Tower 10 IPA | Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Tower 10 IPATower 10 IPA

Karl Strauss Brewing Company
karlstrauss.com

Style: American IPA

Tower 10 IPA boasts hops from beginning to end, and everywhere in between. We fill the brew kettle to the brim with assertive Chinook hops, giving the beer its intense grapefruit and pine flavors that linger through its dry finish. After fermentation, we dry hop with a blend of Cascade and Centennial hops for a floral citrus aroma. A touch of lightly kilned caramel malts make Tower 10 a well balanced, full flavored IPA.

Mission Beach, the late 1980s. Amid a sea of neon bikinis, Tower 10 marked the spot where two college grads and a 75 year-old master brewer drew up plans for the first local craft brewery in San Diego since Prohibition. Named in honor of our first good idea, Tower 10 IPA is brewed to inspire the next one.

Added by Overlord on 03-15-2009

2.28/5  rDev -37.9%

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

3.64/5  rDev -0.8%

4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

Grabbed a pint on tap at the Karl Strauss Carlsbad, to go along with my dinner at the bar. Seemed like a good bet, not being far from my temporary CA home.

The pour is a fine Goldilocks yellow, filtered to perfection. Nose comes through as light fruits, with a underlying threat of bitter hops. That’s my boy.

Tower 10 – I have to say I’m surprised by the overall low rating. A different beast out of the bottle, maybe? Oh, wait, I can’t bloody tell anymore. Bitterness piles on top of bitterness, & I have to give my tongue a little shock for it to register anything else. Mid-palate comes orange zest, torn guts of a grapefruit, sharp lemon. Fruitiness meshes wonderfully with the hard-eyed bitters. And just like that, sixteen ounces has vanished. Hmmmm.

An unexpectedly excellent brew. Bonus points for the good-looking bartender giving me a taste of the wheat, as well (only OK, but it’s the thought that counts, right?). If Karl Strauss had tasters, I’d definitely be back to try more of the menu!

3.96/5  rDev +7.9%