Schell's Light | August Schell Brewing Company

August Schell Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
schellsbrewery.com

Style: Light Lager

You can't deny the popularity of light beers today. You can create one that's more substantial and more flavorful than the competition.

Schell's Light is an American lager with a golden color, light body and a refreshingly crisp dry finish. Brewed with 85 percent malted barley, it has a much fuller flavor than other light beer. 100 calories, 7 grams carbohydrates, 0.7 grams protein, 0 grams fat.

Added by ADR on 12-03-2003

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.24/5  rDev +42.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

If you are looking for a light beer, you have already accepted that you will compromise some flavor. However, this is the light beer for a beer drinker. Full, malty lager taste without the dramatic compromise you experience with other light beers. Crisp, pleasing finish when served cold. By far the best light beer I have had.

2.78/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.5/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.2/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I would say that this is perhaps the most enjoyable light lager that I have ever had. It's not a staple in my fridge or anything, but it does occasionally hit the spot on a hot day. Crisp mouthfeel, clean finish, slight hoppiness actually in both aroma and taste. Pair with golf, fishing, or popcorn.

3.7/5  rDev +24.6%

Light pours a golden color with no head. There really isn't any aroma to this beer. There is a very crisp taste with a full malty backbone. Nice body, and good feel. For what it is, its pretty good. Flavorful, and nice non offensive taste. For being a "light" beer its actually pretty good.

2.5/5  rDev -15.8%

3.5/5  rDev +17.8%

3.5/5  rDev +17.8%

2.53/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

amber with a small white head. Lots of visible carbonation and very clear consistency. At least the tone has a decent reddish tint. Smell was full of grains and not really much else, slight hint at a caramel or sugar sweetness but very slight and only as it warmed. The taste was a little musty. Grain, corn, and grass flavors were the big players here, slight amount of caramel trying to come through but never really made it. The feel was very smooth, decent body, not as light as some others. Overall it had a bit more of a flavor profile then some of the others did, but still needs a little work

2.58/5  rDev -13.1%

It's time to reboot The CANQuest (TM) and it's about effin' time! I took some time off to realign my bottle numbers, but it is/was/has been about beer in CANs and I CAN't wait to get back astride the CAN horse. My thanks to Chaz who sent this to me and has been awaiting my review since its arrival.

Dang, but this is fresh! The code on the bottom has it as 11/25/10 and my man Chaz is right - the cobalt (CO) blue color of the CAN jumps out at me amidst all of the other CANs in my reefer awaiting the Crack and Glug.

It is onomatopoetic, but the Crack and Glug is one of the primary things that I have missed during my hiatus. I have turned into an audiophilic beer hound and my attempts to lean over the bar to listen to the beer flow from the tap into my glass have been disastrous. Sheewhack, but I haven't caught a baseball bat across the cranium in close to twenty years, following our return from Gulf War I and a night of liberty with the Gunners Mates and LT Mean Gene, but one of my servers recently caught me leaning in and ...

Ooh, this is one of Greg Koch's infamous "fizzy yellow beers" and I am all for it. I got just over a finger of bubbly, fizzy bone-white head that fizzled its way out of existence. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. I have made water that was darker than this (although my kidneys and liver may be failing following last Sunday's malt likker marathon). Nose had the familiar scent of silage, like my jokes - very corny. CAN't have it all, I suppose. Mouthfeel was thin with a heavy presence of carbonic effervescence and a taste of watery corn, like a cheap CAN of corn. Oof. Well, the CAN itself sure was purty. Finish left me hankering for a better CAN, just like a better tomorrow. NOT a CANdidate for the cooler, however.

3.12/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a very, very pale straw in color, topped with a shock-white head of moderate duration, and which in turn leaves minimal lacing as it subsides.

Nose is corny, heavily adjunct-laden, but otherwise not in the least bit off-putting. Moderately "metallic" and also slightly sweet nose, but otherwise no trace of hops.

Semi-sweet and somewhat tangy on the first sip, there's a mostly-pleasing malt quality shining through this one, though it is hardly a hearty or "malt-driven" beer. Neither is it a hoppy thing; whatever hop use is present has been thoroughly buried by corny goodness.

Rather fizzy and light-bodied, the mouthfeel here almost doesn't register as beer! It's more like carbonated water. Still, there is some character to this one, and perhaps it's in its overall inoffensiveness that this beer truly shines.

Better than average drinkability for what there is, but again (as with Deer Brand) I'm averaging the better of the the latter two elements of the rating system here, in order to bring both into the realm of the average Craft Beer Drinker's reality.

Schell's Light has slightly more character than the infamous Leinenkugel's Light, along with slightly less (of the wrong kind of) character than some of the cheap and nasty cut-rate brands out there, it also rates higher than Grain Belt Premium Light. Also, it comes in a snazzy blue can to boot -- what's not to love?

2.88/5  rDev -3%

A-Very light yellow...excellent clarity...looks clean

S-More of an aroma than most light beers. Fruity and cidery smelling (apples/pears)...some light malt as well..

T-Light flavors of apples and pears.

M-Light and fizzy...

D-Looks the part but tastes more ale like than lager like. Depends on what you want in a light beer. This has more flavor than most but perhaps not the flavor you'd expect with the fruity notes..

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast