Sleeman Silver Creek Lager | Sleeman Breweries Ltd.

poor
Sleeman Silver Creek LagerSleeman Silver Creek Lager

Sleeman Breweries Ltd.
Ontario, Canada
sleeman.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Sleeman Silver Creek Lager is brewed in our copper kettles for a traditional pilsner style. We gave it extra body to ensure you would enjoy extra smoothness.

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 11-30-2002

2.6
20%

2.87/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.39/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

2.48/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Regardless of the name on the label, virtually all of Sleeman's core brands look the same. Silver Creek Lager is no different: light yellow in colour, with an antiseptically clean complexion, and bubbles so plentiful yet entirely ineffective that they must be artificial (they can't sustain a proper head).

There's a certain characteristic that from day one I've noted in all Sleeman products; it's especially prominent in the aroma. It's been many years since I've last had an offering of theirs but I still feel confident I could pick them out in a lineup with other mass-produced domestic brand lagers.

Now I realize it must be the brand of corn syrup they use. This sweet, stenchy, skunky note has an industrial ring to it, a synthetic flavour that is markedly different from the wholesome, toasty graininess of actual malted barley. This taste is more like canned corn kernels and is unpleasant, even off-putting.

The one thing I hear in defense of large commercial breweries is that they're consistent; like McDonalds, their beer taste the same everywhere. You always know what you're getting. To replicate a fermented product like beer to the same standards time and time again on a massive scale isn't easy. This is true.

But who wants to make shitty beer? And who wants to drink shitty beer? I tasted my first Silver Creek Lager over a decade ago and it was just as insipid then as it is now. That's an impressive feat but not one I think worthy of commending. Consistency is a good attribute - quality is a better one.

The folks at Sleeman aren't dummies. They've left this recipe the same for good reason: it sells. This lager may be an injustice to the Czech and German ones that originally inspired it but, sorry to say, its bland, sweet, light-bodied and firmly carbonated qualities are exactly what most consumers look for.

2.68/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Golden, light, active carbonation. White head.
S: Apple, skunk, corn. Mild.
T: Apple, mild bread, corny. Mild sweetness, pleasant bitterness.
F: Crisp and bright, but just slightly over carbonated.
O: Inoffensive but unremarkable. I wouldn't avoid it, but I wouldn't seek it out either.

2.56/5  rDev -1.5%

A - Pale straw colour. Good deal of carbonation. Head fades quickly with no real lacing.

S - A slight skunky smell at the beginning, with an apple scent as well. Almost has a cider-like sweet smell, but not in an appealing sense when I'm about to drink a lager.

T - More of the apple like smell, but the taste is fortunately not as sweet. Slightly bitter aftertaste, though no real hop presence. A bit of a musty taste at the very end as well.

F - Carbonation is appropriate for the style. Fairly crisp and refreshing.

O - Overall slightly unimpressed with this one, not that I had overly high expectations. I think I can say this is my least favourite Sleeman product, and I'm not typically a big fan of the company either. I haven't had the Light or the Original Draught in a while, but from what I remember I enjoyed them both slightly more. However, it is still a serviceable lager that could be consumed in large amounts, and the unappealing factors would likely diminish after the first 2 or 3.

2.88/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Flashback #309

2.94/5  rDev +13.1%

2.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.57/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.58/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.26/5  rDev -13.1%

3.18/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sleeman Silver Creek

The look of it: Golden Color, lots of carbonation

The smell: Remind me of the Cream Ale smell. Very corny smell.

The taste: Like the smell, remind me a lot of the Sleeman Cream Ale. Corny, very carbonated. Really enjoy it. Maybe one of my favorite sleeman

So overeall would I recommend ? For sure ! One of the best Sleeman

2.31/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.25/5  rDev -13.5%

1.75/5  rDev -32.7%

1.5/5  rDev -42.3%

Sleeman Silver Creek Lager from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.