Woodie Gold | Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Added by scottoale on 03-20-2006

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 43 | Ratings: 67
3.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle from a sixer brought by a friend to my wife's birthday party in July 2006. He brought it because he liked the label (see attached photo).

Double Pilsner? What is that? Never heard of it. Based on the style guidelines (more malt backbone and intense bitterness), this gets one out of two right. Full rich malt, sweet but not cloying, very very drinkable on a hot day, but I can find absolutely no bitterness. As aonther reviewer mentioned, creamy. Not a bad thing, just not what the description says. Hmm.

I kinda like it, but it is literally 110 degrees at 5:30 PM, so most cold beers will be good. Seriously, I can drink this, but it is more of a one-off for me.

3.18/5  rDev -3.9%

Not many reviews for this one...which I though was odd. I must've seen it on tap in nearly every hotel or restaurant I saw in the San Diego gaslamp area.
Comes a light golden color. It looks like a Pils, although maybe a little more amber than a bright yellow. Head's more pronounced than the KS Amber, which is nice.
Smells like a fresh euro macro to me. No skunkiness, but then again nothing really special either. Reminds me of a Heineken straight from the brewery.
Taste is crisp. For a double pils, this was pretty subdued. There's a little hoppy bitterness and some huskiness, but I was expecting something stronger. Again, it reminds me of a euro lager that has no skunkiness. If you like those but hate how it's tough to get a "good" one - this is your brew.
Mouthfeel is a little thicker than you'd expect. I'm used to the more "soda-style" carbonation from the euro pils brews, but this one is thicker and reminds me a little of a british ale in texture.
It could be a decent quencher, but I like the Amber much more. Not a bad brew, but nothing wonderful either.

2.85/5  rDev -13.9%

Had this one at my folks house last night. Somewhat perplexed, I bought a single 12oz to add and review. The brown bottle has a lable that depicts a San Diego beach scene at sunset with the classic old "Woodie" as the theme of the label. The neck label classifies this brew as a "Coastal-Style Classic Blonde Pilsener"... whatever...the closest style listed I figured would be the American Dbl. Pilsner, so I went with it.

It pours a straw pale gold with a two finger pure white bubbly head that dies quickly. Lacing, well a few dots and a dab, although the carbonation produces a steady flow of bubbles from the bottom.

Smells of light wheat, weak malt and a hint of lemony hops. It smells like a wheat beer to me.

Tastes sweet at first with a watery, fizzy, light malt (more like wheat) to a weak hop (bitter defeated by sweet) dry finish. Notes of lemon peel and sweet-n-low with no sign of alcohol, must be low in ABV (not listed)

Fizzy, creamy like mouthfeel leaves the mouth dry and has very little aftertaste as it just tastes weak. You could probably drink gallons of it, but why bother ?

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last