinkability: This is an outstanding beer and very affordable (just under $3 for a bottle here in Lincoln, NE). Relatively low alcohol, I could drink this all night if given the chance. As a side note for those who have had Boulevard's Lunar Ale; this is what I wish that beer was like.

3.07/5  rDev -17.5%

Awsome four inch rich tan head with fat bursting bubbles jumps off this carbonated jet black body. Rich malty wheat mix is rather soft for such a bold body and style. Enters the mouth amazingly smooth and mellow with soft even richness and a nice twing of coffee and maybe even a hint of coco. Mouthfeel includes a hint of anise and almost mediciney mineral mouth hue with hints of the dark wheat. Very drinkable but lacks personality.

4.4/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 0.5L bottle at Ye Olde Forge in Massachusetts. The beer was pitch black color with a thick frothy foam (at least 4 inches in the weisse glass it was served with).

The dominant aroma was bubblegum, backed up by some bananas. It was real nice, and a little unexpected although I previously had some good experiences with the standard Kapuziner weissbiers. The taste was delicious, bananas and cloves mixed with fruity bubblegum, very nice. The mouthfeel was thick and creamy, this was very easy to drink. And only 5.4%, excellent dark weisse.

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

A: Pours dark brown cola colored, huge head good lacing down the glass
S: Banana, clove, malty sweet cocoa smell
T: Chocolate maltiness, slight banana. Its like banana bread with some chocolate chips added.
M: Creamy smooth mouthfeel
D: This is an excellent beer, never been a fan of the style but I could drink many of these.

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

Kapuziner Weissbier Schwarz pours a slightly hazy dark brown with a creamy light tan head on top. The foam quickly fades down to a thick sheet on the beer leaving only a few spots of lace on the glass.

The aroma is bready, with notes of chocolate, vanilla bean, brown sugar and a hint of raisin mixed in. Each sip of this medium bodied beer is dry on the palate with a sharp carbonated tingle on the tip of the tongue. The flavor is somewhat sweet with notes of bubblegum, cocoa, rye bread, and yeast. Towards the end banana and clove finish off the taste. Once gone some of the sweet malty flavors linger on the palate.

For a different twist on a wheat beer grab a bottle of this beer. It's more sweet than I thought it would be. Otherwise very tasty and easy to drink.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

500ml bottle from A-1 To-Go. Dark brown body with ruby-red highlights and a half an inch of light tan head. Smells like chocolate and caramel malts. Very sweet and roasty, with chocolate and caramel malts playing a prominent role in the flavor. A bit of a smokiness is present as well. Creamy mouthfeel with a fair bit of carbonation to support it, making for a clean finish. A pretty damn good dunkel all-in-all.

3.76/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Boy the label is spot on on this one this truly in a black wheat ale,poured into a weizen glass a deep ebony with some reddish tint thru out a big blooming almond colored head atop.Soft fruit and chocolate mainly i the nose not alot of that clovey spice like you find in many of the style a hint of toastiness as well but its actually quite clean.More delicate than you might expect on the palate soft fruit tones with some wheat malt present with a lingering chocolate and smoke note.This is a delicate brew extremely easy to quaff but it wont knock your socks off flavor wise.

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

Thanks to Todd the beer guy at McKean and Charles for getting me to try this. I probably wouldn't have gotten it without his suggestion. A 500ml bottle poured into a pint glass, it was a very dark, almost black, beer with a medium head. The aroma was a little nondescript, mostly grain. The taste made up for the aroma, however. Sweet fruit, dark chocolate malt. Very pleasant. Bready in the mouth, very easy to drink.

3.96/5  rDev +6.5%

Hazed cola brown with a dense, creamy head of mocha froth that has superb retention and delicate lace.

Aroma is roasty dark wheat, banana bread, weak cocoa, and dried grass.

Flavor is roasty, bittersweet wheat, dark raisin bread, light powdery cocoa, dry leather, and a grassy, almost smoky finish.

Body is medium, silky, smooth, and very creamy. It feels like whipped mousse on your palate, so soft and slippery. Mouthfeel is really something. Drinkability is great, wheatbeer sessionability with heightened complexity and a unique personality

Kapuziner Schwarz-Weizen from Kulmbacher Brauerei AG