Sleeman Cream Ale (64*) | Sleeman Breweries Ltd.

poor
Read the review
Sleeman Cream Ale (64*)Sleeman Cream Ale (64*)

Sleeman Breweries Ltd.
Ontario, Canada | website

Style: Cream Ale

Created by George Sleeman in the late 1800s, Sleeman Cream Ale was the first brand produced by the two Guelph breweries, and still remains our most recognized brand.

Added by John on 10-26-2001

Reviews: 130 | Ratings: 198
2.83/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours a five finger white head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Crystal clear amber color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Grassy nose. Flavor is almost sweet, grass, hay some hops. Boring. $1.45 for a 340ml bottle from John's Marketplace Portland, OR.

1.2/5  rDev -57.7%

Crystal clear in appearance, perhaps from filtering and pasteurizing. Seriously, Indistinguishable from MGD except that its a little more orange, but head retention is the same, non-existent. The lacing is decent enough, but still white and foamy, not great for the style. Very unimpressed.

Smells like a weak glass of white wine, perhaps a white zinfandel. I'm not trying to be mean to this brew, but that's really all I get. No hops, though I suppose the very light fruitiness is from them, but you wouldn't know them from white wine so...Also I may, it's really hard to tell, get a hint of some European hops, though they would have to be a lot lighter than Saaz. Also not impressed, hardly recognizable as beer.

A little sweet, like apple juice. Not even cider for this one, the taste is non-existent. Once again, I feel bad saying all this, but I'm just telling it like it is.

Mouthfeel is dry and mildly bitter and mildly sweet. I really want to stress mild here. Seriously, like a weak white wine, almost exactly. At least it feels like something.

I find no redeeming qualities in this beer. It's a light beer, a light beer that costs $10 a six pack. I know I'm sounding like a broken record with this one, but I would rather have an MGD, which I consider having superior carbonation and at least tastes and smells like a weak pilsner, not a glass of white wine. I won't spill it out, oh no, since I could use it to wash dishes, water the plants, or at the very least its like 5% abv water, which almost sounds like fun...almost.

2.97/5  rDev +4.6%

A light golden yellow brew. The looks of this beer are easy to forget.

Smell was light and grainy. So far I'm not seeing much difference between this and the big name breweries.

Taste was similar, grainy and... wait a minute... creamy? I thought it was just the name. It was interesting though. Something to make you think a bit at least.

The feel didn't seem to match the taste well, though I have no complaints.

2.23/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a very light yellow, with a thick head. Smell was light, but had a distinct "dustiness" to it, rather unflattering. Taste was completely unremarkable. Nothing there, really. Left a slight coat in my mouth. I felt there really wasn't anything exciting about it at all. Not terrible, just boring.

1.83/5  rDev -35.6%

Second beer from a Sleeman sample pack. 330ml bottle poured into a pint glass. Pale clear straw color with a fizzy and puny white head that holds in exactly the way the Miami Dolphins defense doesn't. A little bit of fairly sticky lacing, but that's the sole redeeming quality of the appearance of this beer.

Aroma is adjunct-laden and just a hint of musky hoppiness.

The flavor is sweet rice and just a tiny hint of pale roasted malts. A bit of skunkiness. All in all, bad.

The mouthfeel finishes in sort of the same way as a cream soda, which is sort of expected. But it's thin, watery, and bubbly. I think this is the beer Stone had in mind for its "Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies" slogan. Do yourself a favor and skip this one.

2.72/5  rDev -4.2%

341ml. clear bottle

A: wheat blond colour dark for a blond ale, chimical white head
S: skunky nose probably due to the clear bottle, no malt
T: thin mouth with a little malt.
D: this product is a deception 'cause it's the flag bearer of Sleeman Brewery

2.71/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Chimay Chalice. This is a really interesting beer. Not that WOW interesting but that where is everything, interesting. There is barley an aroma...just a bit of sweetness. Taste is almost nonexistent. Honestly the most memorable thing is the carbonation. Quite a bit of it. It kind of tasted like a toned down version of beer mixed with alka seltzer.

2.85/5  rDev +0.4%

Wasn't impressed with this beer. Not too good of smell to it. Nothing strong, just a regular beer. The taste wasn't stong to it and was slightly bitter. I think it was a couple months past it's prime. I wasn't impressed and the people I drank with weren't impressed either. Average to subaverage beer.

3.01/5  rDev +6%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a sturdy head that shards the pint glass with lace

Smell: Husky with undertones of corn

Taste: Starts out crisp and clean and ends that way, too, with a touch of husky bitterness at the very end

Mouthfeel: Light body with effervescent carbonation

Drinkability: If you want a beer without much taste then this one is for you, but then again, I don't expect much flavor out of a cream ale

Purchased from beergeek.biz

2.41/5  rDev -15.1%

Hmm... I'm perplexed. There's not much to say about this one. After three pours, I'm still not getting it.

Pours a clear golden yellow, a bit on the orangey side. Aroma... a very light scent of apple, maybe pear? I barely smell anything, and I'm swirling this thing into a vortex. Taste... very light. Reminds me of a lightly-flavored cider, like Ace Pear. There's almost no taste.

What keeps me from passing it off on my BMC-drinking friends is the body and silkiness. There's just something to it that makes me keep drinking it.

Overall, it's better than the BMC gray water. It's a good thirst-quencher.

2.58/5  rDev -9.2%

Sleeman Cream Ale (64*) pours a light orange color with a thick white head from a brown 11.5 ounce bottle. The aroma is grainy and has that green apple type smell which is quite prominent. The flavor also has that same green apple thing. It's quite grainy, with a little touch of bitterness toward the end.

2.98/5  rDev +4.9%

Serving Type: 12 oz bottle

Appearance: Poured a golden yellow w/ a 2 finger head. Lovely lacing the whole time drinking

Smell: A bit grainy...a touch of corn. Average

Taste: Crisp, a touch grainy and a touch of corn.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation, a little to thin

Drinkability: Worth a try...it's a lot like a light lager. Not bad

2.83/5  rDev -0.4%

Mine just ses Cream Ale in a clear bottle the 64* is in a dark bottle,what the difference is ...i dunno...but it pours a hazy cloudy yellow with a 1 finger white head and very little lacing.

Smell is kinda musty, grainy and flat,no freshness to it

Taste is also flat with high carbonation and bitterness to it,goes down quite well though,better cold than what the temp. they reccomend.

Mouthfeel is heavy and light creamy at the same time
Overall, ..well... i guess ice cold it's not to bad,probably one of the better Sleeman's....it's worth a try.

3.03/5  rDev +6.7%

Sleeman Cream Ale pours a big stiff head over a clear yellow brew.
Carbonation is pretty slow, the nose is lager yeast and a bit of corn.
The flavor is crisp malt with herbal malt, with a more grassy hop finish.
Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but crisp and dry. It's interesting how the palate
changes with a little experience. Sleeman's Cream Ale was sort of a
gateway beer for me a few years back, and back then it was awesome.
Now it's merely okay. But it's a big world out there.

2.68/5  rDev -5.6%

This beer was not good. Every time I cross the border I try and pick up a taster, just out of curiosity. I should quit, cause they've been nearly overwhelmingly bad. This is a light yellow beer with a finger of white head that dissolves really fast. Nose is weak, mostly grain and some sweet malt. Flavor is honey, malt, and candy. There's nearly no hop character. Body is thin. I guess this one's alright for a thin, quickly pound-able beer, but for something to taste, look elsewhere.

2.3/5  rDev -19%

I have to confess that my arm was twisted when I drank this ale. I was offered a choice between Heineken, Molson and Sleeman. Sleeman sounded like the best choice at the time but after drinking it I think I should have chosen Molson? It poured in a golden yellow colour with lots of creamy foam, and smelling sour mixed with crackers, peaches and some lemon. So far, so good. But the taste had a weird syrupy sweetness that did not mix well with the strong bread note. On top of that I found it to be watery. It's not an ale that I can recommend.

2.97/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Poured out a golden yellow color with a bubbly, white, one-finger head. There was no lace and very little carbonation.

S - It smelled of grains and sweet malt.

T - It tasted of malt and was bittersweet. There was a very minimal amount of hop spice.

M - It was crisp and sharp on the tongue. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - This isn't bad. It seems to be fairly standard for the style.

2.58/5  rDev -9.2%

The color is a light and clear straw yellow, like a typical light lager. The only thing that remotely impresses me is some limited foamy head. Otherwise, very light and quite weak.

There is almost no smell, other than the light and lagery corn smell that we all should abhor so much. Some flowery stuff is there, but only on a *deep* inhale.

Very mild and unassuming lagery flavor. It's just a tiny bit flowery sweet, but very minor. Definite adjunct stuff going on here. Not great.

Feel is watery and yet a bit creamy and bubbly in the background. Overall, it's just dully. Really bland and watery. Nearly flavorless. Very little distinguishes it from the most mediocre of American macros.

3.51/5  rDev +23.6%

"Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four?"

--The Beatles

Crystalline amber with multiple bubble streams feeding an attractive crown of cream colored foam that sports a sticky, large-bubbled upper surface. Given that, it's no surprise that there's a healthy amount of sticky, bubbly lace. I certainly can't complain about the way this cream ale looks.

I can, however, complain about the way it smells. If blinded, I would have said 'macro lager' nine times out of ten. Make that ten times out of ten. The beer is grain-like with a moderately musky hoppiness that doesn't belong. I wonder if it'll taste more style accurate than it smells.

While things are better on the palate, I'm still not doing handstands. However, I have to say that 64* is one of Sleeman's best; at least of the small handful of their offerings that I've had so far. I'm still reminded of a robust macro lager (a macro ale maybe) more than a true cream ale. See Anderson Valley's excellent Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema for what I think a cream ale should taste like.

Lightly sweetened grain is the focal point. Actually, as it warms, I'm beginning to feel pretty good about Sleeman Cream Ale. If the thought of a sweetish, maltier than usual, hoppier than usual Pabst Blue Ribbon is your idea of a good time, give this one a whirl. A decent tongue smack of German hops (a guess) is what pulls this beer out of the realm of the strictly ordinary.

The mouthfeel gets the job done with ease. It's medium in heft for the style and is semi-firm rather than semi-creamy. In that respect, it matches the flavor profile very well. A decent amount of carbonation keeps things moving smartly along.

To be honest, I didn't expect much from Sleeman Cream Ale (64*). I can hardly be blamed, though, since these guys have burned me in the past. The brewery's website states that the intention was 'to combine the refreshing taste of a German lager with the distinctive taste of an English ale...'. Mission accomplished. This is a surprisingly worthy warm weather beer.

2.5/5  rDev -12%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The first time I tried this beer, it was the only beer in the house. It wasn't that great. The second time I tried this beer, it still wasn't that great. The company's flagship brand and liked by many of my friends, just not my glass of brew. I have to admit, the clear bottle is a very nice touch.

The beer pours a light yellow colour (so the bottle isn't hiding anything) with a minimal head. The aroma is thick and hoppy, maybe too hoppy. This beer has way too much carbonation and is harsh on the cheeks. The taste is a mishmash of varying degrees..slightly malty, slightly grassy, slightly awful.

2.93/5  rDev +3.2%

a: orange color with about an eigth inch of head that dissapears fast leaving no lacing
s: more of a sweet aroma than bitter expected though given style, aroma was much more muted than i would have expected
t: overall a lot sweeter than i would have expected although it finishes with a nice bitterness
m: light to medium bodied with much more than average carbonation

overall the properties of this beer are rather muted and i think the flavor is too sweet, although i will say it was very refreshing after mowing the lawn

2.75/5  rDev -3.2%

Bought a sixer of cans for a fishing trip.

Appearance: Poured a clear golden colour with a slight amber hue. A fluffy white head settles quickly to a bubbly layer for the nearly the entire drink.

Aroma: Mostly grains, soapy & corny grains with a tablespoon of butter. It's not unpleasant, but it's not definately not crafted. Not much from the hops, but that's to be expected from a macro cream ale.

Taste:A non-offensive smattering of grains, alcohol, and buttery flavours. Finish is subduded and slightly corny and metallic, but you can taste some of the not so evil components such as bread & grass, but they require a little bit of searching.

Mouthfeel: Not very creamy for a cream ale, but it is what it is I suppose. Drinkability is pretty high.

Final Statement: First time I had this in cans. The bottles are better because leaving them in the clear bottles makes you feel like you're drinking something refreshing when on a deck in the summer. This beer is my favourite Sleeman brew because it's easy drinking, slightly better than most macros, and a crowd pleaser. Not craft, but not too bad.

3.27/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a 11.5oz brown bottle, with the Sleeman logo raised on the front. No paper labels makes it cooler friendly. :)

Pours a clear auburn, with an eggshell white head that leaves an even webbing. Extremely active, the carbonation never ceases. The secret to cold fusion may be contained inside. :o

Upon pouring, big vapors of alcohol & sugar hit me. Even sitting 2-3 feet away didn't stop the spread of the fog.

The taste starts off tart & sweet, with just a dash of greens, all spread over a slice of Wonder Bread.

Very lean, tolerant, & quenching. Watered down? Sure, but there is flavor here.

2.35/5  rDev -17.3%

Stole this one from my parents house (apparently my mom likes it)

A - Light orange color. White head fades to almost nothing. Below average lacing.

S - Faint overall but mostly just an earthy wheaty malt smell with a sugary sweet background.

T - Pretty much the same as the smell and with a bitter finish.

M - Thin consistency and too much carbonation.

D - Really boring but I guess it could be worse. I should get my mom to drink better beer.

3.1/5  rDev +9.2%

$7.49/Six Pack
JR Liquor
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Appearance - There is alot of action in this pour making it very inviting. It has a 1.5 inch thickness to it's shiny white head. What holds this characteristic towards average is the color of Ale 64*. It doesn't shine like other good cream ales.

Smell - It has a good malty scent to it but it is just too slight. I like a good noseful when I take a big whiff.

Taste - There is a malty flavor backed up with a hoppy finish. There is a creamyness to this beer that helps the malt and hops come together.

Mouthfeel - I can't say the beer is smooth but I does have a creative coarseness to it that's not bad. Still, not what I hope for in a cream ale.

~ I will relax and enjoy drinking this beer. However, I can't see myself pitching another $7.50 towards our northern neighbor just to get a beer that has a cool bottle and 5% alcohol. Sorry.

Sleeman Cream Ale (64*) from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.