Bitch Creek ESB (Extra Special Brown) | Grand Teton Brewing Co.

Bitch Creek ESB (Extra Special Brown)Bitch Creek ESB (Extra Special Brown)
Liked This Beer
3.73 w/ 817 Ratings
Bitch Creek ESB (Extra Special Brown)Bitch Creek ESB (Extra Special Brown)

Grand Teton Brewing Co.
Idaho, United States
grandtetonbrewing.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Bitch Creek perfectly balances big malt sweetness and robust hop flavor for a full bodied, satisfying mahogany ale. Like the stream for which it is named, our Bitch Creek ESB is full of character... not for the timid.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2003

Liked:
3.73/5
Alströms:
3.7

3.51/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: dark reddish-brown in color, 1/3 inch head, cloudy, high carbonation, lots of sediment

Smell: citrus hops, caramel, and wood

Taste: burnt caramel, citrus hops, and bark

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, high carbonation, sweet start with a big bitter middle and a less bitter end

Overall:This one drinks like an imperial red. Not a bad brew, especially if you like burnt caramel, but I have had better from the brewery.

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

1.74/5  rDev -53.4%

Lightly chilled 12 oz bottle into a 33cl snifter. Bottling date 12.11.12.

Look- Pours ruby brown with a pretty ridiculous four-finger head that falls slowly - takes six pours and ten minutes waiting to empty the bottle. Minimal lacing. Significant particulate, and a cake of sludge in the bottom of the bottle. Very unappealing.

Smell- Floral, citrusy, sharp, astringent. Very American- unexpected. Mild burnt toffee in the background, but overall very hop-forward.

Taste- Maltier than anticipated after the aroma, but that's not saying this is a malty beer. Fruity/skunky/sweet flavor that makes me think Galena and Warrior hops, doesn't really mesh well with the mellow toasted shortbread malt, diacetyl definitely present but low. Finishes with a lingering lemon black tea bitterness. Mild sweetness throughout.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, light-medium carbonation. Grainy, sandy feel. Well, after typing that I took a second look and go figure there's about a half inch of hop and yeast residue in the bottom of the glass. Good one on me, Grand Teton. I'm done with this beer.

Overall- Well, this beer's just a hot mess- reminds me of bad generic hoppy American amber homebrew. Sharp, poor balance, and well... gross. Bottle conditioning gone wrong, I hope. The amount of sediment in the beer is actually pretty shocking, and it's definitely trub and hop particulate. Very bad- I feel no regrets about pouring this out other than the $1.75 I spent on the bottle. All that and it wasn't even the dark English-style ESB it was advertised as- two shades more caramel and this would definitely be classified as an American IPA. Off for the style and completely undrinkable.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

4.23/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I was very fortunate yesterday....An old friend and I had a few beers together on his front porch in rocking chairs and he supplied the beer....nice....free beer.
What makes it even better is that he let me have 2 VERY GOOD beers....Founders Dirty Bastard and Bitch Creek ESB.
I will focus on the ESB today....as in Extra Special Brown...I did not realize that when I took the first sip...I was excpecting a slightly bitter bouquet of fruit...not a malty, caramel toffee...I reread the bottle and BOOM...."Extra Special BROWN"-THIS IS AWESOME!
This reminds me of a first class homebrew (which I pride myself as a 2nd class homebrewer).
It is bottled conditioned so when I poured it up it was cloudy and thick and beautiful. Almost chewy...wonderful mouthfill and great head retention.
The heavy caramel, hint of chocolate and toffee flavors are balanced extremely well by the up front bitterness which only lingers enough until the next sip....
This was a wonderful surprise. I suggest that any Brown Ale lover sniff this beer out and give it a try...great experience.
I rate it 4.25...

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Bitch Creek ESB (Extra Special Brown) from Grand Teton Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 59.4% out of 100 with 817 ratings