Polestar Pilsner | Left Hand Brewing Company

4.3

Ratings: 1,170 |  Reviews: 386

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

1.84/5  rDev -49.7%

First had: Philly Beer Scene Tasting panel with Matt Falco at Victory Brewing Company, Downingtown, PA

I was privileged enough to be on the tasting panel for PBS Magazine, along with Bill Covaleski of Victory and Greg Ramirez of Exton Beverage. This was one of 21 beers we sampled during the session.

I like Left Hand beers. I think the problem here with this one is that it was unfortunately past its prime. It was actually pretty undrinkable, and our ratings for this one were discarded. Hopefully I'll be able to sample it again in the future and give a better rating, because I have to believe they couldn't make a beer this bad.

Clear golden-yellow pour, foamy white head...everything looked like a normal pils. Aroma of grains, sulfur, heavy funk. All signs seemed to be pointing to oxidation. Taste was a blast of funk and skunk, sulfur, wet grass and cardboard, distant flavors of what may have been a good beer: spent grains and generic hop bitterness. I didn't see a freshness date, nor do I know when our host got the bottle, but I think it's safe to say, this one was not fresh. Lighter body, and pretty much undrinkable; "drain" pour.

I'll still take it over a Bud though.

3.44/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The appearance is very nice,clear,blonde,lots of tiny bubbles,and frothy head. The smell is disappointing, "green bottle" alert,although this one's coming out of a brown. The taste is much better,but I found it to be a little bland,not enough bread,malty taste and really not much hop,except in the smell. Im not one who likes much hop. I would drink this again,however,im sure its better with some complimentary foods.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.46/5  rDev -5.5%

On tap at Hops and Pie and served in a Polestar Pilsner glass. Bright yellow, appearance fits the bill. Smells like a pils, hint of earth, minerals, very subtle. Taste is refreshing, nice hint of mineral (why do I always taste this in pils and kolsch?), crisp. Great beer for a hot day, no complaints on this one.

3.11/5  rDev -15%

With a totally nonexistent haze this beer makes a good impression, and the carbonation is crisp and cleansing. The taste has that really dry biscuity flavor typical of pilsners. Overall its not bad, it's very refreshing but its biggest flaw is that it just doesnt really stand out.

Polestar Pilsner from Left Hand Brewing Company