EKU Pils | Kulmbacher Brauerei AG

kulmbacher.de

Style: German Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-10-2002

1.51/5  rDev -57.9%

Very light color, as close to water as I've seen.

How do I say this? The smell reminds me of urine.

The body is like seltzer, which is also what the flavor reminds me of. Simply said, this is a waste of a bottle. Interestingly, this beer is not skunky.

1.8/5  rDev -49.9%

I really want to find a German pils that I like. I feel bad that they all taste the same to me and it's rather disappointing. This beer is clear yellow it's earthy and mild flavored. Fresh cut grass on the taste too. Not much hops on the nose. Not my favorite style.

2.06/5  rDev -42.6%

Appearance: Clear, pale golden color, with a small persistent head, thick scattered lacing, and slight carbonation.

Aroma: Sweet, light tropical fruit, a stale bread aroma, and slight yeast.

Taste: Opens with tart malt, midway through the taste, a harsh medicinal hop note appears, lingering well past the end of the taste.

Mouth feel: Thin, with slight carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: A poor example of the style, not recommended.

2.24/5  rDev -37.6%

I had greatly anticipated the opening of this bottle. Had heard some nice comments about it, but as soon as I opened it, I smelled skunk. Same as Heineken. Guess I am not a German Pilsner kind of Guy. Maybe it was not fair since I had just finished a bottle of Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale that was excellent at 92 points! I just don't like the skunky in a beer. I will not buy again.

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%

2.28/5  rDev -36.5%

This beer is fairly crappy and generic. It pours a boring yellow color with little head and no lacing. The aroma is skunky with possibly a hint of malts. The flavor is much like the aroma, being a skunky bland pilsner. I really didn't care much for it, but luckily it was pretty cheap.

2.4/5  rDev -33.1%

This came as part of a beer of the month club package. It had a very light, yellow/gold color to it. Had your traditional Pilsner bubblyness to it and good lace. That's where the good stuff ended.

There wasn't that much flavor to it, except a bitter taste, but not Pilsner bitter--more like skunk bitter. It also left a horrible taste in the back of my throat. I was also disappointed because I hold the Germans to a higher standard when it comes to beers.

2.41/5  rDev -32.9%

12 oz bottle. Faint aroma of skunk and corn. Tastes a little watery. Nothing very remarkable here.

2.41/5  rDev -32.9%

The bottle poured a pale golden straw hue with a creamy pure-white head. The aroma was that of a typical pilsner (for some reason, when it comes to pilsners, most smell like the bar my grandfather used to frequent, and I just can't separate that memory from the smell). The taste was relatively clean and refreshing... the somewhat sweet mild malt flavor with enough hops for balance. But there was this lingering slighly metalic taste on my tounge that just wouldn't go away even after several sips. Pils aren't my favorite beers, but I can appreciate a well-crafted offering... but that aftertaste just ruined it for me.

Yet another beer to add to my small but growing list of beers tasted (which will be growing over the next couple of weeks thanks to a couple of "beers of the world" eight-packs received as Christmas gifts - Thanks Santa!)... but not one really worth seeking out again.

2.63/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured this 12 oz. undated brown bottle into a pilsner glass. Body was golden yellow. The three fingers of bright white head faded quickly. Minimal lace remained.

Smell was clean, hay-like. Mildly leafy. Mildly malty. A little on the bland side.

Tasted of light hops. Subtle lightly sweet malts. Tart lemony finish that lingers. Thins out at the end. EKU Pils has a weaker noble hops presentation than I would have guessed.

Mouthfeel was somewhat tingley due to the alcohol and moderate carbonation. Light to medium bodied. I'm glad I tried this one but I will not return.

2.64/5  rDev -26.5%

Appearance - very light pale in color, almost like a light beer, not a golden color like I'd like to see from a pils

Taste - bland, boring in flavor, not the crispness i'd expect from a good pils - maybe because it was in a bottle, perhaps not fresh

Drinkability - it was light, so definitely drinkable, but not something i would go out of my way to drink again

2.68/5  rDev -25.3%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

If this "EKU" pils is the c lassic German pilsner, then what's the deal with Kulmbacher's Edelherb? Anyway, this stuff pours a clear straw topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises honey-dripped biscuit, light grass, and a kiss of flower petal. The taste holds notes of old biscuit, dank greens, iceberg lettuce, and a general sense that the world just isn't quite right, that the Matrix may, in fact, be real, and it's having a hard time coding the flavor of beer. Man, this stuff just jumped off a cliff and destroyed itself upon the rocks at the base (but the eyes are still open and trying to process the horror it just experienced). The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly oily feel. Overall, this is the second time I've had this beer, and both times have been incredibly disappointing. And I made sure this stuff was pretty fresh, too, so it's not like I've been sitting on a bottle for years or anything. I've just gotta say it: This is a fairly crappy pils. *sigh*

2.68/5  rDev -25.3%

Bottle Inspection: 11.2 oz bottle from the “Beers of the World Sampler pack” Thanks to Stephen for picking up the box from the Class VI on post.

Aroma: Slight sour/bitter yeast smell, something about it is a bit off, can’t put my finger on it.

Appearance: Crystal clear golden glass with a short lived white head that didn’t lace.

Flavor: Strong bittering hops that overwhelm any malt present. The hops lack any fresh or pleasing tastes.

Mouthfeel: Puckering bitterness, medium body, average carbonation.

Overall Impression: Trying not to slam this beer as I’m afraid it’s a bit old (but no date on the bottle, so fair game). I’ll have to try another later and confirm or correct these low numbers.

2.69/5  rDev -25.1%

Got this 12oz single for $2.00 from Manchester Wine & Spirits, Manchester CT. Code 2013311. Served cold in a chilled pilsener glass.

Perfectly clear, bright yellow brew shows moderate carbonation and puts up a healthy 1.5" of white foam. Smell has some dried hay, lemon, raw grain, and a little skunk... smells like a standard EPL. Taste is a good dose of saaz, then lemon rind, hay, grain. Fairly hoppy. The feel is light and crisp, but astringent in a way that makes my teeth feel gritty, which is a bit offensive. Finishes with gritty teeth and a lingering flavor of leather.

Bleh. I'm not impressed, won't be seeking this out again.

2.73/5  rDev -24%

Light lemony gold with a faint haze and a few whispery floaters that settle to the bottom in due course. The beer is crowned with a shockingly bright white head of pillowy, yet tacky, foam that sticks to the glass in cheesecloth-like sheets. The lace is too melty though and before long scattered shards are all that remain.

When I first popped the cap I smelled skunk. Now that the beer has had a chance to breathe, the little mammal seems to have wandered off. A faint odor trail remains, but I'm convinced that noble hops smell this way in some pilseners (even relatively fresh ones). There's some semblance of untoasted grain, but hops overpower all. I've smelled better.

The flavor is a little too harsh for me. It's tough to say what's causing it. My guess is a malt-to-hop ratio that's too low. The bitterness is impressively unsupported and is a sharp, pungent beast that keeps me from enjoying the flavor much at all. There's also a mild 'sucking on pennies' vibe that isn't fading.

The beer feels soft in the mouth thanks to an understated amount of carbonation, but that only makes the sharpness of the flavor that much more noticeable. I don't pick up any citrusiness, which I tend to like in this style. A little lemon zest often makes pilseners more drinkable for me.

EKU Pils just can't be recommended, there's too much unsupported bitterness. This beer is only for those who love the style and maybe not even for them. Best avoided.

2.74/5  rDev -23.7%

A. Pours straw yellow. 1 inch head that doesn't last.

S. Clean, slightly grassy aroma.

T. Bite of mild hops, earthy/hay flavor.

M. Medium-high carbonation, zesty on the tongue.

Overall very light, clean and bland with a faint bitterness that fades quickly. I'm not a fan of light beer in general, but this was more subtle than any other light beer I've tried.

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not very stand out, basic pils

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

A: Pale, clear golden with a thin to non-existing head.

S: Thin, malty smells with some fruity sweetness. No hop aroma to speak of.

T: Weak tasting with a sort of malty sweetness towards the end. This beer advertises "Perfect Balance" on the label, but utterly fails to deliver.

M: Light in body with a nice crisp feel to it. Zero aftertaste. CO2 and ETOH are in good levels.

D&N: Refreshing, easy to drink because it doesn't demand anything at all to grab your attention. This beer would be perfect picnic fodder.

EKU Pils from Kulmbacher Brauerei AG