Sleeman Original Draught | Sleeman Breweries Ltd.

poor
Sleeman Original DraughtSleeman Original Draught

Sleeman Breweries Ltd.
Ontario, Canada
sleeman.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Original Draught combines Sleeman's premium brewing heritage with the freshness and sociability of traditional draught beer. This unpasteurized lager goes down well in the company of friends.

Added by bmacaskill on 05-02-2005

2.76/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.57/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Sleeman Original Draft has a thick, white head, a clear, bubbly, golden appearance, and minimal lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, yeasty malt, with a touch of honey. Taste is of sweet malt, white bread crust, a touch of honey, and a slightly bitter finish. Mouthfee is light to medium, and Sleeman Original Draft finishes crisp and easy going.

RJT

Allow me wax poetic about the golden drink of the gods that is Sleeman's Original Draught. Though never released from the confines of it's aluminum prison, it was clear that Midas himself had bestowed his touch upon each and every ounce of this Canadian jewel. Had I freed the precious liquid and allowed it to grace a vessel (though none short of the Holy Grail would seem fit), I'm sure it would not be out of place in museums across the globe. Cascades of flavor bombarded me upon first smell, and I was transported to a higher level of being, a clearness of conscience and mind previously unobtainable by gurus and holy men alike. When I took a sip...I left my body. I was watching from above, so great was the ecstasy that my mortal self would have surely shattered had my mind not exited to relieve the strain. Each subsequent sip only magnified the pleasure, and I was sure I was sucking on the marrow of the earth itself, the universe brewed and then stored in cylindrical bone. To say that Sleeman is a transcendent experience would fall short of the truth, and do injustice to what could only be expressed as the single greatest moment that has existed since the dawn of time. Highly recommended.

2.35/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

3.35/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 341ml bottle into a goblet glass.

L: Pours a clear golden colour with a tiny white head which is gone within 15 seconds. Meh.

S: Corn dominates along with a pleasant malty sweetness. There's a staleness to it though which is typical of macro lagers.

T: Sweet corn, bready malt and some honey. Don't taste any hops at all.

F: Light body with high carbonation. No surprises here.

O: Drinking it from a glass doesn't do it any favours, but this is more of a drink-it-from-the bottle beer and for that purpose it does the trick for me. When I'm at The Beer Store I either get this or Moosehead, whichever is a better deal at the time. Certainly worth the slight price increase compared to other domestics like Canadian, Budweiser or Coors Light.

2.65/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.55/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

2.55/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

3.17/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.89/5  rDev +2.8%

3.47/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.49/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Boring, nothing unique to it.

3.14/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.59/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - This beer pours a clear gold color with 2 fingers of white head that fade leaving absolutely nouthing,

Aroma - as much as I hate too admit it skunk takes over followed by honey, lager freshness, some light hops.

Taste -Honey, pale malts, lager spring water taste, some light floraly hops.

Feel - Light feel, almost like water. slightly pricky carbonation.

overall - This is a decent AAL, It would be better if it didn't have skunk flavor to it, I kinda wish they put it in a clear bottle. Oh well.

2.04/5  rDev -27.4%

Bright pale straw color with moderate activity. Slightly foamy white 2 finger head, lasting around 5 minutes, with faint legs. Flavors of corn, wet cardboard, sweet grains, faint caramel and herbal spices. Tons of sugar and low bitterness. Slick full body with extra prickly carbonation. Light finish, a little bready, short lingering corn and adjunct caramel sweetness. Flat and bland. Overly syrupy and feels adjunct. Badly flavored. Overall a crappy craft.

2.87/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It's kind of a funny story how I came to have three of these in my possession. I was at a party, and I had to leave my bag at somebodies house as my friends and I were going to hit up a bar. I had almost a full mickie of vodka in my bag, which was stolen at some point during the night. I'm guessing whoever took the vodka felt bad, and left three of these in my bag to replace it. Not really an even trade if you ask me! None the less, I figured I might as well review one of them.

Appearance: Dark gold, almost amber like colour. I decided to pour it aggressively as I'm drinking it out of a pint glass, and even then I only got about a quarter finger of head. Looks like fizzy apple juice. Obviously no lacing on the glass.

Smell: I'm getting a touch of sweetness on the front end. Mild floral hops on the back end. Slightly malty as well. Largely devoid of the graininess that is usually found in macro lagers, which is nice.

taste: Touch of sweetness. Very mild hop character. Slightly metallic. Sours a bit as it warms. Corn makes the expected appearance as well. Nothing too offensive about it.

Feel: very very light. High carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

Overall: Meh, Its okay. I'd say the 68 BA score is accurate. Better than a lot of other North American lagers out there, and easy to drink. Nothing else to say really.

3.4/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Favourite Sleeman offering

3.66/5  rDev +30.2%

3.43/5  rDev +22.1%

2.49/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.69/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.17/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had a 22oz draft pour in Ontario that was almost clear golden like a watered down American Lager, except higher alcohol. Not very well balanced and the finish left something to be desired. It went well with 5 alarm spicy food but that might be the watered down carbonation.

Sleeman Original Draught from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.