Tower 10 IPA | Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Tower 10 IPATower 10 IPA

Karl Strauss Brewing Company
karlstrauss.com

Style: American IPA

Tower 10 IPA boasts hops from beginning to end, and everywhere in between. We fill the brew kettle to the brim with assertive Chinook hops, giving the beer its intense grapefruit and pine flavors that linger through its dry finish. After fermentation, we dry hop with a blend of Cascade and Centennial hops for a floral citrus aroma. A touch of lightly kilned caramel malts make Tower 10 a well balanced, full flavored IPA.

Mission Beach, the late 1980s. Amid a sea of neon bikinis, Tower 10 marked the spot where two college grads and a 75 year-old master brewer drew up plans for the first local craft brewery in San Diego since Prohibition. Named in honor of our first good idea, Tower 10 IPA is brewed to inspire the next one.

Added by Overlord on 03-15-2009

Liked:
3.69/5
Alströms:

firstprev| 376-400 | 401-425 | 426-450  | next → last
3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours orange, good clarity, big head with nice lace.

S: Orange, grapefruit and pine.

T: Citrus and pine play off each other with some nice toasted malt to balance it all out. A good flavour, but not very intense as I expect out of San Diego.

M: Medium-bodied, thin at times, resiny.

D: A solid IPA, but not in the upper echelon of what is coming out of San Diego County, but certainly drinkable.

3.97/5  rDev +7.6%

On tap while killing time in LAX
Poured a reddish copper color almost like a penny.Nose is floral, citrus, pine and big malt. Taste is wow..good. I thought this was a chewy, malty IPA for a West Coast American style. Floral and pine notes with some citrus to. Mouthfeel is nice and good, went down well and I could have had a few of these but at $7 in the airport I passed.

3.81/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a growler that I bought at Karl Strauss in downtown San Diego on Tuesday. Has been in the fridge since I bought it. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pour yields a 1/2" head. Beer is a copper amber color and very, very clear. Can see bubbles of carbonation floating up. Head is foamy and recedes to about half of initial size after a few minutes. Leaves nice lacing down the glass, though not like the lacing it leaves out of the tap, still very cool. As I drink, head eventually comes down to a thin film that sits atop the beer. Swirling the beer brings back head that is about the same size as the initial settling size (sorry if that doesn't make sense). I really like the lacing and the clarity of the beer.

S: Not much here sadly. I got floral hops, pine and grassy smells but that was about it. Wish there was more.

T: Much like the smell, pine, grass and hops. However, I like these taste in my IPA. Can taste pine and grassy notes and ends with a nice hop bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste for awhile. I can still taste the bitterness after a few minutes of not drinking. Eventually get a faint malty sweetness as the beer warms but even after two pints, still not much malt there. Like the taste but wish it had some citrus notes to it.

M: Good carbonation for being out of a two day old growler. However, there is a watery feel to it and feels rather thin to me. No alcohol taste to speak off. Tongue feels a bit oily after taking a few bigger sips.

D: Very different from on tap but still very enjoyable. It was a bit thin but that helped it go down all the faster. Finished my pint very quickly. I really enjoyed this IPA, maybe would have liked a bit more maltiness but a solid IPA I think. I will for sure be getting that again next time I come across it.

3.23/5  rDev -12.5%

Tap @ downtown location. Poured clear copper with a short white head. Minimal lacing. Light, grassy aroma with piney hops, white pepper, and citrus. Watery mouthfeel. Refreshing taste, mostly grapefruit and a light bitter resiny taste. Some mineral and bread flavors, dry finish. Came across as an IPA-lite.

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Pours a deep amber/orange with lots of carbonation. The head remains somewhat soapy, exhibits a little lacing, and stays around for awhile. Looks pretty good from the start; at least better than any other KS ale I've had.

S: Smells of milky ripe fruit (I'm guessing the malt is pretty biscuity), with a touch of caramel or even Oreo cookies! (Ok, maybe that was a little crazy, but throw me a bone here!). The hops are noticeable, but the malt is the dominant scent here.

T: The hops that were hidden come out on the palette big time! This is actually a very nicely balanced IPA. Not the sweetest I've tried, and not the hoppiest, but a nice combination of both. Reminds me of Anderson Valley's Poleeko Pale, but with a creamier consistency and a much closer balance. My only criticism of the taste is that the malt could come through a little more. Overall, not bad!!

M: Pretty good. Being surrounded by so many good California IPAs I feel a little overwhelmed, but my only criticism is that it could be a tad chewier. KS beers tend to be a little watery in my opinion, and this IPA comes as close as I've found with them to balancing out the mouthfeel. This ale needs a bit more sweetness from the malt and a slightly thicker consistency might help it.

D: The bitterness from the hops really lingers on my palette, which forces me to take another swig. Not that it's entirely enjoyable; a slightly cleaner finish would improve the drinkability. That being said, this is my favorite KS beer from a bottle. I've had their Red Trolley Ale out of a cold keg and it was fantastic, but I think due to the thin nature of most of their beers, the keg and CO2 helped round out the drinkability. Overall, a decent offering from a good local brewer!

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Second of two IPAs I had at the brewery restaurant in Sorrento Mesa (the first being the Double IPA). The better of the two, in my opinion.

Slightly darker than golden with little noticeable carbonation. It had no signs of haze, pouring crystal clear. Unfortunately, it was poured with no head and served too cold (just like the one before). After letting it warm a bit, there was more distinct citrus tones to the hopping, both in aroma and taste. Medium mouthfeel, it had a pleasant bitter finish. Would have been worth of a second, if I hadn't eaten so much.

On tap at the Columbia St. restaurant on 3/17/09. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a clear copper amber with a 1/2 finger of foamy brite-white head that stays rich and creamy, leaving some very nice looking spotty lacing back. The aroma is floral and spicy with a strong citric character to it. A solid malty backbone of caramel and bread lies in the background, imparting a nice sharp tang to the nose.

The taste has a moderate bitterness to it and a big citrus smack as well. This is nicely balanced by caramel and toasted malts, which combines with the tropical fruit flavors to really level a nice tangy feel towards the back of the profile. Light bitterness and residual sweetness hangs well past the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a bit of firmness to the carbonation but the overall feel is creamy and gentle on the palate.

I liked this. They appeared to use Crystal & Cascade hops, going the more spicy citrus bomb route with this. IMHO, probably a good idea, as it retains a fresh West Coast feel but still remains accesssible to the less adventurous patrons of the Karl Strauss chain. This was a nice changeup from the majority of the San Diego hop bombs that I drank my share of on this trip.

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%

Not a bad IPA.

Came an awfully reddish looking copper, with maybe a hint of orange. Very similar to the Red Trolley.

Smells faintly of grapefruit, and strongly of bittering pine. Taste is more of the same, mostly bitter pine, some grapefruit ... I'm hard pressed to say that there is any other citrus, tropical, or malt notes to it. Very straightforward.

Nice mouthfeel.