Sleeman Original Draught | Sleeman Breweries Ltd.

poor
Sleeman Original DraughtSleeman Original Draught

Sleeman Breweries Ltd.
Ontario, Canada
sleeman.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Original Draught combines Sleeman's premium brewing heritage with the freshness and sociability of traditional draught beer. This unpasteurized lager goes down well in the company of friends.

Added by bmacaskill on 05-02-2005

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

3.08/5  rDev +9.6%

Before I branched out into the microbrew scene, this one a beer that I had considered "exotic". My, how times - and opinions - have changed.

That said, as a more mainstream lager, I can enjoy it - you just know what you're getting into. It's clean, it's crisp, it goes down well, it just doesn't have much in the way of extra deliciousness that really sets it apart from the others in the pack.

I've had it over the years and have never been disappointed; this was my beer on tap of choice on St. Patrick's Day when they added the green dye. At least it really looked pretty!

Not bad by any stretch, but if you're looking for something interesting, move along past this one.

2.5/5  rDev -11%

2.5/5  rDev -11%

2.85/5  rDev +1.4%

473mL can poured into a glass

This has always been one of my favourite domestic brews. I've never really figured out why though. Let's see what we can do...

Pours a clear dark golden hue. The head fades quickly but it left a goofy-looking dotted pattern in my glass.

Very faint aroma of grains and malt.

Taste follows the nose with absolutely no aftertaste. Some corn is present. Has a roasted quality that most other Canadian lagers sorely lack. Highly chuggable and rather tasty for a domestic.

Moderate, agreeable carbonation. Goes down like water.

Overall, drinkable and yummy. CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

1.91/5  rDev -32%

I remember enjoying a Sleeman's Original Draught quite a while ago... Now, I can't quite remember why.

A: It looks half decent for a lager, I'll give it that. It's a nice, very slightly amber tinted yellow, a tad darker than your average macro lager (and quite a bit darker than say, a Coors or a Bud). A finger of head, barely any retention, no lacing.

S: Very light on the scent.. an average adjunct lager smell, although more subdued than most.

T: Almost non-existent! No hops, no malts, slightly chemical. Absolutely no finish. Suspiciously watery for a non-light lager..

M: Light carbonation, extremely thin and watery.

I swear, there's more flavour in my tap water. I can say without a doubt that this is the most boring macro lager I think I've ever had. This is so flavourless, so watery and so thin that I think I'd be terrified to see what Sleeman Light or Clear is all about.
However, this is a fantastic beer if you're planning on getting tuned, drinking a bunch and perhaps showing some friends how you down a pint 3 seconds flat (don't worry, there's nothing worth savoring anyways).

Did they change this beer?? I haven't drank it in quite a while, but I remember it being sweeter and more robust, it also used to be more expensive... hmm.
In any case, if you're in the mood for a cheap mass-produced brew, drink a Canadian... even a Coors Light trumps this.

3.05/5  rDev +8.5%

straight from the clear bottle

small white head foam

low carbonation

clear body

smell classic blond brew, nothing special

taste is the one of a blond beer. medium /small body. classic blond, refreshing and easy to drink.

mouthfeel»»: fine carbonation, and smooth texture

enjoy this one without guilt. une blonde classic

2.61/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - clear golden, finger of white head held at a thin covering
S - mostly corny adjunct, light grassiness, some wheat
T - very faint hops and pale malt, adjunct, a fairly standard mass produced down the throat type taste
M - light with good carbonation, fairly thin with some dryness
O - its a run of the mill pour it down your throat as fast as you can american lager, not a lot going on

This was another of a bunch of unremarkable beers I had on a recent visit to Toronto. Not too much to say about it. It's pale in color, not much in the way of aroma. Flavor is not bad but not great either. There are other fizzy yellow beers I'd have instead of this one but I guess I'm glad I tried it.

2.66/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: It has a nice clear golden/yellow colour to it. It has a nice white head that dies down quite fast and has some lacing.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of corn, bready grains and not much else.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a bready/grainy malt taste to it with corn and a slight hop presence. Typical macro taste.

Mouthfeel: It has an average carbonation with a watery and thin feel to it.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with bland flavours and aromas.

2.97/5  rDev +5.7%

A - poured a fluffy white head - clear golden colour, little retention or lacing

S- grassy, malt, metallic

T - grassy, malt, corn, grainy, a little metallic bitter after taste

M - light body,plenty of carbonation, a little dry, bit definitely refreshing

O - drinkable but nothing special to report here

2.85/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Pours a clear golden with two fingers worth of bubbly white head. The head is gone within 2 minutes. It didn’t leave any lacing either.

S: Typical macro grains and adjuncts. Nothing out of the ordinary.

T: Pretty light on the taste. It actually tastes better then most macro’s but that might just be because it’s pretty light.

M: Light carbonation with a light body.

O: Average beer. It’s better then most macro’s but you can still find better as well.

2.71/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I must admit this is one of those beers whose popularity among the general public I never really understood. Many of my friends swore by it in college. Even before I started regularly trying styles of beer besides adjunct lagers, I always thought it was indistinguishable from most macros, excepting the clear bottles and higher price. It has been about 6 years since I last had this, and I'm still not willing to spend the money on a six-pack to review it, but a tallboy can should do the trick.

Translucent gold colour and lots of bubbles, looks a little darker than your average macro lager. A puffy white head looks promising at first, but ultimately disappoints and fades to virtually nothing before a minute is up. Smell is decent; sweetgrass, grains and corniness.

I can't taste anything at first because the carbonation is too distracting, but afterwards the taste of corn syrup begins to rear its head. It could be barley malt, but whatever malt it is, it has a corny feel to it. There is a slight floral quality, and a combination of adjunct and hops in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light, and carbonation is high.

This isn't a drainpour, but it's not something I intend to purchase again. If I am going to drink beer that has corny adjunct flavors, I would rather spend half as much and get some Brewhouse or Lakeport, which are only marginally less-refined. Maybe I'm biased - I've never really liked the flavor of candy corn. It's a truly vile candy, and this beer emulates its flavour suspiciously well, for a style that claims to use no adjunct.

[Updated Jan. 16 2014]

I picked up another can of this for some reason, and consumed it fresh out of the fridge at a very cold temperature. Sleeman Original Draught actually isn't too bad when served in such a manner, but that's mostly because the coldness numbs your taste buds, masking some of the cardboard and corniness. My father enjoys this beer so I've had it plenty of times in the past, but I just really don't like the stuff all that much. I'd take most of the major Canadian macro lagers over this stuff, but I'll amend my earlier statement and say it's still preferable to most of the cheaper, 'value brand' lagers.

Final Grade: 2.71, a C-.

3.43/5  rDev +22.1%

Bottle from the brewery.

Served from the fridge into a Stella glass.

A: A light honey kissed straw color with a foamy white head. Head dissipates quickly after the first sip and leaves a little bit of clingy lacing.

S: Very neutral scent. Slight hops, and some bread. Not bad at all.

T: A little fuller than the average macro but only slightly. Nicely balanced and no off flavors. Im sure if I let this warm a bit however some of the adjunct properties may come into play.

M: light but not too watery. carbonation is quite high, but I suppose that is to style. lots of burps!

Overall: Could be the best Sleeman offering. Not a bad lager, but not a standout.

3.14/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A- This is darker than an adjunct laden lager....more of a nice clear golden color. There is lots of ginger ale like bubbles rising to the top...some slow, some quick. The head is very disappointing, starting out about an inch thick and a solid white shade, but it was noisy and literally fizzled out within 10-15 seconds...it doesn't leave much in it's place either. Lacing is virtually non existent as well. Not a very good looking beer anyways....

S- The aroma is pretty much what Sleeman says it is....just a mild version of it. It does have some floral aroma to it and the hop bitterness is present. Beyond this though, there is some malt richness and nothing else of note....maybe a little bit of dry prairie grass or something.

T- A general sweet profile...richer than a lager using corn or something. The hops are mildly detectable on the finish and there is a slightly syrupy aftertaste. Overall, an un-amusing flavor but it definitely isn't offensive...probably better than a lot of standard lagers out there.

M- Crisp carbonation gives this medium bodied lager some character in this department. Not much else to say here....nothing special but again, nothing that bothers me.

D- I'm gonna say that for the premium price that Sleeman usually gets, I don't think it's worth any more than the next macro...however it is super easy to down several of these!. That said, it's an average beer for the most part that's going to do the job...maybe just a slight notch above the norm. I'd drink this again if available on tap or if offered but probably won't go looking for it. Oh well!

2.83/5  rDev +0.7%

Sleeman Draught is slightly more golden than your average industrial lager. Otherwise, however, it's pretty standard fare: flush highlights, made possible in part by a heavily sanitizing filtration process, and visibly carbonated due to the tonic water-like bubbling. It's only pratfall is the total lack of head: flat-surfaced lager is much less enticing.

The aroma seems slightly light-struck but possesses a distant, curiously appealing sweetness that almost loosely resembles cotton candy. Every time I've had this beer I remark the same thing. For all I know it's corn syrup, but I find it oddly agreeable (at least in contrast to the rough and cloying, corn-y adjunct notes that round out the profile).

I remember Sleeman Draught being much more approachable when consumed directly from the bottle or can and not, as I have done this time, poured into a glass and allowed substantial time to un-chill. This flavour is not only thin, but also quite cloying and borderline unpalatable. It tastes like cereal grains that have been marinated in corn syrup.

The cotton candy sweetness mentioned earlier is much less prominent in the mouthfeel than I remember. And the corn syrup sweetness - which is most unfavorable - seems amplified. It might be that my palate has changed over the years. Or it could be that Sleeman's has diluted the recipe down even further. Either way, this ain't cutting it for me anymore.

Just as I find it puzzling, contradictory and downright stupid to name and market a bottled beer as 'draught' so too am I stupefied that this product actually meets some peoples' standards when it comes to a refreshing, gratifying lager. To my tastes this is anything but. Then again, emasculated, adulterated, insipid, mass-market lagers aren't my thing.

2.63/5  rDev -6.4%

473ml can poured into a pint glass.
ABV 5%

A - Poured a clear gold with a 2cm bubbly white head. Head was all gone in under a minute. No lacing.

S - Very light bread aroma with a hint of grass.

T - Light sweetness followed by water with a hint of bitterness in the finish.

M - Average and plain.

D - Drinkable but quite bland.

Sleeman Original Draught from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.