Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Old Columbia | Karl Strauss Brewing Company

4.08/5
Exceptional

Karl Strauss Brewing Company
karlstrauss.com

Style: American Barleywine

Added by HopHead84 on 02-10-2012

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Dark orange with a large white head. Good retention and scattered lacing.

S: Expressive pine and citrus: orange and grapefruit. Malt is bready with pronounced caramel and a little toffee. I detect earthy notes and a little dried fruit. Alcohol is hidden.

T: Aggressively bitter up front with notes of grapefruit rind and flesh and some pine. Subtle sweet notes step in, reminding me of caramel and toffee. I detect a little date and bread. I get some warming and a little alcohol flavor.

M: Upper medium body with matching carbonation. The mouthfeel is sticky and dry.

Overall: A good American Barleywine. Pretty aggressive but that's a good thing here. This would be pretty nice with a little age on it, but I can't really age a glass of beer so I'll finish it now.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be an English or American Barleywine, but it's pretty damn hoppy so I'll classify it as American.

Old Columbia from Karl Strauss Brewing Company