Sleeman Clear

Gots
SCORE
Awful
Sleeman ClearSleeman Clear
Notes: Sleeman brought you the first low-carb beer in Canada with Sleeman Clear. With only 2.5 g of carbohydrates and 90 calories, this one goes down nicely.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 44 | Ratings: 87
Reviews by BuckeyeNation:
1.28/5  rDev -27.3%

Pallid gold that is darker than expected given the lack of ingredients. Artificial coloring? The color of the beer was, of course, easy to discern prior to the pour thanks to the clear glass bottle. Sleeman Clear. Clear glass bottle. Get it? It really doesn't matter since I can't believe that the hop content even registers. The cap is a small, dingy white mess that leaves a smeary collar of lace.

Clear barely smells like beer at all. A faint, stale graininess (that isn't aromatic enough to be nasty) greets my nose. On the positive side, it's easy to ignore when taking a drink; at least I hope so. I can detect an artificial, not quite chemical-like scent if I search long and hard. I think I'll stop doing that now.

This is abominable beer. Truly awful. I wondered whether Sleeman would be able to make it taste like anything decent given the miniscule carb load. I wonder no longer. Unlike some of the other low carb/low calorie offerings, this beer actually has flavor. I'm not sure that that's such a good thing though. Give me no flavor any day if the alternative is a bottle of this dreck.

Sleeman Clear, as far as I've been able to determine, is the lowest of the low in term of carbs and calories. Its 2.5 gm and 90 undercuts Michelob Ultra (2.6 gm, 95) and Aspen Edge (2.6 gm, 94) by the slimmest of margins. Does the brewery consider that to be a victory. Anyone who drinks this beer, or any of the others for that matter, will find out quickly enough that it's anything but.

The mouthfeel (do I even need to type it?) is as watery as... well... water. A light spritz of carbonation is preferable to an abundance of big-bubbled fizziness, but there's no hope of redeeming such an insipid feeling beer. In fact, it's insipider than insipid; it's insipidest.

The $0.79 price tag was simply too good to pass up to see what 'the first low carbohydrate beer in Canada' tastes like. Needless to say, I won't be buying any more of it. In fact, if I ever have another bottle, I'll require payment somewhere in the vicinity of... oh, about $10.

2.12/5  rDev +20.5%

Very pale yellow, transparent in the extreme. A slight skin forms as a head, but its gone in twenty seconds. Laces in thin rings at mid glass. Aroma is lightly sweet, almost brown sugar. Body is thin and seltzery, to much carbonation. Hops sense is practically non-existant, malt is basic and slightly sappy but is conteracted by fizzy bubbles and a deconstructed finish. There's nothing to this beer to make me want to drink it again, but there's not the chemical qualities I get from some of the low carb and lighter Lagers.

1.18/5  rDev -33%

Well one thing is for sure: The beer is definitely clear. Light yellow-gold color with a thin and immediately gone white head. No lacing at all. The aroma is corny and a tad skunked. Soda-water body without much going on flavor-wise except some corn and off-flavored hops. The finish is clean and flavorless. I hope the other Sleeman beers are better than this.

3.06/5  rDev +73.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sleeman clear pours a crystal-clear, tan-accented, straw colored body beneath an average head of bright white foam that holds fairly well and leaves some nice lace about the glass. The color is slightly unusual, and I kind of like that.

The nose is skunky but also reveals some herbal character and a note of raw, wet, cereal grain.

In the mouth it's delicately crisp with a medium body and fine-bubbled, median carbonation that allows it to fade smoothly away from the palate.

The herbal, grassy, and delicately spicy hops meld quite well with the straw-like grainy malt; and it's nicely balanced with an underlying bitterness that dries it in the finish.

I'm not sure why it's named "clear", as Sleeman has used clear bottles before. The clear glass, however, definitely contributes to the skunkiness of the beer. Whether that's good or bad I can't say. It's technically a defect, but some drinkers prefer it and mistakenly believe it has a "European" flavor and aroma. Maybe that's what they were going for.

1.39/5  rDev -21%

Sleeman's Clear is the first Canadian entry in what I understand to be a big market is the U.S.: low-carb beers.

Sleemans is low-cal, low-alcohol, low-carb (2.5g) and barely tastes like beer.

When my wife brought it home, I honestly expected it to be clear in colour. It's not -- it's a very light yellow -- but the resemblance to beer ends there. It tastes like Bud watered down, it's not very fizzy, and it's expensive.

I think I'll stick to water on my off days.

1.57/5  rDev -10.8%

Super-clear liquid topped of with a collar that is only slightly reminiscent of beer. Liquid is pallid and looks like a very, very weak iced tea and water mix. Watery, grainy mess in the mouth, but nothing all that offensive. Just a tad less carbonated than seltzer. Awful.

1.28/5  rDev -27.3%

A straw colored cardboard- beer flavored soadie pop. Weak in color, taste or true beer character...this is a sodie pop swig fer the kiddies...leave it on the shelf and buy a light pisner if you're that carb obsessed...These kind of compromises for calories are rarely worth it.

1.28/5  rDev -27.3%

This is the closest thing i've ever had to carbonated water!

Extremely pale yellow colour. Plenty of carbonation. NO detectable aromoas, smells, tastes or nuances. NOTHING. Like i said, carbonated water.

If someone wanted low-carbs, why would you even bother with beer? It's like someone going to McDonald's and ordering something off of the "healthy choice" menu. If you really want to be healthy, don't go to McDonald's. Well, if you're really THAT concerned about carbs, DON'T DRNK BEER!

2.33/5  rDev +32.4%

Geez, I feel like a bum giving this a decent review after all the poor ones below. Medium golden color, little carbonation, little flavor. Only minor hints of hops and corn can be detected, and it pours out to a nearly flat head. I am a huge fan of Sleeman Cream Ale, so i can't slam this brew all that much. I don't think it's all that bad, but the price is way too high (8.00 a six pack). I would recommend it for those on the low carb diet, other wise get the Regular Cream Ale.

1.75/5  rDev -0.6%

Sleeman has made a admirable attempt to corner a round waist market. Unfortunately at 2.5 grams of carbs and only 90 some calories its only niche is the Atkins Diet crew. The only semblence of beer stops when you crack it open. Granted the colour is bearable, but carbs to beer is like sauce to ribs. One step above near beer, but only a baby step.

Bottle: Poured a light yellow beer with no head or aroma or even taste. I don’t really know what to say about this one that wasn’t said before. It’s not beer but more like water with some beer tasting products included. This is a trend that will last for a year before disappearing, which should be a good thing really.

1.33/5  rDev -24.4%

Well, it comes in a beer bottle, but that's about as close as it comes to being beer.

Utterly insipid stuff. Pale, barely coloured liquid. No head, no lace. Not much by way of smell either. Just the barest hint of hops.

Unpleasant to drink. Completely filtered to death, very watery, tasteless, chemical-like mouth feel.

I was at a bar where they were doing a promo and giving the stuff away. We had a half-dozen of these beers sitting untouched on the table.

Low carbs, low calories, low score. Who the hell said beer was for athletes anyways? Not recommended. Kind of a shame as Sleeman's usually does a better job.

1.4/5  rDev -20.5%

Sleeman has taken the Atkins diet craze by the horns with Sleeman Clear. It posesses just 4.5 carbs and targets the trendy diet with little accuracy.
When you first pour your Clear into your glass you will notice how absolutly clear it is. There is no false advertiing here. It's pale yellow colour is crystal clear with absolutly no head what so ever. There is light dose of carbonation. that gives it a bit of a ginger le look, only the carbonation is much lighter than the carbonation in your Schwepp's.
The aroma was completely lacking. I couldn't smell any malt, hops, or even adjuncts, for that matter. It was like smelling nothing at all. This leads us to the taste, which was the same as the smell. There was nothing but corbonated water with a touch of colour.
This is why the beer industry is looked down upon by so many people. The quality of beer is only going downhill in the world of the macro brewery. The chasing of a buck has lead to caving in to trends that really have little staying power.
This is why we, as BeerAdvocates, do what we do. To ensure the quality of better beer and to show the world why products such as Sleeman Clear are inferior.
Anyway, enough with my little rant.
Sleeman shows its true colours with a beer that is lacking any clour at all. It's uninspired and does not desrve the right to have 'Craft Brewery' on it's label. Please don't waste your money on ths beer. You will feel dirty when you are done.

It pours a clear limpid yellow NOT necessarily NOT alike toilet water after relieving one's bladder. Aroma is reminiscent of a prodigious baby skunk with obvious defense potential. The taste is another story though, it's a complex mixture from the most distinct and unattainable sources of waters from 8 specific islands hidden to humanity until John Sleeman had a dream which revealed him the tremendous potential of their sacred water. Stuff of legend. Welcome to the top 10!

2.22/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Low carb beer. Very different, Dry, little taste. A light sample of hops. Good for cooking, passable for drinking on a hot day instead of a soda. Very light color, almost water with a bit of foam and bubbles. Premium price - I guess if you have a serious weight problem or illness.

1.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Very clear pale gold colour with absolutely no head. Very fizzy when pouring. Sour aroma, very reminiscent of wine, a bit sulfury. Bland flavour, kind of like soda water, that finishes quite salty. Light bit of sweetness and DMS with no hop balance. Highly carbonated with a very light, watery body.

2.47/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this at the bar across from my house, it reminded me of my redneck hometown. Deciding I was in the mood for torturing myself I ordered a Sleeman Clear, and possibly the fact it wasn't as terrible as I have heard my torture was even more fulfilling. Pours a clear light golden, with a white head... I think... I barely got a chance to see it. Smell was a faint hops and cooked vegetables, with a touch of alcohol... Taste was a sweet front, with some hops creeping in half-heartly, not much of anything really. Mouthfeel was very thin, not as carbonated as I was expecting, but it was very watery. Again, not as horrible as I was expecting, but still... ick.

2.28/5  rDev +29.5%

Poured a light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was average retention and little lacing.

The smell featured a light adjunct corn with some subtle aroma hops.

The taste was upfront sweet cooked corn with some husky graininess.

The mouthfeel was on the thin side with an uncomfortable slickness.

Overall not a very good experience. Much better light macros to be had.

1.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Main highlight of the beer sadly is the appearance. Dull yellow with very poor head. The smell is almost non existant although picked up a hint of hops.

Taste, very light, very light body and very little detectable taste. Swished it around, tried to savor it, but nothing. It was like over carbonated rancid water. What made this beer more atrocious then other light beers is the after taste. Bitter and spicy, something that does not go good with water.

For it's price, this beer definatly isn't worth it. Even for light beer standards this is bad.

2.66/5  rDev +51.1%

Pours a very pale yellow with 2 inches of frothy, white head. Very lively carbonation present. The head disipates rapid, but not too rapid into a ring around the edges.

Smells like a typical macro. Maybe a little less strong.

Tastes like a beer flavoured Perrier. No aftertaste.

Actually quite smooth mouthfeel. Goes down pretty easy.

This beer would be passable if it just had a stronger taste. I only recommend this if you desperatly want to lose weight without cutting out beer, or it's slim pickings on a hot day. I'll give it a higher drinkability score because the mouthfeel is so damn smooth.

1.55/5  rDev -11.9%

Put simply, this beer is horrible. The best way, and likely the easiest way to describe it is to imagine a nasty lager; pour half of it out and replace what’s missing with a mineral water, like Perrier or San Pelegrino. Instantly you have what is called Sleeman Clear. Clearly disgusting. Avoid this swill.

1.94/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I will grant this beer its credit as being light and unoffensive. It is perhaps something for the ladies or a hot summer day. It has virtually NO taste or character whatsoever. To some, the casual or on occasion beer drinkers this may seem favourable, and granted, that's who this beer is intended for. I however found it to have no distinction or quality of anything close to what I could enjoy or appreciate in a good brew.

1.03/5  rDev -41.5%

I'm not quite sure what supernatural power persuaded me to buy a six pack of this stuff. That being said, here's what I have to say. It tasted like carbonated water with a pinch of beer in it. Feelt like soda going down. Made me feel bloated, and isn't it supposed to be "low carb"?
Bleh!!!

2.3/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

473 mL can from TBS; packaged June 14 2013. Now labelled as 'Sleeman Clear 2.0', although as far as I can tell nothing about the recipe seems to have changed from the earlier iteration. When considering all of the (formerly) Canadian macros, I generally place Sleeman a notch above the other two - but Sleeman Clear is a turd that has been floating in the punchbowl for at least 10 years now, and I can only assume that there is a very good reason for its score being so low. Served ice cold.

An aggressive pour reveals a pale straw yellow-coloured liquid, topped with one finger of fizzy white head that wastes no time while fizzling itself out of existence. Nothing remains on the surface; it basically looks like apple juice. The aroma is bland, but it manages to avoid outright unpleasantness by being so weak and limp that it's barely even noticeable in the first place. A faint wisp of corn husks, damp grains and apples are the only real descriptors I can manage. For a light lager, it's not that bad, I guess, but it leaves much to be desired.

Not much to report in the taste department either - not very grainy, but corn grist is a strong contributor, and that cardboard flavour I often find in cheap/light/ice beers is fairly noticeable. Dry finish that really reminds me of club soda, in that it has no discernible features whatsoever beyond being carbonated. Thin and very watery, with firm carbonation that provides this beer with a solid bite. It's easy enough to drink quickly, and I can't think of any compelling reasons to take your time with it.

Final Grade: 2.3, a to-be-avoided D grade. Sleeman may find that it will take more than a '2.0' slapped onto the label to convince those that were less-than-impressed with the 'alpha' version of Sleeman Clear that this purported upgrade is worth a try. Let's be frank - this is a brew that I have seen (exclusive) light beer drinkers turn their nose up at on several occasions. This is not a very good light beer, being even more watery and flavourless than old staples like Bud/Coors Light. If you hate the taste of beer but still want to drink it for some reason, Sleeman Clear is your brew; otherwise, stick with one of the more well known light macros. Hell, Sleeman Light is orders of magnitude better than this.

2.58/5  rDev +46.6%

The rating have failed me here. This is a big ass '0' beer, but that's not the way the rating will come out. The appearance was a light yellow gold color, clear, with a fizzy white head that dissapears quick. I gave it a 2.5, there's nothing really offensive or wrong about it, but nothing good either. The smell? There was none. But again, not offensive, just not... there. a 2.0. The taste, same thing. There was none. I really felt I was drinking seltzer. If anything I felt I had fresher breath after drinking this. I gave it a 2.0 because I wasn't impressed, but was it aweful? No. Totally non-offensive. The mouthfeel was fine, some good tight carbonation, and this was immensely drinkable. Really no problem whatsoever, so I gave it a 4.0. I'm not sure where this is going to come out to as a beer, I've had worse, more offensive beers than this, but this was so utterly non-anything, that it is in my opinion undeserving of review or drinking.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Sleeman Clear from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.
Beer rating: 56 out of 100 with 87 ratings