Mönchshof Schwarzbier | Kulmbacher Brauerei AG

4.03/5
Alströms:

1.37/5  rDev -66%

Kulmbacher Mönchshof Schwarz

Appearance: Dark brown with some lacing.

Smell: Cream, slight chocolate, but almost foul and not pleasant.

Taste: Watery, faint chocolate cream, roasted/burnt malts.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery.

Overall:
Ok. This beer isn't that great. It is drinkable, but almost flavorless with a sour and almost foul nose. It leaves me wondering if there is something wrong with my bottle. It has an almost-creamy texture and a hint of flavor.

Hopefully, I will try another and my review will change.

1.59/5  rDev -60.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

On tap at HopLeaf
Pours a clear dark copperish color with light lacing and head. Smell is like band-aids and malt. Taste is roasty but very thin and watery. Almost old and stale tasting. Just a mess. Wouldn't recommend this based on my sample of this beer at all.

2.45/5  rDev -39.2%

Feh! With all the hoopla around this beer, I expected more. Nice appearance, brown and toasty looking with a decent head that held dents quite firmly. Good aroma, with all the roasty smell I've come to expect from a schwarzbier, with enough hops to remind one that this isn't an ale. But the taste... thin, lifeless, watery; no body to speak of and no reason to have another. I bought this expecting more from the brewery that produces Kapuziner!

2.5/5  rDev -38%

2.55/5  rDev -36.7%

With Portishead on the Hi-Fi it is time to break into this bottle . 22 .oz bottle poured into a pint glass . Dark brown color with a thick off white head . For aroma there is not much to smell . Again my sense of smell is not that great . For taste it is Ok . A bit watery but there is some flavor . Coffee , caramel and toffee . Not as bold as I would like . For my first ever Schwarzbier , it was not bad and I will try another . Thanks to James at Beverly Wine & Beer for picking this one .

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

2.92/5  rDev -27.5%

3.01/5  rDev -25.3%

Appears light black to dark brown in color, translucent when held to light, and a fairly nice off white head. In both the smell and the taste I did notice one flaw, and that was a rusty charecter. I almost reminded me of well-water. I've gotta blame the beer, since my water has never smelled that way and I've never noticed it in another beer. Perhaps it was oxidized? Other than that I have to say the beer was a bit on the week side, not a strong smell, not many specialty malt flavors or perceptable hop flavors, and a bit of that baking soda/carbonation taste as well. Mouthfeel is pretty standard, though. I gotta say I'm a bit dissapointed, especialy since a buddy recomended this beer to me and even got him hooked on the style. I gotta hope I got a bad bottle.

3.1/5  rDev -23.1%

pours a medium dark drown...porteresque
rudy shines through as its held to the light
Big head. Almost rocky.
Smell is somewhat pale...licorice maybe noted.
Taste is of black licorice and dark malts...bitter.
Good mouthfeel. Although bitter.
Not a bad beer.

3.12/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured a deep dark red mahogany (not as black as I was expecting) topped by a thick tan head with good retention. The aroma, well, not much there... a slight toasty scent, but one of the least fragrant beers I've ever drank. The taste started with mild, malty sweetness with a slightly burnt toast finish (which isn't good for my English muffin, but great in a beer). Some root-like and woody tastes were in there too. Bitter hops melded with the burnt toast flavors in the finish.

Nice level of carbonation, and a very smooth and drinkable brew. More mild than what I hoped, but this is a new style for me.

On a pairing note, didn't pair quite so well with sausage and black beans as was suggested to me.... just made the beer slightly less bitter, and the food slightly less spicy. But it went surprisingly well with my poundcake for dessert... the flavors in both blended and evened out nicely... who would have thought?

3.13/5  rDev -22.3%

A dark beer from the pour, with an aroma not largely detectable, but still had a nice roasted malt, coffee type smell. The flavor of this brew was nothing to write home about, I was expecting more and I didn't get it. The flavor reminded me more of a golden pilsner rather than the dark color would lead you to believe. I would drink it again if it was given to me.

3.14/5  rDev -22.1%

3.16/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

3.17/5  rDev -21.3%

*i did not mind would not buy*

app: dirty cola water.. not bad or good..

smell: some toasted malt some bitternes in the nose, not many a hop .. rich, but smells like a potential headache beer.

taste: rich chewy, yummy not bad at all, good black toasty malts but a bit A BIT spoiled, .. but good none the less.

mf: fine.. not good but not bad.

drinkable: ?? yes, but a bit bottle in it. other wise good.

Mönchshof Schwarzbier from Kulmbacher Brauerei AG