Double Vision Doppelbock | Grand Teton Brewing Co.

Double Vision DoppelbockDouble Vision Doppelbock

Grand Teton Brewing Co.
Idaho, United States

Style: Doppelbock

Our Double Vision Doppelbock is brewed with Idaho 2-Row Pale and German Munich, CaraAroma, CaraMunich and de-husked Carafa malts to an original gravity of 24 Plato (1.096 SG). The malts provide a dark leather color with ruby notes, a luxurious tan head, and a bready aroma with a hint of smoke. It is lightly spiced with Liberty hops, an American version of the noble German Hallertau Mittelfruh, and fermented with lager yeast from a monastery brewery near Munich. In the traditional manner, Double Vision is fermented cold (48 F) and lagered a full 10 weeks for smoothness. At over 8% alcohol by volume, it is a deceptively drinkable springtime warmer.

Added by Bitterbill on 03-20-2009

Reviews: 61 | Ratings: 142
4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

I believe I got this one from Bitterbill, cheers Bill! Review based on notes

750 ml bottle opens with a whoosh! Pours chestnut with 1 finger of mocha colored head. Superior head retention & lacing

S: Bready, fruitty, woody hops & some boozeyness

T: Follows the nose, plum notes, hints of licorice & brown sugar up front. Breadyness, dryness with a touch of persimmons & licorice as this warms. Finishes fruitty & dry

MF: Chewy, low carbonation & warming once warm

Great drinkability style-wise, like mother's milk GT needs to make this an annual offering & sell in Mizzou or Kansas!

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured a gorgeous deep brown from a 1 liter bottle

Strong, delicious chocolate smell, plus a little roast coffee.

Really wonderful, deep flavor. Very complex, from chocolate to bourbon-like.

Very full mouthful, rich and palate-coating.

I wish I could keep drinking this forever.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

When I first poured this beer into a pint glass, it had a huge head with a delicious smell to it, sort of like a cinnamon bun with extra brown sugar baked on top. The first sip tasted just the same; I could barely believe how good it was. Soon afterwards, a more typical doppelbock taste settled in: dark fruit, heavy malts, toasted bread. When I had another pint the next day, it was still pretty good, but it started to go a little flat by the third day after I opened it. It still tasted great though. One of the best doppelbocks I've ever had.

4.66/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Grand Teton
Double Vision Dopplebock
8.0% ABV

Appearance:Pitch black with a tan, persistent head. Completely opaque but clear, showing its lagered character.

Aroma: Rich chocolate, roast, and lightly toasted bread compose a very complex malt aroma. Slight alcohol warmth with a very neutral hop profile, lightly piney, spicy and earthy.

Taste: In the forefront I get big malt chocolate, dark and rich. A bready sweet base can be tasted all the way through. There is a surprising ester character that comes off as figs and dates, and the sweetness becomes plums and raisins. These are all complemented by the roasted and earthy-bitter notes that appear in the finish. The malt really gets to shine through out the drink and exhibits a complex character that is inviting and warming. The lagered-yeast character is very clean and adds intrigue.

Mouthfeel: This bock has a big mouthfeel but is light in body and drinkable. The water is carbonic and the bubbles tickle the tongue and excites the buds. The mouth is coated with a slick, yet smooth film that provides a long, and fulfilling aftertaste of roast and earthy-bitter notes.

Overall: Truly remarkable body that provides drinkability to a very big beer. Very rich flavors engage the palate and a sweet, fruity middle slowly permeates. A strong, roasted finish is slightly bitter but reintroduces the sweet and rich malt. This transformation makes the beer very dynamic, complex, intriguing, and, most importantly, drinkable.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Just shy of a stout in color with a thick tan head that lasts forever while leaving some dots and strands around the pint glass

Smell: Rich aromatics of dark chocolate and prune, with undertones of anise

Taste: Sweetened prune, up front, with developing chocolate tones joined with a bit of balancing hoppy bitterness through mid-palate; intriguingly spicy just after the swallow, the finish provides a lingering chocolate and fruit layer on the tongue

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and creamy, with smooth carbonation

Drinkability: As good as any doppelbock I have ever had; love the balance and, especially, the silky smooth mouthfeel

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark coffee color, no transparency what so ever, two finger toffee color head mild lacing

S- sweet malts, sweet caramel, very slight toasted toffee, light cocoa.

T-Sweet toffee that fades to dark cocoa with lingering smokey finish.

M- light syrup finishing with a sticky resin feel

O- Bold bock beer that reminds me more of a porter. not like any traditional bock that I have had with its toffee and cocoa flavors. Would be a great cold fall day warmer.

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

As I’ve blearily mentioned, I am dealing with the shingles. Experiencing the disease has caused me to question some mainstream medical conclusions, namely the assertion that the reason old people are more susceptible to “the shing” is because they have weakened immune systems. That’s a bunch of hooey. My immune system is great. The real secret to getting the shing is curmudgeonliness, the accumulation of poor humor manifesting itself in ungodly awful pain.

This is real old school medical, like blood-letting or the removal of melancholy stones. Shingles is caused by an abundance of yellow bile which in which the accumulation grows beyond a mere choleric temperament and causes the development of braised pox. Prodrome symptoms include general bad humor that’s followed, naturally, by the manifestation of bilious sentiment.
What I’m getting at is the shingles is my punishment for being a bastard.

And, like all violent punishments, it does nothing but reinforce the bad behavior it was meant to correct. My writings have been even more rambling lately, even grumpier. For example—and I swear I’m not joking here—about two hours ago I suffered a blast of post-herpetic neuralgia pain that was like the entire left side of my body was having an ice cream headache. The pain was so intense that I literally threw up. No kidding, no bullshit, it hurt so bad I stumbled into my bathroom and vomited.

How do I deal with this? By writing 750 words explaining, quite poorly, why Chris Dorner wasn’t really a bad guy. Again, no shit, that’s what I did. (I didn’t, like, publish it anywhere, but still…)

Lately beer has been medication. And I don’t know if pharmacists have some sort of method for making sure that their own ailments don’t leak onto the drugs they suggest to patients, but the Yellow Bile had soaked into my choice of beers—fiery, alcoholic stouts and the kind of double IPAs that can be used to dislodge zebra mussels from the cleat of a barge. That has worsened the disease. It had fed it.

What’s necessary—vital, even—is to embrace sun and sprightliness and green grass and little baby bunnies. Springtime just fucking kills Yellow Bile.

This is Teton’s re-release of what is rated as the best doppelbock any American brewery has produced since the late 90s. Believe the hype. One sip and the world gets all blue-eyed and pastel, like the artwork on a Paas kit.

Full review:

4.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very dark brown with only a faint ruby tint peeking through the body of the beer. Dense, creamy beige/tan cap, lots of lacing, great head retention. Looks nice! Big malty aroma, lots of caramel and toffee, cocoa, some prunes, malted milk, chocolate, earthy sweetness, faint vanilla and licorice. As it warmed, more of a bready aroma and a hint of smoke. Smells great. Low bitterness, the flavour was dominated by malt with alcohol providing some balance. Sweet, chewy malts throughout, lots of caramel and toffee. Less chocolate than in the aroma, but more of a plum/prune fruit character mid-palate. Slight hop bitterness in the finish along with some lingering alcohol warmth. Full bodied with creamy carbonation, silky texture. This stuff is delicious. Rich and malty, but still quite drinkable. I picked this up on a whim, not knowing anything about the brewery, and couldn't be happier with the result.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Poured from the large quart (32oz) flip top bottle: served in a 20oz mug - Pours massively dark marooned brown settling like blood under moonlight black with a slim slivered highlight of dark amber at the bottom. Solid medium sized foamy cap of light sandy brown which towers up with might from a slow pour to creep down to a light skimming. Creates thick cob webby lacing and some spots all over the mug while it settles and is consumed.

Aroma is very well set in a malt laden sweetness with deep figgy, pruney rummyness lathered in a chocolate coating and dashed with a partial roastyness.

Taste grabs with the malt and doesn't let go as it starts deeply tangy with the dark fruity sweetness of figs and prunes, nearly soured, but far more in check and toned down to perfectly dispurse it across the entire palate with a soothing, soft, tangy ease of comfortable silky warming. Creamy dark chocolate laced middle and soft dark cherry and smokey bacon tanged finish.

Big bodied malt covered smoothness and lathery creamyness. Quite a decadent dark malt creation of creamy smooth and soft malt thats semi tangy and very, very ease to let slip down the gullet. The touch of dark chocolate in the middle is superb!

YUM! I'm seeing Double already as this stuff is quite the Vision of Doppelbock goodness. Being at 8% and a full quart this will wiggle your knees when you try to get up after drinking the whole thing. Damn, if ain't worth it! A fantastic brew by the folks at Grand Teton!

4.58/5  rDev +9%

I got this sampler bottle from Mike at Poplar Wine & Spirits. Thanks Mike!

This pours a dark brown amber with a 3 finger head of tan foam. It's a very lively bunch of foam and grows in the glass slowly.

The smell is on the sweet side with notes of caramel malt, chocolate, and a slight bitterness.
I can also smell the alcohol.

The taste is of chocolate, caramel malt, toffee, some dark chocolate bitterness, and a fair amount of alcohol comes through. Lots of warming going on...Good taster, though.

The mouthfeel is on the heavy side of medium, the carbonation is light, and it finishes with notes of milk and dark chocolate that brings both sweet and bitter to the table.

Drinkability? This is very warming so 1 bottle and I'm done but the flavours are nice so the session is enjoyable. Btw, the head retention is very good and there's tons of lace sheeting my glass.

When the regular 1L bottles come out for sale, I'll try to cellar a few and see what some aging will do. As is, this is a "hot" Doppelbock.

Edit: I'm now sipping on another bottle, bottled on Feb 11, 2009, and the flavours are still delicious but, thankfully, the alcohol presence had calmed down big time and gave it an overall better taste. Cellaring has definitely improved the drinkability as well. Scores adjusted accordingly.

Another edit, July 17, 2010.

Well, I was curious to see how this one would fare with some time in the cellar and man am I pleased. All of the flavours have come together nicely with sweet but balanced malt and semi bitter notes of chocolate. The alcohol calmed down some more since my last edit but it is still a warmer. Now, as it is right now, I think it ranks with the best of the style that I've had. I'll try again in 6 months or so..

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a rich dark ruby to black color with tan head that rises quite well and dissipates to a thin rim lace. Nose is very traditional for the style with plenty of "goat's breath" dark bread breadyness, perhaps a suggestion towards a dessert cake (Black Forest Chocolate?), and a slight fruityness in the mix - maybe a jammy fig or dark cherry. Palate is a whopper with roasty malt, caramel, and just enough hop bitterness to keep it from being too sweet. Finish is long, malty, and rich. Excellent example of a doppelbock.

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into my imperial pint glass from an awesome giant one-liter swingtop bottle with an informative tag, including a February 2009 bottling date. Thanks a ton to Joe, aka Jojomdma, for the trade!

A moderate pour yields about a finger of dark-tan head that subsides to about 1/4" that persists for all 30 minutes of sipping. The color is a gorgeous ruby-brown, so dark it's nearly black, and totally opaque except at the edges of the glass. A gentle trickle of small bubbles persists, showing off the bottle-conditioned carbonation. Quite simply one of the prettiest doppelbocks I've ever poured, and I've poured quite a few.

A gentle swirl-and-whiff delivers a rich scent of dark currants, Kalamata olives, raisins, brown sugar, and roasted grains with a spicy aroma akin to fresh pumpernickel bread. A touch of coffeeish smokiness carries through the sweet and roasted scents, along with a downright head-clearing smell of fresh white pepper from the hops, which also contribute a subtle tea-leaf character to the aroma. Despite the 8% alcohol content, no boozy fusels intrude.

The taste echoes most aspects of the aroma. First, a rich blast of roasted malt hits the tongue, with flavors of chestnuts, dark whole-wheat bread, unsweetened chocolate. The spicy elements are actually less prominent in the taste than in the aroma, but are still present and provide a nice balance to the dominant roasted-malt character of the beer. Plenty of dark-fruit flavors follow, including the aforementioned raisins and currants. Perhaps the most surprising aspect of the flavor is a lovely milkiness that sweeps in right behind the malt, reminiscent of a milk stout, but more pronounced than most milk stouts I've had. Pepper pushes through hard in the middle and contributes to a dry, nutty and appetizing finish. As with the aroma, there is almost no booziness in the taste.

The delicious milkiness that is the most distinctive element of the flavor continues in the mouthfeel, which is smooth and creamy. The carbonation is surprisingly rich compared to most doppelbocks I've had, and might be too much for some. Even over the thirty to forty minutes I spent drinking my pint, the carbonation lessened only a little, revealing a medium-full body. I'm not sure how I feel about the carbonation; the effect, along with the milky flavors, is similar to drinking the world's driest, nuttiest milkshake. I think I like it though.

This is a dangerously drinkable beer. I can think of perhaps one or two beers of this strength that have hidden their alcohol so well. There is no booziness or alcoholic flavor at all. Eventually, the alcohol and the richness of flavors catches up with you, but for the strength of alcohol and flavor this is about as "quaffable" as it gets. I hope Grand Teton is still brewing this so I can try a fresh bottle for comparison, but since this was 18 IBUs at the plant, I can tell it's aged beautifully. At $15/liter, this beer is worth every penny and then some. Grab as much as you can get, make some baked beans and brown bread, and have a party. Thanks again Joe!

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

This is really an exceptional beer. Shared with me by a friend, who'd gotten a quart-sized bottle as a gift. Dark - very dark brown to black (though tough to say for sure, as the lighting was a bit dim) with a luxurious, pillowy head. Fantastic fruitcake-sort of sticky (in a good way), bready, full maltiness. Thick in the mouth, with a warm, pleasing vapor rising up from the tongue, after each sip.

4.45/5  rDev +6%

Had the one liter bottle aged a few months at home. Enjoyed on our Honeymoon in Yellowstone. We liked it so much, we picked up a few more bottles that they happened to have there.

A: A first, there is a two or more finger head, but on subsequent pours it is much smaller. The color is reddish brown and the head is dark dark tan.

S: Strong. Smells of cooking sugar, molasses, maple syrup. There is no roast or hops, it's sweet. It similar to a roast-less RIS I could see someone saying. Problem is it's just too much. To strong.

T: Very caramely sweet. More molasses. It doesn't taste like cherries, but it is a similar dark taste. Maybe too sweet? But that's a good thing for me and Dopplebocks. It's very unique, but almost perfect.

M: Mich lighter than I would expect from the look and smell, but still very smooth. The sweetness gives it a little bit of a sharpness.

D: It's just great. Good to share with a big group for sipping on during a meal or slow conversation, but drinkable alone for a good buzz or more without feeling too heavy.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours an incredibly dark brown. Still quite brown though, I couldn't call it black at all. And I can see some bubbles running through the glass to the top. The head is massive, like 4cm+, a light brown color, and it leaves incredible lacing. I couldn't ask for a better looking doppelback. As for the smell, the first thing you notice is a very grainy smell, and very specifically a munich malt smell - I mean, like fresh-milled munich malt. There's a bit of chocolate, a little burnt, toasty note. Also, quite a bit of caramel in there. I can kind of senes some smokiness, not like smoked malt, but that nice roasty presence that gets smoky. I'm not sure entirely, but I think I can sense some hops, a bit of spicy leafiness expected from noble hops. The graininess keeps up to the front. When I went in for the taste, it came up just how I wanted it, too. You start with a little bit of dark, nearly roasted chocolate. Then comes that thick, viscous, bready malt. It's chewy and grainy, with a little bite of spice. I can almost taste the alcohol, but otherwise, this is very clean - no fermentation off-flavors. The caramel comes and goes at different drinks, balancing the roastiness at times, and other times it's balanced with the spice. Aside from the alcohol, this has an incredible taste - at times it reminds me of a stout/porter but with a much cleaner fermentation profile, which I really love. And I find that when you get a nice drink when you get a bit of the head in the mouth - I think it helps to mask the slight edge of alcohol. The body is incredibly full, full in every way, in malt body, a little bit of herbal flavors, the carbonation rushes to your mouth when you drink without a sting. I guess I have to deduct just a little bit for the alcohol flavor. And I may truly be underestimating the drinkability here, because it's a 750 mL (I think) and it slowed me down significantly, though I wanted to drink it as quickly as possible. I think you could make a whole night out of one bottle, at the right pace, but I'm sure I would enjoy every last drop of it. I'm really amazed at this beer.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a dark brown with a big 3 finger head and some good lacing.

Smell is boozy raisins, s'mores, caramel, and citrus and floral hops. Big, clean aroma that is extremely pleasant.

The taste is burnt caramel up front with a bit of coffee bean bitterness in the finish. Not as sweet as I was expecting when cold, but as the beer warmed the sweetness started to peek out. Lots of alcohol soaked raisins, an oak-like character, and a bit of pine resin round out the flavor. Very tasty. I would say it is almost like a dopplebock/stout hybrid.

Body is full with quite a bit of carbonation. This gets heavier and heavier as it sits.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer and one that will probably fly under most people's radar. The only knock is that the quart (!) size bottle is waaaayyy too big, even for 2 people. That isn't to say it isn't drinkable though, I just wish it came in smaller bottles.

4.41/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Fremont small snifter. Pours a very dark mahogany brown with very little light transmission in the glass and a fine half finger dark khaki head with great retention and lacing, looks great.Aroma of caramel and dry malt, brown bread, dark stone fruit, raisins; very malty. Flavor is rich caramel and biscuit malt with a hint of toast, dark dried fruit; raisins, dates and figs, light notes of dark stone fruit, molasses, nuts. Finishes with big, full maltiness, just a little sweet. Very nice creamy body, excellent mouth feel. Wow, I waited a long time to pick this up and it sat around my area for a while; I bought one of the last bottles; probably half a year old. Should have picked it up sooner, this is very nice. There a bit more biscuit than normal for a double bock, giving it a bit of an old ale flavor and feel, and the depth of flavor is what I'd expect from something with a higher ABV (which is not at all noticeable here). The thick creamy body adds to the rich malt. Probably one the nicest doppelbocks I've ever had, although I think it is a bit more roasty and biscuity than traditional; not enough to move it out of the style, but adding a great complexity to it. As an old ale fan, this is as good as I can hope from a doppelbock. Kudos to the brewer and I won't miss it again when it comes out. Delicious.

4.37/5  rDev +4%

Wooo Hooo!!! No more waxed tops!! 1ltr bullet shaped flip-top picked up at the Bozeman COOP on our MT trip a few weeks ago... Sharing this one with Brenda... mine is poured into my shaped SA glass.... paid about $13.

1" tan head... the head has a definite gold color to it.. the brew is daaark for a dopplebock.. very dark brown but when held to the nearest bulb, it reveals a crystal clear deep ruby color... very pretty..

Nose is thick and very full of heavy malts... not sweet smelling.. just very malty.. sorta a plummy fruitiness... wow.. you don't get this much in doppelbocks (in a good way).. I would expect a long boil or decoction made this one as aromatic as it is.

Flavor is very complex for a doppelbock... a bunch of stuff going on here.. thick maltiness... some slight chocolate... is this what melanoidins taste like???? sorta a pruney frutiness with a bunch of malty sweeness.. but it still seems very drinkable despite the great body and slightly light carbonation.. the only thing that I can complain about is that it may be a tad sticky... but overall, I am damn impressed with this one... very very smooth.. and the complex malt characteristics come in waves as it warms up.. this may be the best example of an American dopplebock that I've ever had.... I love Capital.. and Autumnal Fire .. but this is certainly more traditional at every corner.

Boise COOP Matt told me earlier this week that he ordered some of these brews in.... I am super stoked... I will certainly be picking up my share.. This is a "grown man's" dopplebock.. big on every account... and a sippin brew for sure.. but with the massive bottle... I am.. and you will be too.. sippin for quite a while.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Haven't had a doppelbock in a while, and I'm looking forward to this one. 2013 vintage. Tasted 16 April 2013.

Pours very deep brown, nearly black. Light behind it reveals deep reds, and a surprising clarity. One finger of tan head, good retention, nice lacing.

Smell is a brown sugar bomb, followed by figs and plums. It's all dark and sweet, and it's excellent. An amalgam of varied, intriguing sweetnesses.

Taste is a step down from the smell, but a small one. It's similarly sweet and fruity, but it doesn't have quite the same depth or variety as the smell. Has a nice soft bitter drift in the back end, that kinda lays on top of all that sweetness.

Feel is quite pleasant. Medium-bodied, almost chewy, with a light fuzzy carbonation that stays medium-low throughout. Quite good, actually.

One of the best doppelbocks I've had, in the realm of the classic European ones, and easily surpassing even the better domestic ones. It's really clean, with no rough edges, only sweet, rich, and dark. Yum.

4.37/5  rDev +4%

I'd been waiting for this to cap off a hellacious week. 33.8 oz swing top (no more wax!) bottled Feb 11 2009, very cool label. $10 from Northridge in Laramie, WY.

A: Dark brown, almost black with a cream colored head, about half an inch thick or so, receded to a film. Nice clumps of lacing. Excellent red highlights at the edges, around 75% opacity.

S: Caramel, roasted malts, chocolate, a slight bit of smoke, really really sweet smelling. This is going to be a huge malt bomb. Very nice.

T: Very sweet, huge caramel flavor, slight hints of chocolate, a slight bit of booze, definitely not as boozey as I had imagined. I think a little age did this a lot of good. Really a huge complexity of malt in this one. For a beer focusing on the water aspect of the reinheitsgebot, this one is an excellent display of malt. Slightly astringent alcohol keeps this in check, at 18IBUs i'm not surprised there isn't much of a hop character.

M: Thick and creamy, very sticky, and slightly hot from the alcohol, excellent.

D: Quite easy to drink, I just know that there is an 8.0% tag on it, and that makes me think, slow down, because this beer is easy to drink, very very easy to drink. It isn't a problem to finish the entire liter. Excellent dessert beer.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle provided by bu11zeye and tasted at thirdeye11's birthday tasting.

Pours brown with a light brown head. Aroma is sweet toffee with some chocolate and roasted nuts. The flavor is more of the same with sweet caramel, toffee and some alcohol. A very flavorful and drinkable doppelbock. Medium mouthfeel.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1L bottle, split with a friend, with my share going into my Duvel tulip.

Double Vision pour a shade or two lighter than stout black. The tan head rises to a decent height, and has some definite staying power. Unfortunately it doesn't leave much of a trail as it creeps down the side of the glass. The nose is straight dark fruits, it smells like a clean quad that doesn't have any kind of spicy yeasty flavors. The flavor is a bit more nuanced, it takes that plum/fig/raisin base and adds a healthy dose of milk chocolate and a slight suggestion of oxidation (little enough that it actually works well with the beer instead of detracting from it). The mouthfeel is absolutely luxuriant, a full and creamy body paired with pinpoint, yet subdued carbonation. Double Vision is a beer my parents brought home from a trip to Vegas, and while I hadn't heard of Grand Teton before, this beer has put them on my radar in a big way.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Thanks goes out to Bitterbill for this brew.

12oz. Sample Bottle

Pours a very nice dark brown color, nice carbonation, nice little creamy tan head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is big on malts, slight hop note, spicey. The taste is sweet, malty, slightly hoppy, with some toffee thrown in, also some spice notes. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is another tasty one from GT. Thanks for hooking me up again on these.

4.29/5  rDev +2.1%

2009 bottle purchased at Discount Liquor. 1L swing-top. Served in a Jester King tulip.

A - A finger of tan foam settles to a thin collar and some film, leaving minimal lace. Transparent dark red-brown body.

S - Caramel, bread, cake, dark fruits, milk chocolate, a bit of Whoppers, and a slight hint of complementary oxidation. No obvious alcohol.

T - Quite mellow and smooth, with plenty of vanilla, dark fruits, roasted grains, cake, bread and some malted milk chocolate.

M - Smooth medium body, lower carbonation, no obvious alcohol, and a lightly sticky finish.

D - This was shockingly good. It's a bit too sweet to crush, but it matches up extremely well with the best German doppelbocks and seems to age fairly gracefully as well. I went back for a second pour of this one, and I'm sad to see it is retired. Why isn't Grand Teton re-visiting this beer? It's the best thing I've had from them by a substantial margin.

4.29/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

very billowy chocolate-milk-looking head, settles to fine bubbles lying on top of bigger bubbles beneath them...
smell is more like a dark brown ale, kind of nutty. kind of malty, some chalk....
taste is kind of sweet, but not a dopplebock sweet. this tastes nothing like a typical german dopplebock. it's slightly sweet at the finish with a bitter hop presence at the front.
at 8%, it's a decent brew, but it's not a dopple in my opinion. somebody got their recipes mixed up, I think.

Double Vision Doppelbock from Grand Teton Brewing Co.