Polestar Pilsner | Left Hand Brewing Company

1.5/5  rDev -59%

1.5/5  rDev -59%

1.75/5  rDev -52.2%

1.83/5  rDev -50%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a 12 ounce beer mug at around 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Appearance: Well, it looks like beer, which is more than I can say for the last beer I reviewed. Pale golden color, light carbonation, oddly translucent and no head with light lacing.

Smell: Very light corn scent, gentle alcoholic tones waft through the air. Nothing outstanding about this one.

Taste: This is pretty bad. Seriously...it's salty with almost no hop flavor, and way too yeasty for a pils. There is little to no foretaste, and a bitter and unrewarding aftertaste. No go.

Mouthfeel: Fluffy, if you try to savor the flavor. This beer is on par with bark-flavored styrofoam tea.

Drinkability: I can handle it...but would not recommend it to a friend. The foaminess is too much, and takes away from any redeeming potential the taste could have.

Maybe it's the spaghetti I ate for dinner, but there's something starchy about this beer that just doesn't sit right with me. I wouldn't dissuade someone from trying this beer, but I would urge them to partake with caution. Not impressed.

1.84/5  rDev -49.7%

First had: Philly Beer Scene Tasting panel with Matt Falco at Victory Brewing Company, Downingtown, PA

I was privileged enough to be on the tasting panel for PBS Magazine, along with Bill Covaleski of Victory and Greg Ramirez of Exton Beverage. This was one of 21 beers we sampled during the session.

I like Left Hand beers. I think the problem here with this one is that it was unfortunately past its prime. It was actually pretty undrinkable, and our ratings for this one were discarded. Hopefully I'll be able to sample it again in the future and give a better rating, because I have to believe they couldn't make a beer this bad.

Clear golden-yellow pour, foamy white head...everything looked like a normal pils. Aroma of grains, sulfur, heavy funk. All signs seemed to be pointing to oxidation. Taste was a blast of funk and skunk, sulfur, wet grass and cardboard, distant flavors of what may have been a good beer: spent grains and generic hop bitterness. I didn't see a freshness date, nor do I know when our host got the bottle, but I think it's safe to say, this one was not fresh. Lighter body, and pretty much undrinkable; "drain" pour.

I'll still take it over a Bud though.

2.01/5  rDev -45.1%

From a bottled dated 19 October 2005, I poured this 40 days later on November 28. It pours a clear, light gold with slight carbonation and a small head which dissipates quickly, leaving only a speckled hint of its former presence. The bouquet is light and sweet, neither enticing nor off-putting and doesn't strike me as too different from any American macro-lagers.

The instant the beer touches my tongue I sense a tingling that quickly becomes a jumping bitterness as the liquid moves farther along on my tongue. This flavors dissipate quickly but linger well. As I take larger
swigs, the flavors become slightly less distinct, and I struggle to catch any of the aromas well.

As one would expect, the body is light and seems crisp at first, but by the end of each mouthfeel, I felt that the feel took on a slimey, mucous-like quality. My bias is that I'm not a huge pilsener fan, and
this certainly hasn't won me over. Not recommended.

2.06/5  rDev -43.7%

Growler poured into a pils glass. Bubbly light gold with a modest-for-style frothy white head and some drippy lacing.

I see I'm the first to review this beer from a growler, and I'm inclined to give it another shot from a bottle. Something definitely seemed off here (although it was consumed fresh, poured about 20 minutes after purchase). Some earthy and grassy hops in the nose, some lightly sweet malt, but not as lively as you'd expect from a pils. Nice lemony bitterness, but the noble hop flavors are subdued, it seems overly sweet, and even at this modest ABV, it's rather boozy.

Overall impression: I'll give this another shot in a bottle, but this growler provided a subpar pils experience. Old keg, maybe? (This was one of the first kegs in the state.)

2.12/5  rDev -42.1%

Blah! What a boring pilsener. Pour was a light gold with no head and no bubbles. Aroma was almost nothing. I blew my nose and tried again...nothing; so it's not my allergies. Taste was a semi carbonated mix of corn, grain and grass. A little biscuit in the aftertaste. Very watery and thin. Nothing to remember.

2.18/5  rDev -40.4%

This beer pours a perfect look. Just the right shade of golden with a nice thick head. Could not help but notice the born on date. Smudged, it showed a little over a month ago. Then, the smell. I smelled that smell before and I cursed the day when I first smelt it. The smell is a dead ringer for Milwaukee's Best, The Beast. The salty smell was overwhelming. Being hopeful with the looks, I took a drink. The salty beast was all over it, though I remember The Beast (been over 10 years) to be worse. Not smooth in the mouth or going down. After drinking the beer, which was good enough to finish but it is rare that I would ever not finish a beer, I needed a drink of water to kill the taste out of my mouth. Assessment, if you are dirt poor and want to get drunk to drown your worries, drink something cheaper.

2.2/5  rDev -39.9%

2.24/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

2.25/5  rDev -38.5%