Star Of The North: Berlin Style Wheat Beer | August Schell Brewing Company

Star Of The North: Berlin Style Wheat BeerStar Of The North: Berlin Style Wheat Beer

August Schell Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
schellsbrewery.com

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Extremely pale yellow in color with a slight haze and a large, creamy, snow-white foam head. This beer is rather light on the palate and very dry. A lively carbonation accentuates the refreshingly tart acidity. Expect an interesting mix of fruity flavors reminiscent of ripe lemons and apple juice with a touch of spice and a subtle brett character.

Added by beachscrat on 07-12-2013

Sorry Schell's brewing but this beer is not good. It's not my style. I realize this beer is made specifically to taste the way it does but I did not like it. My poor rating won't hurt though because there is a pretty strong group that likes Star of the North. It's the only offering from Schell's I haven't enjoyed so there's plenty of options for me.

2.41/5  rDev -42.9%

Ok this is my first review but when I opened the bottle and started to drink this beer I ran right away to see what this stuff was. I was very surprised to see how highly this was rated here. I am not a beer expert necessarily but I drink beer in the $10-$18 / 12 pack so I don't drink swill either. I expected this to be like other wheat beers I have had and enjoyed, namely a Paulaner Hefe or others that I have had. I do not want to be too harsh because this may very well be (and by the reviews I believe it is) exactly how this beer should look and taste, but I have to say this tastes similar to stomach bile to me, specifically the taste of regurgitating beer when having a few too many. So anyway this did not agree with my palette and I won't be buying it again. For those of you who like this I say awesome, and thanks for supporting my local brewer :).

2.5/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.75/5  rDev -34.8%

3.25/5  rDev -23%

3.55/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Pale golden yellow. Clear. Small white head that doesn't last.

Smell - Wheaty grain. Lactic acidity, but faint. Faint grape aroma, really makes it champagney.

Taste - Mildly tart. Grainy wheat. Less fruity, but it's still there.

Mouthfeel - Light and very drinkable. High carbonation.

Overall - Simple and well brewed. To style.

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Hazy, pale yellow color with two fingers of loose white foam that collapses to a stable cap. Scant lacing remains on the glass.

S: Tangy and unctuous, with enough traditional bread qualities to make the smell seem deep for the style.

T: Begins dry, with bready wheat and lactic tartness that is cut by the softness of the wheat. For that reason the grain lingers more convincingly on the palate while the acidity seems a bit stale and disjointed.

M: Thin viscosity, soft on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Clean and traditional; quite refreshing. Although it seems a bit lifeless after it is allowed to sit, it is nice to see a domestic berlinerweisse executed by the numbers.

Star Of The North: Berlin Style Wheat Beer from August Schell Brewing Company