Sawtooth Ale | Left Hand Brewing Company

Sawtooth AleSawtooth Ale

Left Hand Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
lefthandbrewing.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-16-2001

3.7

Ratings: 2,143 |  Reviews: 702
4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

3.41/5  rDev -7.8%

A - Pours a beautiful dark orange/amber color, almost ruby. Medium to small head with light lacing.
S - Hop characters present on the nose, some citrus and honey smells.
T - Well balanced, picking up both malt & hop profiles fairly evenly. Slight grapefruit and grassy flavors present as well.
M - Light body with low carbonation, goes down nice and smooth.
O - An OK brew, not bad but not great, expected a little more flavor profile from LHB on this one.

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

APPEARANCE: Light amber in color and crystal clear with a pretty strong, white head and creamy that stuck around for a little while, but not too long. Hundreds of bubbles pop up from the bottom giving this beer a very lively look. The creamy, foamy head provides stellar lacing.

SMELL: Not much in terms of aroma. A very faint earthy, hoppy smell barely tickles the nose.

TASTE: Deep caramel malt is the most noticeable flavor in this beer. This is clearly a more traditional English take on the style than it is American. Some hops are present, providing a slight bit of bittering balance.

MOUTHFEEL: Sweet and sticky up front, but with a much dryer and cleaner finish.

OVERALL: This is a pretty good example of an E.S.B. and as one of Colorado’s most widely available beers it’s an excellent go-to beer almost anywhere in the state.

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

I am not a big fan of Left Hand. Until we sat down to drink this one, I had no idea where the name came from. That is a pretty cool story. Anyway, their Milk Stout is what they are pretty much known for. At least for me. I am not a big fan of that one. Jake has a bottle of the nitro… and he likes that style. But this one is known as their "flagship beer", so I hope this has more flavor and complexity than the Milk Stout. If nothing else, I like their logo! The Milk Stout is on our list, and is in our fridge. Let's get to it…

In the Glass: It looks like an ale. Sheryl didn't think so. She thought it looked like a pale ale. (Edit from Sheryl: that is NOT what I said.) Yep… still an ale! Anyway, it looks good in the glass. I am not too excited about the ABV here. Coming in under 5% I am not sure what the hype is. I guess I need to stop writing

Nose: I am picking up a TON of malt on this one. It smells like a barleywine. I am telling you… I am on a HUGE barleywine kick right now. Not sure why. Maybe because of how sweet they are. But this one is loaded with malts, and it is obvious from the nose. Let's see what she tastes like.

Flavor: The sweetness I was picking up on the nose is there, but only for a second. Then it settles down, and slides across the palate leaving a velvety mouthfeel that just hangs around. Then the swallow is very balanced and the hops are never more than just there. Because this has such a low ABV, I can see this beer being something I could/would chug if the price was right.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is great. It is silky smooth, and almost buttery. The burp is nice too, bringing back those malts that you could smell and briefly taste. The beer is extremely smooth, and leads to a smooth and balanced finish.

Aftertaste: There isn't much going on here, but that's OK. I didn't really expect it nor want it. The beer is so smooth, I want another drink! For not being a big fan of Left Hand, I am pretty impressed with this. There are a lot of things going on, but the flavor just equals a good, quality brew. Bottoms up, people!

Left Hand Sawtooth Ale - The bottle says: "Brewed with clean energy powered by SimpleSolar electric systems. Brewed on the banked of the mighty St. Vrain."

Sawtooth Ale from Left Hand Brewing Company