Snowstorm 2008 | August Schell Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States
schellsbrewery.com

Style: Bock

Beer Style: Weihnachtsbier

Flavor/Color Profile: Snow Storm 2008 was designed with the cold days of winter in mind. Reddish-brown in color with a complex maltiness yielding hints of spicy rye, sourdough and chocolate. Brewed with nine different malts, including copious amounts of Munich and a touch of Rye.

Added by morimech on 10-24-2008

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

A beautiful reddish brown with a thin dissipating creamy head. Smells like freshly baked bread. Malty, grainy, fresh, with some nice hop aroma for good measure. Can really smell the sourdough that's in the beer and it makes for a fine aroma. Elegantly sweet, but not too much so. As the beer finishes the sourdough and rye make themselves heard, and their presence provides for a welcome contrast. A warming beer with a very inviting, complex, and flavour profile. A unique take on a bock that has made for a highly enjoyable and approachable flavor. Body is quite creamy, with a clinging, almost sudsy feel to it. Very drinkable for a bock, and I could enjoy this one with a variety of food, or simply on its lovely own. I've long been impressed by snowstorms past and this one may be the best I've had. It's a real pleasure to see such successful breweing experimentation from the folks at Schell's and this beer proves once again why snowstorm should rightly be one of the most anticipated of winter brews.

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

Clear mahogany. Beautiful cream colored head that has a whipped density and leaves blankets of lace as I drink. Very nice aroma of thick malts, a little roast, some chocolate and nougat. The flavor is a real treat. Nice clean and rich malt tones. A little bready yeastiness. Slight roastiness. A little caramel. This is a great tasting bock. The body and carbonation are spot on. This almost comes across as a bock/schwarzbier hybrid. Reminds me of the Sprecher Winter Brew back in the day when it kicked some ass. This is good. I'd like to place it head to head against New Glarus Uff Da bock and see how it stands, though I think the minor differences would distinguish the beers.

I brought 2 new six packs home tonight. This and Bell's Christmas Ale. I was excited for both. Well, I started with this and a few beers later, I have yet to hit up the Bell's...which is a rarity for me when I have a new one sitting there. Definitely one of their best Snowstorm releases and could be their best. (But I keep reminiscing about that plum recipe of 1997-1998.)

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a dark amber brown color with an enormous head that sticks around for quite some time, settling into a nice cap leaving behind some lovely sheets of lacing. Nice aroma of caramel malts, hints of chocolate and dark fruits and slight rye twang. Smells inviting on this cold winter day while there's snow falling outside my window. This brew is malty as hell. Plenty sweet, lots of caramel flavors, a bit of maple syrup, hints of chocolate, again with a slight rye twang, light spiciness, and a decent hop finish. It's complex and malty, just the way I like them in the winter time. It's unlike any other Bock I've experienced, but this is Schell's once a year experimental brew, and they didn't let down. Thick and creamy on the tongue, goes down ultra smooth. Highly drinkable, as the ABV doesn't seem or feel too high. I will certainly be revisiting this beer over the winter months and hope this one makes it's way into Schell's regular lineup, just as past Snowstorms have. I'll even take this as a seasonal, as it's much tastier and more complex than their Caramel Bock. YUM!

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

A- Pours a dark copper color with a slightly tan head 2 fingers in height. The head has some great retention and some nice lacing. No sediment is present.

S- A nice bready component comes through, chocolate, some rye notes, and a bit of earthiness. Overall the nose isn't terribly complex.

T- Starts out with a light chocolate, with bready notes, some rye spiciness, and some dark fruit notes (raisin). The finish has some nice spiciness to it and is warming. I also get a nice dark chocolate note in the finish which coats the mouth.

M- The rye spiciness is very appealing to me. I really enjoy the warming it offers.

D- This beer is 6% which is great because it's an excellent winter beer and won't knock me on my ass when I drink a couple of them. Definitely give this one a shot.

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Just opened my first bottle of Schell's Snowstorm 2008. Can't wait to try it. I think I am a little excited. YEAH.

Alright here it goes...

A - Pours a dark golden color. The color reminds me of Buckwheat Honey. Very thin head but after a few minutes still is present.

S - Smells sweet. Very clean. Very fresh. Was this beer just made? Yes, I think it was. And now for the critical part...the taste. Here goes...

T - Hello Beer, meet mouth. Very good flavor that stays on the tastebuds long after it has made its way to the stomach. The back of the mouth and tongue taste this the longest. VERY FRESH!!! Slight hint of rye and bitter hops. I really think that Schells has outdone themselves on this one. MUCH better than last years Snowstorm 2007. Good carbonination. Not filling. Wow...as I keep drinking, the back of the tongue keeps asking for more. Excuse me while I listen to my mouth. A beer drinker can't keep the tastebuds waiting. Even the burps taste!!! I love you Snowstorm 2008.

M - Like a good beer should feel. Crisp, Refreshing, Awesome.

D - This is one beer that I could drink several of. Very good Bock. One of the best if not the best Bock Schell's has ever produced. Exceptional taste.

Overall, I will be purchasing several more 12 pks of this wonderful brew. Right up there with their Stout and Schmaltz's Alt. Excellent. Thank you Schells.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours dark red in color. Decent head, some lacing.

Aroma of sweet malts , darker sugars like molasses are also evident.

Spicy maltiness seemingly from nutmeg(or another spice) are present although the brewer doesn't mention them. Perhaps this spicy phenolic taste is from the rye. Underlying sweetness is subdued.

Dry and sharp , carbonation is good.

Although it's not typical of a bock , it's worth drinking.

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

This beer pours a clear deep mahogany color. The head is one inch in height, rocky, and recedes slowly into thick, chunky lacing. The aroma is of toffee, caramel, graham crackers, hints of ginger, and tons of sweet malt. It isn't an overpowering nose, but it is very nuanced. The taste is of spicy rye, roasted malts, caramel, toffee, hints of chocolate. The taste is quite a bit more robust than the aroma, but is equally nuanced. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is a great beer, and truly worth the name Snowstorm. There is some much going on here that every sip seems to reveal something new and different. I really hope this becomes a regular in the Schell lineup.

4.21/5  rDev +4.2%

Starts with an interesting malt complexity to the aroma. Fairly bold, especially for this brewery. Some sweet (maybe even caramelize a bit). Some graininess and kinda' smoky. There is an aroma that is vaguely familiar to me from other Schells beers such as the munich dunkel and the dark, so I wonder if it's the grains or the yeast (or both I suppose).
Excellent looking beer. Brightly clear, with a dark color of brown and garnet. Creamy rather dense head of off-white of one inch and leaves nice lacing especially towards the top of the glass.
Malty richness in the flavor again with a malty drying at the finish which is surrounded by a mild bitterness. Munich malt character is easily noted. A touch of rye spiciness and overall holds some flavor reminiscent of winter ales (such as Summit and Avery), yet completely different too. A tad of alcohol noted as much is impact as flavor.
Fullness from carbonation, but bubbles are soft and fine. Nice moderate lager body.
This isn't a huge beer and will be a disappointment for some, but it is rich with a solid body and complex flavors even at relatively cold temperatures. Drinkability is rather high as I'd easily take another after this initial one. If the Caramel Bock could change to something like this what a merry christmas that would be.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

A Weihnachtsbier described as a winter bock on the bottle carrier. Other Weihnachtsbiers on the site are classified in different styles from Kolsch, Marzen, to Dunkel Lagers. This one is "Brewed with nine different malts, including copious amounts of Munich and a touch of Rye."

Pours a reddish brown color with two inches of off-white head that hangs around for a little while and eventually settles to a thin cap. Some sticky lacing is left on the glass surface during consumption. Strong malt aroma, mainly caramel malt. Semi sweet malt flavor with low noble hop flavor. Some alcohol is detected as well. Nice cold weather flavored beer. Medium body with a fizzy carbonation. Not harsh but just a bit overdone. I think the ABV is up around 7-8% so I would not drink more than a couple. Look forward to drink more of this in the upcoming winter months.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last