Sleeman Honey Brown Lager | Sleeman Breweries Ltd.

awful
Read the review
Sleeman Honey Brown LagerSleeman Honey Brown Lager

Sleeman Breweries Ltd.
Ontario, Canada
sleeman.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Smooth Sleeman Honey Brown Lager is brewed in the tradition of cottage breweries at the turn of the century. Some might think the tradition is outdated; we just think we got it right the first time.

Added by canadianbarman on 08-22-2001

4.5/5  rDev +50.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Clear glass bottle

Nice, deep brown color

Sweet malty aroma

Definitely on the sweeter side but not necessarily a bad thing. Malt aftertaste

4.5/5  rDev +50.5%

4.46/5  rDev +49.2%

I love this beer. I dont understand why it gets such a low mark here on BA. It has a very good tast goes down easy and could drink them all night long. Best served ice cold with a bit of slush.

smell: subtle, sweet, honey, faint hops.

look: golden amber, ok head that will go away after a minute

mouth feel: cold, wet, well carbonated.

taste: refreshing, honey, brown sugar, slight hops, good after taste

over all: simply awesome, doesn't taste like lager (better). I usually drink micro brewery beers, but this one is fine by me and my wife. This is a must try if your in Canada.

4.28/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +42.1%

4.02/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This poured a clear, dark amber colour finishing with a nice foamy two-finger head which lasted throughout with fairly good lacing. The aroma is mostly that of honey and grainy malts. This is a sweet beer with a faint hint of hop bitterness and a medium level of body.

3.93/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.93/5  rDev +31.4%

3.92/5  rDev +31.1%

Color is brownish golden yellow, some big bubbles for the head that fizz out fast. Smells of strong sweet honey and malts. Taste echoes the smell. Smooth with a honey hop tangyness thats a little rough at first and ends with a nice malt coating. Quite drinkable and flavored honey lager, better then most I've had. Has more solid body where as most others are kinda watery.

3.88/5  rDev +29.8%

Appearance: light brown, fine cream coloured head

Smell: nondescript. Weird. Fizzy? A little honey.

Taste: the honey and caramel really come out in the flavour, over top of pale malt. Sweet without being candyish.

Mouthfeel: thin without being too watery. Refreshing but flavourful.

Overall: easy-drinking but more interesting than most budget beers.

Yeah, I love it. When I was younger the first beer I drank was probably Coors, and I was not impressed. SHB was the first beer I had that I thought was actually interesting, and I still have a soft spot for it. It's not boring but it's not pretentious either.

3.83/5  rDev +28.1%

Appearance - Clear bottle, which is always a welcome change, even if it can potentially harm the beer. Dark Amber Color that is very clear, I can see my fingerprints on the other side of the glass. White frothy head, but dissipates quickly. Leaves no lacing behind, but seems to leave small dots of honey on the inside of the glass.

Smell - Sweet caramel smell with a bit of underlying honey and malt. Sadly not quite as pronounced as I'd like it to be, which is really a shame.

Taste - Sweet as expected, and unsurprisingly similar to the smell, although honey taste is a bit more pronounced. Finishes off with a slight, subtle spice taste at the end. If it had a little more kick, while avoiding more of an aftertaste, it'd be perfect.

Mouthfeel - Needs a little bit more carbonation and leaves something of a sweet toffee like aftertaste, although there is something a little bit off that I can't describe. Thankfully it is quite subdued and refreshing.

Drinkability - Medium bodied, not particularly heavy, but not so light I'd be inclined to guzzle it. This beer is great with a meal, or as a after dinner treat, or to have one or two with the boys, but as an all night option, I'd be hesitant.

Final Thoughts - Seriously, I just wish I could concentrate this beer slightly more. If the scent was a bit stronger, and the flavor more pronounced it would certainly get a better rating. That being said, I'd gladly pick up more of this stuff or order it at a restaurant with my meal.

3.8/5  rDev +27.1%

Very suprised to see this beer on the shelves of a cheap, cut price store in Shropshire. No other Canadian beers to be seen.

This was a brown 341ml bottle and I poured it into a stemmed Corsendonk tulip glass.

Deep golden/amber colour, good white head. Looked like a Dort, except the head soon began to leave.

The aroma was sweet, toffee and honey mix, not overpowering, but there for all to smell.

Very pleasant drink, a little sweet for some maybe, but I liked it.

Overal I thought this OK, honey beers are becoming more common and this one was better than a few I've had the misfortune to try. I will have a few more if there are any left when I revisit the shop.

3.77/5  rDev +26.1%

Although I really enjoy all of the beers that Sleeman produces, this one really stands out from the pack.

A- A very nice, honey like reddish-brown hue. Quite enticing to say the least. It poured with a 1/2 finger head that dissipated fairly quick. Minimal lacing on the glass.

S- The smell of this lager is very dark in nature. A little bit of roastiness with some bread notes mixed in.

T- Despite the fact that the bottle is completely clear, there is no skunky notes to be found here. The taste is bar none the best, most sessionable beer that Sleeman makes. It displays some beautiful brown sugar notes with a slight hop characteristic that makes it that much better. If you aren't into sweeter beers, I would shy away.

M- Very smooth beer with excellent carbonation. You know its good stuff when it doesn't feel like a soft drink in your mouth : P

O- If you seek a very well rounded session beer that pleases the palate, don't hesitate; pick this one up and chances are you won't be disappointed.

3.77/5  rDev +26.1%

I'm not sure I agree with the very low scores. I had this beer on tap in Montreal and enjoyed it very much.

Brown, amber hue. Nice head, not very creamy, and not very good retention. Smelled of faint nuts and spices, and maybe a dash of honey. Great nutty taste and the sweetened malts were very good. I don't think I got an "artificial" sweetness out of it like many have claimed.

Pretty light-tasting beer. Not very complex like a brown ale or usual dark lager, but I think the honey effect is present and noticeable. Overall, a good beer. If I saw it on a menu, I'd definitely have another.

3.75/5  rDev +25.4%

Sleeman Honey Brown Lager from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.