Chainsaw Ale | Left Hand Brewing Company

Liked:
3.8/5
Alströms:

22 oz. Bomber

Pours a pretty nice dark brown color, pretty nice carbonation, with a pretty nice thick/creamy off-white head, which leaves some sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, citrus. The taste is malty, slightly hoppy, slight citrus. Medium body, ABV hidden pretty well. Overall, a pretty tasty brew.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Left Hand's Chainsaw Ale a couple months ago for $9.99 at Boyne Country Provisions. I haven't seen this one around before and I thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottle dating, I think it's from 2014, but I'm not sure. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's goes well with the name and it's eye catching. It poured a murky ruby amber color that took on more of a ruby hue when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of very light tan head that's pretty chunky and it died down to a thin ring that stayed till the and it left some nice rings of patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with some fruity yeast being the first to show up and it's followed by the malts with some caramel malts, sweet malt, toasted malt and brown bread like aromas with no single aspects sticking out the most. Up next comes the hops which impart an herbal, light citrus rind and light soapy aroma. This beer has a nice aroma, but I could go without the soapy aroma.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with that slightly fruity yeast still being the first to show up and it's followed by the malts which impart all the aspects that they did in the aroma with no single aspect seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the hops which show up more on the finish and they impart more of those herbal hops that got in the aroma and they linger into the afteraste with a very light amount of mediun bitterness and some fruity yeast. This is a pretty nice tasting beer, I like the balance.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp. on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel and I thought it worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a good example of the style, I don't think I've ever had a Double ESB, but It tasted just how i would expect a bigger and bolder version of an ESB to taste like and I liked that. This beer had nice drinkability, one or two would be my limit, but I was able to drink the full bottle. What I like the most about this beer is the balance, it was really nice. What I like the least about this beer is the aroma, I wish it didn't have that soapy aspect. I might buy this beer again and I would be interested to see how it ages. I would recommend trying this beer, especially if you like ESB's. All in all I liked this beer, I didn't have the highest expectations, but it tasted pretty good and it lived up to being called a double ESB. It's one of the better Left Hand beers i've had and it's above average for the style. Good job guys this was a pretty tasty beer.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nothing too interesting going on. Doesn't do much to the nose or the taste buds. Kinda boozy.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours ruby chestnut with a slight haze under a cream colored 1” foam collar that grips the side of the glass.
S: Grassy earthy nose with some biscuit.
T: Malty sweetness establishes a beachhead on the palate clearing the way for cardamom, pear, caramel, biscuit and then an assertive hop bitterness.
F: Medium to medium full body and slightly above average carbonation with some pleasant alcohol warming.
O: A big well balanced beer to drink instead of a mixed drink.

2.29/5  rDev -39.7%

The beer was a gorgeous dark color... poured somewhat flat and tasted even worse... I am not sure of I got a bad batch or not but certainly not my cup of tea

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

4.11/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.41/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on-tap at Hop Cat in Detroit, Michigan.

I think a snifter of this was gonna be $10 or $12, so I opted to get a dollar or two sample of it... I'm glad I did. While this beer has an awesome heat I'd expect from a strong ale, and a super nice, fresh hoppiness and ALSO some solid balance, the price is just kind of crazy to me, especially since it's not even barrel-aged or anything. If this were a bit cheaper, I'd probably score it higher, as unfair as that probably is. I really do like the taste of this one though, it just doesn't warrant the price tag -- fresh hops, warming alcohol, nice combo of both sweet and bitter... pretty nice beer.

4.22/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3rd of the night after Raven's loss. Slight step behind Sawtooth, but next time will try side by side, just to be sure.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.86/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.59/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is malts, fruit, toffee and leather. The flavor is fruit, malts, toffee, slightly coarse texture, slight liquor notes, mild alcohol and a tangy/sour finish.

Chainsaw Ale from Left Hand Brewing Company