Snarling Badger Berliner Weisse | Grand Teton Brewing Co.

good
good
Read the review
Snarling Badger Berliner WeisseSnarling Badger Berliner Weisse

Grand Teton Brewing Co.
Idaho, United States
grandtetonbrewing.com

Style: Berliner Weissbier

In Berliner Weisse we think we’ve found the perfect style for our summer Cellar Reserve. This north German wheat beer is traditionally brewed and released very fresh. It has a light body from the wheat and refreshingly tart acidity that make it a perfect summer thirst-quencher. Its lemony tartness is provided by a secondary fermentation with lactobacillus, the same microorganism that’s responsible for yogurt’s tang. That tartness increases and improves with age, so the people of Berlin are known to buy extra bottles to bury in their gardens for two years or more.

As usual with our Cellar Reserves, we’ve taken a traditional style and added our own twist. In this case we’ve tripled the strength over the traditional beer, which should only increase its aging potential. For the primary fermentation we used a traditional Bavarian hefeweizen yeast that produces soft notes of banana and clove. We followed that with lactobacillus and six months in conditioning to create a complex fruity acidity that compliments the soft sweet malt tones and a unique ale that is both fulfilling and refreshing.

Added by MasterSki on 03-11-2012

4.64/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +30.1%

I really can't believe that this beer hasn't received a better report yet for the Berliner Weisse style it presents despite the fact that it is 7.5% ABV...

4.39/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a yellowish color and a hazy consistency. There was an inch of foamy head that didn't last particularly long. No real lacing.

S: An extremely sweet, fruity and inviting aroma. Also had traces yeast as well.

T: Tasted of fruit (bananas, mostly), spices (cloves), malt, and some yeast. At first, the flavor seemed almost too harsh, but it gradually grew on me. Very sweet and easy to drink.

M: An average amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Not your typical Berliner Weissbier flavor, but definitely well made and drinkable.

4.29/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.26/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My wife picked this one up for me when she couldn't find my favorite Grand Teton beer "Tail Waggin' Double White". I have to admit, the name snarling badger threw me a little and I wasn't sure what to expect, but like all of their beer, I knew it would be good. It was and I have bought several since.

While this is labled "Berliner Weisse", it actually has a lot of the Belgian Wit style attributes. Much less of a citrus kick to it, but still a little without being overwhelming. It starts smooth, with a good mouthfeel, without the belgian bite to it. Nice head (pour slow or it will go over the top easily). The hops are really light as expected. Any more would ruin the balance of this well crafted beer. Color is light golden and a smooth hazy with no chunks. the finish is the best part. This goes down smooth and its a good thing it comes in 22 oz bottles or I could see a 6-pack dissapearing very quickly. The alcohol kick is pretty good at 7.5% (without the taste or smell of rocket fuel) and six of these would sneak up really quick, but make for a fun night. I really like the "not so filling" part of this style. You can drink it and enjoy it easily without being overwhelmed. I had mine with a chicken pasta. An excellant pairing.

My only complaint is distribution. I live in Utah and have only found this in one store in Wyoming (enough said). Last trip up, I bought all they had, but after a great beer conversation with the clerk, felt compelled to leave one for the guy as we had similar tastes in beer and he was curious to try it. The price was actually really good ( I think 6 dollars or so) so I had no problem cleaning out the store. I havn't made a trip yet up to their store/brewry, but it is on the agenda. Overall, excellant!

4.25/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Hazy amber with a champagne like white foam cap that quickly fills the glass and then drops to a thick fizzy film.
S: Light horseblanket and lemony tartness, light bread.
T: Lemony tart light fruit, white bread. F: Very effervescent, refreshing and light.
O: This has twice the alcohol of a traditional Berliner Weiss but it is ery refreshing.

4.15/5  rDev +19.9%

12oz sampler bottle.

It pours a very hazy/cloudy orange with very little foam, just a ring around the glass.

The smell is of bananas, cloves, and sweet malt. Other spices and fruitiness are there but I can't put my finger on them.

Big bananas and cloves up front in the taste, with some lemon zest bring light tart notes and some very sweet malty notes. Overall, the beer is more sweet than tart, which would be a less likeable road for the style for me, but GT manages to pull it off nicely.

The 7.5% is definitely noticeable but GT brewed the beer this way with cellaring in mind so I'll take that into account.

Medium bodied, fairly light carbonation..a pretty good mouthfeel though I'd consider it the weakest link for Snarling Badger.

Bottom line: This gets more and more tasty as the beer warms from cellar temp up. I will buy some bottles when they show up, for sure.

PS: I wish Grand Teton made a lower abv and more true to style version of this. I think they'd do a bang up job.

Snarling Badger Berliner Weisse from Grand Teton Brewing Co.