Milk Stout Nitro

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Milk Stout NitroMilk Stout Nitro
Notes: Taking America Back. Dark & delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. Pouring hard out of the bottle, Milk Stout Nitro cascades beautifully, building a tight, thick head like hard whipped cream. The aroma is of brown sugar and vanilla cream, with hints of roasted coffee. The pillowy head coats your upper lip and its creaminess entices your palate. Initial roasty, mocha flavors rise up, with slight hop & roast bitterness in the finish. The rest is pure bliss of milk chocolate fullness.
Reviews: 431 | Ratings: 3,109 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by willyburz:
willyburz from South Dakota

My beer/stout world changed forever when I drank my first Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro! In my opinion, it is the greatest stout on the planet, simply amazing! Left Hand doesn't distribute here in Sioux Falls yet, so I make state border runs, and stock up. If you love beer, if you like stouts, THIS beer is AMAZING! Go with the Nitro, soooooooo smooth!

Mar 26, 2015
Jeffreysan from Maryland

4.74/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a thin lacing of oatmeal-colored foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Lots of roasted malt and lactose up front, giving off notes of coffee and cream, freshly baked dark bread, vanilla and caramel.

Taste: Very roasty up front, with some nice coffee and burnt sugar flavors, followed by some vanilla, caramel and brown sugar-like sweetness. There’s no coffee-like bitterness to speak of which pleases me greatly. Delicious!

Mouthfeel: Creamy as hell, and very, very, very smooth, as there’s no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 6.0%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a damn good milk stout! Great flavors of roasted malt and some subtle coffee, accented with some nice caramel, brown sugar and vanilla-like sweetness, all wrapped up in an extremely smooth quaff. I’ll certainly be getting more of this!

Jan 26, 2015
hopphead31415 from Virginia

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

I picked this one up and was glad that I did. It has 6.0% ABV and comes in a dark colored glass. I gave it a vigorous pour and let the thick head appear. I’ll review each of its components below.

Look-Pours a jet black opaque color that is impenetrable by any light. It is like a tuxedo black darker than the dark side of the full moon. It transformed my glass into a shadow. The head leaves a fine foamy lacing on the glass.

Smell-It has a subtle smell of milk chocolate and charcoal.

Taste-It tastes like vanilla, milk chocolate, sweet cream, roasted cocoa beans, and oak. The carbonation is not noticeable enough to get in the way of the subtle flavors and the mild bite from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel-Obviously one the most pleasant mouthfeels I’ve ever had. It is oily, slick, creamy, and smooth. The smoothest beer you’ll ever feel on your tongue is this baby.

Overall-This is an excellent and refreshing beer. It is so smooth, tasty, and refreshing. It is definitely a great beer!

Jul 22, 2015
sheeley from Minnesota

4.56/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: I love the dark black color of this beer. One of the darkest colors I have seen, even for a stout. Probably just me not pouring it hard enough into the glass, but there was little to no head, which I found disappointing. Smell: Wonderful. Notes of milk and mocha/espresso. Taste/mouthfeel: Exceptional. I personally love milk stouts, and this reminded me of my all-time favorite beer, Odell Lugene. Very smooth taste with strong coffee notes. In general, the taste is lacking a bit for me, I found myself wanting more flavor than I got. The aftertaste is quite pleasant; I could easily drink this beer all night long with no problem. Occasionally, I taste a sharp alcohol note (usually upon the initial sip), but it disappears quickly. Overall, a wonderful milk stout that I will purchase again.

Aug 06, 2014
StonedTrippin from Colorado

3.96/5  rDev -5%

you know, maybe i am the only one who thinks this, but i am a sucker for the original, and dont think the nitro format, even on tap, adds anything in this particular instance. its great beer of course, the original is one of the beers that got me into craft, or at least into dark beers, and i will always have a special place in my heart for it. the nitro seems to detract from rather than add to the richness, it sounds weird, but the viscosity and low carbonation of the original is more appealing to me than the thinner but more alive nitro version. the flavors are great, but the sweetness which i love about it is balanced out a little more here, which ordinarily i would love but here less so. the nitro version has some advantages though, i think it makes a better morning drink, in fact, one of the best. the roasty notes come out more in the absence of sweetness, a great coffee substitute. one of the only beers this is true for, but i like the original better than the nitro, although the nitro bottling technology is cool.

Nov 15, 2014
Jomolieri from Virginia

3.33/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

It's smooth, milky creamy smooth. Thats about all folks!

But seriously this is a one trick pony beer. It simply lacks depth and complexity and doesn't have much aroma. Just a tinge of yeast if you sniff hard enough.

It's a great beer if you're looking for amazing mouthfeel and heavy smooth milk sweetness but don't expect more. It's not a full sensory beer. From the smell down through every part of the sip - the nose, body, and after taste - it just ain't there with this one.

May 19, 2016
PicoPapa from Connecticut

3.94/5  rDev -5.5%

12oz bottle. Pours a pitch black color with an inch of frothy tan head. Lots of lacing. The aroma is sweet milk chocolate, roasted malts, earth and charcoal. The taste is sweet milk chocolate, almost like a chocolate milk shake. Some roasted malts with a hint of smoke. Earthy notes. Finishes with mor of the roasted malts and milk chocolate. Velvety, slick mouthfeel from the nitro. Overall, very well done. I still prefer the draft but I will be buying more of this again. Glad it is now available in CT.

Feb 15, 2015
KEH from Michigan

WOW! I love this beer!

I remember the first time I tried it... I went into a liquor store that has a great beer selection, wanting to try something new. This had just arrived. There was a display set up, and it really stood out. All black box with white text saying "America's Stout." I was thinking to myself "who the hell are these guys putting that on their beer?!" Well, after making my rounds a few times, nothing else stood jumped out at me, so I bought a cold 6-pack. I cracked the first one as soon as I got home and had a lot of fun pouring it (follow the directions!) My initial impression was decent. It poured a lot like and looked a lot like Guinness. The smell was sweeter. I enjoyed the first few sips, but wasn't blown away (yet.) By the time I finished the first bottle, I was opening the second... and the third... eventually the whole 6-pack was gone. I went to the store and bought a whole case after that. And it disappeared quick!

I LOVE THIS BEER!!!!

Nov 02, 2016
Lumens66 from Connecticut

4.94/5  rDev +18.5%

No hyperbole in this review. Just my opinion. I had this stout for the first time 2 weeks ago, and after 8 years of drinking stouts, I've found the best one I've ever had. This may sound ridiculous, but when I tried it, it replaced the reaction I had after trying Guinness for the first time. It's better on draught of course, but honestly, its taste and experience translates well to the bottle if you pour it hard into a glass at a vertical 90 degree angle. It forms a gorgeous head that lasts and it has the creamiest mouth feel (jokes aside) of any stout I've ever had thanks to the added lactose. In concert to the lactose, the relatively high 6% A/V makes it slightly sweet as well. Prior to this, the best stout I'd had was Founder's Breakfast Stout, but this is incredible. I truly mean this when I say that this is the stout to end all stouts. It has everything that I want in a stout. Amazing.

Jan 04, 2016
DraconusDesanctus666 from Florida

4.13/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz bottle,into a Cigar City snifter.

Small,thick,creamy,khaki colored head,with a nice cascade.Leaves a nice lacing on the glass.Dark black in color,with just a smidge of light coming through the bottom.

The nose is milk chocolate,with some dark roasted malts,and dark roasted coffee.The milk chocolate dominates.Small amount of toffee.

The palate is most milk chocolate,with some coffee,and dark malts.

The body is thin,with a wet,smooth finish...Just the slightest hint of carbonation in the mouth feel.

This is a good stout,just a hair beneath their Russian imperial,but still good.

Dec 11, 2016
Myotus from Texas

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured hard from a 12oz bottle into a Spiegelau stout glass. Cascading effect is amazing and pretty trippy. After it settles, a thick finger's worth of khaki head maintains. A plethora of lacing. Black in color with a brown tint. Strong aromas of roasted malts and coffee that elegantly combine with mild milk aromas. Initial taste is comprised of mild and sweet milk flavors that combine with subtle coffee flavors. Milk flavors persist in magnitude as subtle coffee flavors gradually grow more intense and mild roasted malt flavors enter the mix. Hardly any bitterness throughout this symphony of flavors. Medium-bodied, no carbonation (thanks to the nitro factor), and goes down smoother than a Keystone. Best milk stout I have had so far.

Jun 21, 2015
Stout_Hunter from Arkansas

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

L: Poured 12oz bottle hard into signature Left Hand Stout Glass. Cascades absolutely beautiful...truly wonderful to watch. After it settles it is jet black with a light tan almost white head, thick and creamy.
S: Heavy coffee smells dominate this beer.
T: Nice and sweet. Super smooth...0 bite to it. 0 bitterness.
F: Goes down very easily nice and velvety feel to it...gulpable stout for sure.
O: I really like this beer but there is something missing I like a little bit of bitterness and bite in my stout...lefthand milk stout nitro is wonderful but the original version is my favorite hands down.

Dec 18, 2016
Praxis from Texas

1.99/5  rDev -52.3%

This beer is completely revolting. I have tried a lot of stouts in my life and never have I encountered one with more water than beer in terms of content. It is extremely thin for a stout, more sour than it is bitter with not even a hint of heft to it. If you prefer ales or American light beers, you will find this to be your favorite "stout". But in comparison to other offerings, it will be a profound disappointment.

Sep 30, 2015
FFreak from Vermont

3.99/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured 12 oz bottle into standard pint glass after a two course campground meal. This is a nearly black stout with almost zero head and minimal lace. There's lots of coffee and chocolate in the nose. Taste is nice - sweet smooth malt with tons of coffee flavor and some chocolate, just a hint of roast, but nothing brisk or sharp at all. Mouthfeel is smooth with low carbonation and a chocolate milk-like texture. This is overall a good after dinner dessert beer that would also stand up fairly well on it's own.

Jul 21, 2014
mschipper from Texas

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Incredible. Was not expecting a stout this good. I am usually harsh on stouts because most have added carbonation and I personally feel that stouts are better on their natural, creamy froth like this one. A: black as coffee, and not to thick. Hardly a fingers worth of head that dissipates to a quarter finger that lasts throughout with minimal lacing. S: definitely milky, hints of mocha and chocolate, undertones of bread. and absolutely no hint of hops. T: milk and mocha are strong, chocolate and bread come later, slight dark fruit, hops are completely disguised. F: smooth, milky, and very little carbonation. Have to be careful because of how smooth it is, it goes down quick. O: superb stout. Definitely on my favorite list. It's actually refreshing.

Mar 22, 2015
Wasatch from Colorado

12 oz. Bottle

Pours a pretty nice dark brown color, pretty nice carbonation, with a pretty nice thick/creamy/foamy white head, which leaves some sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, chocolate/toffee, with some vanilla. The taste is malty, chocolate/toffee, nice sweetness, vanilla. Medium body. Overall, a pretty tasty brew.

Apr 04, 2017
Shep669 from Canada

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First foray into a milk stout beer. A beer that comes with pour instructions, pour hard into glass. Great foamy head, very creamy. The beer itself is a dark molasses like colour. Very pronounced mocha flavours that finished just slightly bitter. The bottom was even better than the top half. Really enjoyed it.

Sep 21, 2017
The_Geologist from Montana

4.95/5  rDev +18.7%

First tried this beer on a tour at the brewery and have loved it ever since. Nice chocolate notes with a smooth texture from the nitrogen. A very drinkable stout.

Oct 16, 2017
Chris_Huston from Texas

3.47/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Much of what my notes on the non-nitro version stand here. This one, though, does have a stronger milk presence, at least in the taste, and the body seems a touch stouter, though still more porter-like. If choosing between the two, I'd definitely take this nitro version, and enjoy it, but I wouldn't make a concerted re-visit.

Nov 07, 2015
riegler from Iowa

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%

One of my favorite stouts. First of all, just pouring it is cool in itself. Then when you take the first sip it is so creamy it is almost like drinking a glass of milk. The head is so frothy you have to break through to get to the goodness that is this beer. Probably not everyone's favorite being it is fairly sweet, but it is definitely a go to for me. Bud light doesn't know what smooth is compared to this. Great beer.

Jul 16, 2015
nunitn from Arizona

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

12 oz bottle finally got a chance to try this one my brothers have been hyping it up as a stout lover they've been telling me about it. I was expecting to be disappointed but this definitely delivered huge silky amazing aftertaste almost exactly what I look for in a stout this one's about as solid as a Sierra Nevada Stout not much of a head at all if any really mild smell but great smell but the taste is everything with this one well done not huge on the milky aftertaste but that's just my palate

Dec 03, 2017
hopsputin from New Jersey

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

a: a solid, dark black color. almost like motor oil. 1/2 finger tan solid head. almost looks like a coin could rest on there

s: smells like silky chocolate with some bitter roasted malts. very smooth smelling with hints of cocoa, vanilla, and caramel

t: taste follows the nose pretty well. i'm definitely noticing that milky lactose sweetness right away in here. that rolls into some mildly bitter roasted malts and a nice rich milk chocolate flavor. nothing too complex but incredibly smooth

m: very silky and creamy. very smooth

o: one of the most milk-sweetness forward milk stouts i've had. its nothing crazy, but is delicious and has a wonderful mouthfeel. real nice balance of sweet and roasty bitterness in here. definite recommend

Jan 10, 2015
thehyperduck from Canada

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle picked up in Port Huron; no apparent freshness info. Served slightly chilled.

An aggressive pour yields a glass filled with an opaque, black-coloured liquid, topped with just over one finger's worth of dense, creamy, light beige-coloured head. Very nice retention, with gobs of sticky lacing - an attractive stout for sure. The aroma is rich and enticing, with notes of roasted malt, cocoa, mocha coffee and toffee. Nothing too fancy, but miles ahead of most of the nitro beers I've tried previously, which typically have very bland, subdued aromas.

Rich and creamy are the words of the day as far as this beer goes. The sip is initially dominated by a combination of milk chocolate, mocha and lactose sweetness, with a touch of roasted malts and toffee/caramel. Bittersweet finish, with a lingering milk sugar sweetness. Medium-bodied, with the sort of silky-smooth mouthfeel you'd expect from a nitro beer. The taste is definitely approachable, but it's so god damn sweet that I can't see myself wanting more than a bottle of this at a time.

Final Grade: 4.07, a solid A-. Left Hand has produced an exceptionally high-quality milk stout here. It's a little too saccharine to be something I'd consume on a regular basis, but to be fair this is not one of my preferred styles to begin with. It's still a tasty little beer that is well worth a try if you're curious, although I doubt it's very popular amongst the diabetic demographic.

Aug 01, 2014
johnnnniee from New Hampshire

3.89/5  rDev -6.7%

Bottle from the Drinkery Derry as Nitro Milk stout.
Opaque black color with a small creamy tan head that persists for quite a while. Rich chocolate with hints of sugary sweetness that reminds me of creamed coffee. Creamy silky mouthfeel. Smooth rich tasty beverage.

Jul 04, 2015
Sable from Pennsylvania

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%

Feeling the power of the Dark Side tonight. Left Hand Brewing Nitro Milk Stout. Its dark and you can't see through it. Two of my favorite qualities. On the pour there is a definite smell of molasses, but the initial flavor was rather disappointing. Overwhelmingly coffee, but not much else. Mouthfeel was thinner than I expected for something purporting to be a milk stout. Important safety tip ... Drinking this straight out of the fridge is a disppointment. Let it sit a while. The flavors don't really show themselves until it starts to come up in temperature! Once it does you get coffee, cocoa, molasses, burnt sugars. Far better than it started.

Jun 29, 2018