Bellringers Bitter | Galbraith's Alehouse

alehouse.co.nz

Style: English Bitter

Added by vancurly on 09-03-2006

2.19/5  rDev -30.5%

This beer looked much better than it ended up being. A clear copper "Best" Bitter with initially a nice creamy head eventually disappoints. Try as I might, I swirled, sniffed, swirled again and got virtually no nose at all. The head died extremely fast and I was eventually left with a low carbonated, thin bodied copper ale with a mild soapiness. I was guessing this may have been made with a variant of Ringwood yeast. Hop spice comes late with little bitterness and combines with the malt to give an overall impression of yeast and green apple that reminded me of brown bread when I closed my eyes.

2.93/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Really sweet aroma with a touch of caramel. Interesting note of sulphur.

Clear amber colour with a small, foamy white head. Nice lacing.

There's too much sulphur here which masks the otherwise malty palate. A hint of fruitiness is good but there is too much sulphur.

Medium-light body with low carbonation. Suitable.

A standard sort of bitter but the sulphur is a fault that I can't get past.

3.71/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap at the brewpub.

A: Served a copper color with a nice head that faded to traces of lacing.

S: Aroma is a bit fruity with trace of caramel in the background.

T: Taste mild fruit with a bit of citrus along with mild caramel sweetness. Nice bitterness and a clean finish.

F: Medium body, a bit of crispness and quite smooth. Has a bit of character to ound it out.

O: Enjoyable cask ale.

3.75/5  rDev +19%

Had on tap at the source. A great experience.
First, it reminded me that I need to seek out cask conditioned ales more if they are on the engine.
Second, Galbraith's takes seriously recreating the alehouse and, more important, the richness of the Burton water taste.

Looks fine with its tight little bubbly foam. Smells are mostly malt, tho not distinguished. Tastes seem like the real deal pulled together. Rarely does the Burton water get mimicked this well with also the malts and hops in balance. And in the mouth? Soft, soft, soft.

Would I have it again ? For sure. But, it is hard to find a brewer this dedicated to remaking the tradition.

Bellringers Bitter from Galbraith's Alehouse