Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hamilton's Back In Black Imperial Chili Spiced Chocolate Milk Coffee Porter | Karl Strauss Brewing Company

4.71/5

Added by Halcyondays on 05-01-2010

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.75/5  rDev +0.8%

On Cask @ Hamilton's 4/30/10. $3.75 for a 14-16 oz pour in a New Belgium Tulip.

Poured a cascading deep black with a light brown head.

Milk chocolate, vanilla, and faint coffee on the nose.

Taste was phenomenally complex. Chocolate, vanilla, and faint coffee flavors followed by a little chili burn in the throat on its way down. I wondered if this would be a mess of a beer due to the many components; however, everything works in unison. I have had an aversion to strong (acrid) coffee flavors in beer for a while, but the espresso is just right here, adding only a complimentary flavor. The chili heat doesn't distract at all, as you only sense it on the finish after experiencing the other flavors first.

Mouthfeel is perfect. The cask conditioning and the milk addition make this one of the silkiest beers I have ever had.

I would have guessed about 7-8% abv. No alcohol heat at 11%, just chili. I would have had two or three more if I thought I could have walked afterward.

Special thanks to the Hammy's owner, whose name slips my mind, for the extra (free) pour for toasting purposes. Not sure this should be listed as a Strauss beer, as it was brewed by a former Strauss employee at Karl Strauss for Hamilton's.

4.97/5  rDev +5.5%

Had at Hamiltons.

dark dark brown (from what I could see in while inside hamiltons)
with minimal head.

the aroma is sweet milt chocolate mixed with a nice bold malt aroma... minimal if any chile in the smell.

Wow this beer is insane. You can really taste the smooth silky milk chocolate in the brew. Followed by dark roasted malt. Very smooth and drinkable. After about half the glass the chile starts to creep through and th heat just starts to build and build on the palate. the last quarter is almost hard to finish... but so yummy at the same time!

One of my all time favorite brews for sure! Would love to have this side by side with a hunu...

4.4/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, got the name from Hamilton's blog,

A: Pours black with a dark long lasting brown head, nice retention.

S: Dark baker's chocolate.

T: Changes completely from the nose. Licorice and anise abound. Sweet oatmeal and residual lactose sugar are there as the main flavour. Clear capsaicin heat on the back end, mild, but it's there. I really liked it, a flavour I couldn't put my finger on, but I wagered it was chiles, and I was correct. Definitely reminds me of Mexican mole sauce. Complex and delicious.

M: Smooth, creamy, full-bodied, has the moderate heat from the chiles which I really liked.

D: The best Karl Strauss brew I've ever had. I assume this is a Hamilton's Anniversary brew, just really good stuff. Tasty, complex and intriguing - what I want in a beer.

Hamilton's Back In Black Imperial Chili Spiced Chocolate Milk Coffee Porter from Karl Strauss Brewing Company