Boardwalk Black Rye | Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Liked:
3.89/5
Alströms:

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Thanks to Kyle2k10 for yet another bomber of rye goodness. Black Rye? Intriguing or abomination? Let's find out. 22 oz. bomber split with my wife.

The pour is black. Nose is gentle & unobtrusive. Soft sweet malts, touch of roast, slight milkiness. Porteresque.

Boardwalk Black Rye is a the taste equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard. Big notes of roast up front (the fingernails) followed closely by a clashing crescendo of citrus & spices (the chalkboard), mixed with tire-slashing bitterness (the shrieking classmates). It doesn't actually taste bad, it just makes my face scrunch up - making it even more marred & leering, I'm sure - every time I take a sip. Half a bomber will be just fine, thank you.

Possibly the least well integrated beer I've ever tasted, & in the top 5% of beers with a mild smell that lure you into a completely different experience once the glass tings off your teeth. Not even sure how to score this. Is there a score for "jarring"? I guess I'll go with mediocre, because it's not bad, but I am certainly never going to need one again.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

for starters, my bottle says BOARDWALK BLACK RYE IPA. I cannot find anything else like this on BA, and I think they recently changed the label... i'm confused, but here goes (quickly):
black pour with a nice little head that is not very firm; smells nice and roasty. smells very nice. some green hop in there and some espresso, I think, and the taste follows that suit. a little burnt-ness to it, but very easy going down. rye seems to come at the finish with a little bitterness but overall this is pleasantly better than I was expecting. my apologies. I just hadn't had much respect for karl strauss but this is a serious abv with an astonishingly easy drinkability. I want to give it an 87 on appearance and smell but cannot, so I split them.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.76/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a near pitch black with the faintest of red tinge, while the head peaks out at 2 fingers thick and is a light tan in color. Good retention, resulting in a thin layer of suds across the surface. Lacing is strong with great stick.

Smell - Strong notes of roasted malt and char smokiness. Chocolate. Distant coffee notes. Light floral and citrus hop presence.

Taste - Follows the nose. Predominant roasted malts. Char and peat smokiness. Dark chocolate. Moderate hops give it a touch of citrus zing, but they are nowhere near the star of the show. Where's the rye? Only hints in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Full-bodied with lively carbonation. Creamy, but the carbonation gives it a whipped-like quality. Undoubtedly will thicken up as it loses CO2.

Overall - Drinks much closer to a light, smokey RIS than it does your typical Classic 'Black IPA'. Reminiscent of Mad River Serious Madness and Grand Teton Black Cauldron alike. I don't get much rye flavor, and when rye is in the name of the beer, it should be the featured character; here it is not, thus the lower overall score. If rye weren't in the name, with probably gets a 90 score from me. Still as a beer itself, without taking into consideration the style, this is really good and a definite future buy.

Boardwalk Black Rye from Karl Strauss Brewing Company