Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Old Milwaukee | Sleeman Breweries Ltd.

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
Old MilwaukeeOld Milwaukee

Sleeman Breweries Ltd.
Ontario, Canada | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

A crisp, refreshing lager, light in body and texture with a smooth finish and no after taste.

Added by wordemupg on 09-06-2009

Reviews: 15 | Ratings: 73
Reviews by dpgoblejr:

1.98/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

I just got back from a great camping trip where I had the opportunity to sample some fine lagers at an increased temperature. Our camping location didn't offer much opportunity to buy anything because we were so far from civilisation, so we had to make do with the warm beers.

This was an old favourite of mine when I did my underage drinking in grade 12. Back then I didn't really know what a good beer was, and this was the beer my buddy introduced to me when we first hung out in my basement. I thought it was a bit gnarly even then, but now I can say for sure that this is an awful thing to buy.

I can't comment on the appearance of the beer itself, since nobody would ever contemplate pouring this into a glass other than a red solo cup. Odds are if you're drinking this, you likely don't own any proper beer glasses anyway. I did always have a thing for the girls on the can and the box. For some reason I thought they looked better when I was a kid, but that may just be reflecting my changing attitudes towards the fairer sex. Anyway, to the beer!

I've had this beer at every temperature on the thermometer save for boiling, and it is only acceptable at temperatures approaching 0 degrees celsius. This beer was about 30 degrees at least when I had it over the weekend, and I recall having to drown it in two big gulps with a short break in between to hold back the vomit. We were by a river after all, and hurling into mother nature's glorious streams is not cool. Compared to other crappy lagers in these parts like Lucky and TNT, this really isn't as bad. That's not saying much, but you could do worse.

The aroma smells like beer. Stinky beer. You're better off holding your breath while consuming this beer, since you're just looking to become intoxicated when you purchase this product. It finishes off with a nice warm head that makes your stomach want to kill you for punishing it with these unfair red bullets. Luckily after you've downed 4 or 5 into your eager gullet, you will no longer notice the aroma or the taste.

2.25/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

3.5/5  rDev +47.1%

2.02/5  rDev -15.1%

1.99/5  rDev -16.4%

2.16/5  rDev -9.2%

355ml can, a gift/leftover from a recent hipster party I was dragged to by my uni-adjacent girlfriend.

This beer pours a clear, very pale golden straw colour, with two skinny fingers of weakly bubbly, thin soapy dirty white head, which leaves not a speck of lace in the vicinity of the glass as it quickly melts away.

It smells rather weakly of a gritty rice/corn sweet graininess, hard water, and mildly skunky, dead leafy, herbal, er, 'hops'. The taste is sweet husky rice grain, pithy corn mash, a touch of faintly skunky and herbal bitterness, and well, bumpkis else.

The carbonation is average, as in weakly frothy for a spell, and then more or less absent, the body quite lightweight, and somewhat clammy in its workaday smoothness. It finishes on the sweet side, moderated only by a mildly harsh, drying, nondescript acridity.

As this was exchanged with a fellow party-goer (the beer I gave him was certainly better than this, ah well), in the interest of sharing beer knowledge - I'm duly glad that I got only the one. An average Canadian re-brewed version of average American swill. However, minor extra points are indeed due for the retro-style T & A on the can's label.

2.85/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Straw gold body with lots of apparent carbonation. It's large white head is tightly formed and surprisingly retentive. It even leaves large patches of lace on the walls of my glass. Old Milwaukee is actually an appealing beer to look at. Nondescript cereal-like aroma. The best descriptor I can find for it is "beery." Even for an AAL, it's pretty weak. I'm going to call it slightly below average for it's sheer insipidness, but insipid isn't foul. It has a gently sweet taste with notes of corn flakes cereal and wonderbread. Light bitterness and green apple in the short finish. Light-bodied and highly carbonated. Feels thin and fizzy in the mouth, like carbonated water. Overall, this isn't a terrible beer. It's also not a good one either, and that's a shame because if it didn't have that quite noticeable acetaldehyde fault it would be. Within the context of the style, of course.

2.43/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Well this isn't anything special to look at....very typical at best. It is amongst the clearest of beers that I have ever looked at, and has a very light grainy yellowish tone to it. The head is white, but is not dense at all, fizzling out rather quickly into a patchy layer over the brew. There looks to be lots of big pop like bubbles rising to the top.

S- Dry, musty and grainy is the best I can come up with here. It isn't a dominant aroma....just bland, with some soft sweet malts and full of adjuncts. There is some very muted hop presence on the finish as well.

T- Overall, this is a bland, grainy and adjunct-ish flavored beer. It reminds me of overcooked rice and dust. There isn't much else to say....no hop bitterness on the finish....just a sweet aftertaste that lingers on.

M- Thin and watery best describe this beer. The carbonation levels are high and it does a good job of cleaning out the palate.

D- Highest marks go to this category because like usual, this macro style lager is easy to drink. I'd put this a slight notch above the typical BMC type beers and its' nothing that I'd pay my money for again. If I want a macro, there's several options that I'd prefer to get before this.

1.75/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.5/5  rDev -37%

2.75/5  rDev +15.5%

2.09/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

A eater boring beer with few good qualities. Can be great for a fishing trip or camping but must be served ice cold and downed without to much consideration. At least the can looks ok.

2.24/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a big bottle.

Very clear pale yellow color. Strong white head that disappears in no time. Sweet corn adjuncts dominate then blandness follows. Nothing truly offensive but it`s a bore and belongs at the low end of the spectrum.

1.5/5  rDev -37%

2.75/5  rDev +15.5%

Old Milwaukee from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.