Double Vision Doppelbock | Grand Teton Brewing Co.

Double Vision DoppelbockDouble Vision Doppelbock

Grand Teton Brewing Co.
Idaho, United States
grandtetonbrewing.com

Style: Doppelbock

Our Double Vision Doppelbock is brewed with Idaho 2-Row Pale and German Munich, CaraAroma, CaraMunich and de-husked Carafa malts to an original gravity of 24 Plato (1.096 SG). The malts provide a dark leather color with ruby notes, a luxurious tan head, and a bready aroma with a hint of smoke. It is lightly spiced with Liberty hops, an American version of the noble German Hallertau Mittelfruh, and fermented with lager yeast from a monastery brewery near Munich. In the traditional manner, Double Vision is fermented cold (48 F) and lagered a full 10 weeks for smoothness. At over 8% alcohol by volume, it is a deceptively drinkable springtime warmer.

Added by Bitterbill on 03-20-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 64 | Ratings: 149
4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured a gorgeous deep brown from a 1 liter bottle

Strong, delicious chocolate smell, plus a little roast coffee.

Really wonderful, deep flavor. Very complex, from chocolate to bourbon-like.

Very full mouthful, rich and palate-coating.

I wish I could keep drinking this forever.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours an incredibly dark brown. Still quite brown though, I couldn't call it black at all. And I can see some bubbles running through the glass to the top. The head is massive, like 4cm+, a light brown color, and it leaves incredible lacing. I couldn't ask for a better looking doppelback. As for the smell, the first thing you notice is a very grainy smell, and very specifically a munich malt smell - I mean, like fresh-milled munich malt. There's a bit of chocolate, a little burnt, toasty note. Also, quite a bit of caramel in there. I can kind of senes some smokiness, not like smoked malt, but that nice roasty presence that gets smoky. I'm not sure entirely, but I think I can sense some hops, a bit of spicy leafiness expected from noble hops. The graininess keeps up to the front. When I went in for the taste, it came up just how I wanted it, too. You start with a little bit of dark, nearly roasted chocolate. Then comes that thick, viscous, bready malt. It's chewy and grainy, with a little bite of spice. I can almost taste the alcohol, but otherwise, this is very clean - no fermentation off-flavors. The caramel comes and goes at different drinks, balancing the roastiness at times, and other times it's balanced with the spice. Aside from the alcohol, this has an incredible taste - at times it reminds me of a stout/porter but with a much cleaner fermentation profile, which I really love. And I find that when you get a nice drink when you get a bit of the head in the mouth - I think it helps to mask the slight edge of alcohol. The body is incredibly full, full in every way, in malt body, a little bit of herbal flavors, the carbonation rushes to your mouth when you drink without a sting. I guess I have to deduct just a little bit for the alcohol flavor. And I may truly be underestimating the drinkability here, because it's a 750 mL (I think) and it slowed me down significantly, though I wanted to drink it as quickly as possible. I think you could make a whole night out of one bottle, at the right pace, but I'm sure I would enjoy every last drop of it. I'm really amazed at this beer.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into chimay goblet. Color is brown with a reddish brick tint. Nice head that stays. Smell is lots if caramel, malt, slight Dark fruit. Taste has a lot of caramel notes that finishes with a dark fruit taste that I like. Great mouthfeel that makes thus go down easy. It is almost creamy with not to much carbonation. Solid beer. I like this one.

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%

Wooo Hooo!!! No more waxed tops!! 1ltr bullet shaped flip-top picked up at the Bozeman COOP on our MT trip a few weeks ago... Sharing this one with Brenda... mine is poured into my shaped SA glass.... paid about $13.

1" tan head... the head has a definite gold color to it.. the brew is daaark for a dopplebock.. very dark brown but when held to the nearest bulb, it reveals a crystal clear deep ruby color... very pretty..

Nose is thick and very full of heavy malts... not sweet smelling.. just very malty.. sorta a plummy fruitiness... wow.. you don't get this much in doppelbocks (in a good way).. I would expect a long boil or decoction made this one as aromatic as it is.

Flavor is very complex for a doppelbock... a bunch of stuff going on here.. thick maltiness... some slight chocolate... is this what melanoidins taste like???? sorta a pruney frutiness with a bunch of malty sweeness.. but it still seems very drinkable despite the great body and slightly light carbonation.. the only thing that I can complain about is that it may be a tad sticky... but overall, I am damn impressed with this one... very very smooth.. and the complex malt characteristics come in waves as it warms up.. this may be the best example of an American dopplebock that I've ever had.... I love Capital.. and Autumnal Fire .. but this is certainly more traditional at every corner.

Boise COOP Matt told me earlier this week that he ordered some of these brews in.... I am super stoked... I will certainly be picking up my share.. This is a "grown man's" dopplebock.. big on every account... and a sippin brew for sure.. but with the massive bottle... I am.. and you will be too.. sippin for quite a while.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a rich dark ruby to black color with tan head that rises quite well and dissipates to a thin rim lace. Nose is very traditional for the style with plenty of "goat's breath" dark bread breadyness, perhaps a suggestion towards a dessert cake (Black Forest Chocolate?), and a slight fruityness in the mix - maybe a jammy fig or dark cherry. Palate is a whopper with roasty malt, caramel, and just enough hop bitterness to keep it from being too sweet. Finish is long, malty, and rich. Excellent example of a doppelbock.

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%

I'd been waiting for this to cap off a hellacious week. 33.8 oz swing top (no more wax!) bottled Feb 11 2009, very cool label. $10 from Northridge in Laramie, WY.

A: Dark brown, almost black with a cream colored head, about half an inch thick or so, receded to a film. Nice clumps of lacing. Excellent red highlights at the edges, around 75% opacity.

S: Caramel, roasted malts, chocolate, a slight bit of smoke, really really sweet smelling. This is going to be a huge malt bomb. Very nice.

T: Very sweet, huge caramel flavor, slight hints of chocolate, a slight bit of booze, definitely not as boozey as I had imagined. I think a little age did this a lot of good. Really a huge complexity of malt in this one. For a beer focusing on the water aspect of the reinheitsgebot, this one is an excellent display of malt. Slightly astringent alcohol keeps this in check, at 18IBUs i'm not surprised there isn't much of a hop character.

M: Thick and creamy, very sticky, and slightly hot from the alcohol, excellent.

D: Quite easy to drink, I just know that there is an 8.0% tag on it, and that makes me think, slow down, because this beer is easy to drink, very very easy to drink. It isn't a problem to finish the entire liter. Excellent dessert beer.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Massive 34 OZ flip top bottle of beer, 2009 vintage.

Clear dark brown colored beer with a good light brown colored head. Extremely dark for the style.

Smells strongly of chocolate, like chocolate soda levels of chocolate. Nuts under the chocolate, but this is just plainly a very chocolate scented beer.

Sweet with a big chocolate flavor and a slight hit of hops, but only in passing. Slight melon flavor that was not expected. Mild bitterness but this is a chocolate beer.

Pure velvet mouthfeel here, no better bock.

Interesting beer, a little too sweet for my taste but about the most chocolate flavored beer I know.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Jorge got this as a birthday present from his boss. Split between a couple of mugs.

Appearance: Looks kinda like root beer, especially in this mug. Appears to be just tootsie roll brown at first, but shows a lot more red in the light. Head starts out tall, tight, and creamy, but then thins out and descends to a creamy halo. Head is light brown in color. Gorgeous notch-like lacing. Decent retention. Looks very thick for a doppelbock.

Smell: Chocolate mousse and dark chocolate. Sweet leafy hops peak through, but don't even come close to balancing the strength of the malts. Smoke comes out more as it warms. Some sweet, alcoholic, molasses-like stuff also makes an appearance.

Taste: Dark chocolate, some dark fruits, spices and maybe pepper, lots of malt. Malted milk balls? Yeah, for sure. Pretty tasty. Finishes dry and a little spicy.

Mouthfeel: Maybe the thickest doppelbock I've had. Creamy and smooth. Finishes dry and spicy. Pretty low carbonation. A little sticky. I like the creaminess, but I think I'd prefer something a little thinner and drier to tell the truth. Some more leafy hops would be nice as well. Still, quite enjoyable.

Drinkability: A creamy, full, chocolaty, doppelbock. This would make a delicious dessert. I'd prefer something a little lighter and more traditional, but this was still damn good. Thanks Jorge!

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

05/28/09- Purchased at Mollie Stones in Burlingame, CA. $14.99 price tag.

Presentation- One liter swingtop bottle....thank God it's not waxed like they usually are. 2009 release poured into a Duvel glass.

Appearance- Dark brown colored pour with a nice dirty white full one inch head which a nice rim reamins for the duration. Leaves some watery spotting and some other markings behind.

Smell- Not a huge aroma. Notes of hot chocolate mix, a slight coffee note and some deep malts.

Taste- A different tasting Doppelbock...one of the more chocolaty ones out there. Kinda of a malted milk ball flavor or maybe even those frozen dinner chocolate cake corners. Dark malts carry the beer, but meld about as nicely as it can with the chocolate. Some light coffee notes as well. Not really any hops to speak of.

Mouthfeel- Very silky and quite smooth. Lightly creamy and a bit viscous. Carbonation is lower.

Drinkability- All in all this is one of the better if not the best or in the top 3 for sure of the best American made doppelbock's I have gotten to try. Very good job GT! I will be buying another.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks goes out to Bitterbill for this brew.

12oz. Sample Bottle

Pours a very nice dark brown color, nice carbonation, nice little creamy tan head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is big on malts, slight hop note, spicey. The taste is sweet, malty, slightly hoppy, with some toffee thrown in, also some spice notes. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is another tasty one from GT. Thanks for hooking me up again on these.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Big 1 quart bottle. Poured a hazy mahogany with a thick, creamy tan head. Moderate lacing. Sweet, caramel/molasses and candy-corn nose. Anise, prunes, and toffee are also prevalent. Velvety mouthfeel. Chocolate-chip cookies, but made with dark chocolate is the dominant flavor. Cream/lactose, caramel, and alcohol follow. Just a little dried fruit and a sugary sweetness reminiscent of Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. I have to hand it to Grand Teton, their cellar reserve beers are always top-notch.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Drank this with mothman last night!

Poured with a 1.5 finger rich tan head that dissipated at a medium rate. The beer itself is a deep red amber color that is hard to see through.

Smells of roasted malts, dark fruits, and hints of chocolate and caramel.

Taste consist of roasted malts, chocolate, a slight alcohol taste, and caramel. Leaves a nice roasted malt chocolate after taste.

Mouthfeel is smooth. Medium to low carbonation.

Easy to drink, the alcohol is covered up very well. If you drink the whole 1 quart 1.8 fluid oz bottle, you will most likely be a bit tipsy. Overall a great beer, recommended.

4.17/5  rDev -1%

Enjoying this huge bottle with ThePeskyDingo

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass.

Pours a 1 and 1/2 finger creamy tan head. After a few minutes, it settles to a thin layer, built up around the edges of the glass. Leaves some splattered lace.

Color is dark ruby/copper.

Aroma is of a lot of malts. Dark chocolate, alcohol, licorice, molasses, and dark dried fruits. Very rich.

Taste: First thing I thought of was a stout. This beer was dark and thick. Dark chocolate and alcohol both very present, but the alcohol isn't overpowering (which is nice). After the beer goes down, I notice a smokey malts flavor. Dark dried fruits shine through as well. Wood-type flavor as well.

Mouthfeel: Is very creamy, but has a touch of alcohol consistantly present. Leaves an amazing aftertaste. Kinda of woody/boozy/chocolatey.

Overall, I really enjoyed this doppelbock. Had a lot of rich flavor and the alcohol seemed to be just right. I highly recommend this 1 quart 1.8 fluid oz bottle. But, share it with a friend like me.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

I got this sampler bottle from Mike at Poplar Wine & Spirits. Thanks Mike!

This pours a dark brown amber with a 3 finger head of tan foam. It's a very lively bunch of foam and grows in the glass slowly.

The smell is on the sweet side with notes of caramel malt, chocolate, and a slight bitterness.
I can also smell the alcohol.

The taste is of chocolate, caramel malt, toffee, some dark chocolate bitterness, and a fair amount of alcohol comes through. Lots of warming going on...Good taster, though.

The mouthfeel is on the heavy side of medium, the carbonation is light, and it finishes with notes of milk and dark chocolate that brings both sweet and bitter to the table.

Drinkability? This is very warming so 1 bottle and I'm done but the flavours are nice so the session is enjoyable. Btw, the head retention is very good and there's tons of lace sheeting my glass.

When the regular 1L bottles come out for sale, I'll try to cellar a few and see what some aging will do. As is, this is a "hot" Doppelbock.

Edit: I'm now sipping on another bottle, bottled on Feb 11, 2009, and the flavours are still delicious but, thankfully, the alcohol presence had calmed down big time and gave it an overall better taste. Cellaring has definitely improved the drinkability as well. Scores adjusted accordingly.

Another edit, July 17, 2010.

Well, I was curious to see how this one would fare with some time in the cellar and man am I pleased. All of the flavours have come together nicely with sweet but balanced malt and semi bitter notes of chocolate. The alcohol calmed down some more since my last edit but it is still a warmer. Now, as it is right now, I think it ranks with the best of the style that I've had. I'll try again in 6 months or so..

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Double Vision Doppelbock from Grand Teton Brewing Co.