Twin Sisters Double IPA | Left Hand Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 05-21-2006

Reviews: 240 | Ratings: 465
2.56/5  rDev -32.1%

A very slight haze, but otherwise a middle of the road amber color. Generous head retains well, very light textured head at that.

Nose is on the weaker side - not a lot of big aromatic notes that scream at you. I detect a clean, light citrus such as lemon peel. Very light.

Flavor is alcohol. Oh, besides that... well, let me retaste... Ok there's some hops too, but mostly warm alcohol flavor with a tinge of malt in there. Finish is very warm, from the alcohol. Why was this bottled in such a special way? Shouldn't have made it to production, IMO.

2.74/5  rDev -27.3%

Appearance - This is a clear, light copper ale with a thick white two inch head. Retention is descent.

Smell - Malt dominates with a slight yeast background. Hops while present, were hard to get a hold of.

Taste - Malt sweetness still dominates, with hop bitterness taking a back seat. Slight alchohol.

Mouthfeel - Well rounded, with nice carbonation. Plenty of little bubbles.

Drinkability - Smooth and easygoing, a little cloying.

Overall - This really is more of a pale in character. Hops are way to underdefined for a "Double IPA". The only thing about this ale IPA-like is the alchohol content, weighing in at 9.6% by volume. Probobly won't buy this one again.

2.86/5  rDev -24.1%

A huge beer, here. Pours a light brown/ruby color, topped with a nice looking head. Good retention and lacing.

Aroma = hops and alcohol, with some sweet malt spread in here and there. Balanced, it is not in the aroma. Eye watering.

yeah, hops in the flavor. Pine, some orange peel soaked in alcohol, and candied sugar. This isn't impressing me. If balance was the goal, it was missed--wide right. But, if this is a hop bomb, well done. Although the alcohol makes the hops and bitterness burn. The flavor is lost.

The bite of the hops is negated by huge sugars and alcohol. harsh.
Hard to drink a big bottle...so I didn't finish it.

2.87/5  rDev -23.9%

Extremely disappointed with this brew.

Very cloudy pour with a decent head. Weird looking...

Smells more malty and sweet than hoppy. This is an older bottle and I'm thinking the hop profile is non-existent in this bottle.

Definitely more malty than hoppy. This tastes old and oxidized.

Drain pour....

2.9/5  rDev -23.1%

A - Nice copper. Fast dissipating head.

S - Slight citrus and weak hop aroma. Weak for a DIPA.

T - Malt and hops. More malt than hops. Slightly disappointing.

M - Moderate wight. Suitable carbonation (light)

D - Average. Felt hot.

Not the best, not the worst.

2.96/5  rDev -21.5%

Had this one on tap, poured into a tulip. It has a nice cloudy copper color to it but not much head to speak of, which I found surprising.

As far as aroma goes there was nothing jumping out of the glass and yanking on my nose. I did pick up some grapefruit, and a little sweet malt, but I had to try hard to get that.

The taste is thick and kind of sweet like syrupy malt and fruit cup juice, with a little hop bitterness on the tail-end. The high ABV is most certainly present here.

The mouthfeel is heavy with little carbonation.

Overall, a crashing disappointment.

2.96/5  rDev -21.5%

This beer poured a hazy amber with a head composed of tiny bubbles. This beer's aroma was somewhat hoppy with a lot of caramel maltiness that was reminiscent to me of a maibock. The caramel-ness was over the top and it made me pucker with a very wine-y quality that reminded me of a non-hoppy barleywine and was rather intense. Mouthfeel was pretty smooth. Not bad; I'd weakly recommend it.

A - Copper colored. Pretty darn hazy actually.

S - Very nice and citrusy, but not at high enough levels in my opinion. However, there was some sweetness in the background which came out nicely. I am just wanting more hop aroma. Thats what you expect from an Imperial IPA with the aroma.

T - Not bad. Definitely citrus flavored, but I got sweetness too that was from the malts. Malty flavors are acceptable in this style of beer, but I thought the malty flavor actually out-powered the hoppy flavor. But I have had other IPAs like this one, just not Imperial styled IPAs. It was ok, but not what I expected from a double.

M - Slightly dry mouthfeel, but not really dry. Great carbonation level and decent weight on it. I think the sweetness lent to the mouthfeel the most, which is not what I expected.

D - Not bad, but not great. It was just Average all around. I drank this one, but I guess I was expecting a lot more from it. For an I-IPA, it lacked a stronger hop aroma and a hoppy flavor.

Overall this was a pretty average beer. I mean I probably might buy it again, but there are definitely better beers out there.

Maybe it was just a bad bottle. SOMEONE, QUICK!! RUN ME TO THE BEER STORE TO GET ANOTHER ONE!!

3.06/5  rDev -18.8%

Clear copper. Thick looking dirty white head. Retention is quite good and the frothy top leaves a nice viewing of lace as I drink. The nose is very average. Some perceptible tones of citrus and perfume, but not a lot. And a little pine sap and sweet caramel, but again, not as boastful as a DIPA aroma should be. Onto the palate, I again would like to know where the fuck the hops are?!?! I get a little of that perfumey hop flavor and some sappy tones. Sweet caramel malt base. But none of that great hop flavor. NO good hop burps. They kid about this having 11,428 IBUs on the bottle, but never go on to list the actual IBUs. If I had to guess, I would bet it's not even over 50. I hardly detect a bitterness and that which I do detect can be attributed to the spicy alcohol character. Now after all that ranting, I should say this is a decent beer, just not a DIPA. The malts are more prominent than the hops and the alcohol tones are almost secondary. Leaving hops tertiary.

I may just have to stop trying these "special" caged and corked brews from Left Hand at $13 a pop.

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

This beer was a disappointment for me. Appearance is a bit lighter than i expected (hoped for), the taste was really there, the mouthfeel was a little smooth for a dbl ipa, and overall it was just ehh.

Whatever the ranking just below "good" is, thats how i'd rate this. Definitely drinkable, but just not something id buy again, and felt a bit disappointed.

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

Left Hand Brewing Company Twin Sisters Double IPA Ale 2008-9 Release 22 oz. Bottle. 9.90% ABV. 77 IBU's 3.0 / 5.0 IPA--Double. Bottle Conditioned 2008.Very thin white light lacy head. Hazy bright rich orange gold color. Odd floral hop front. Crisp dry sweet hot thin rich golden ale fully fermented light caramel hop infused citrus pine body. Hot hop spice EtOH end. Unbalanced--Aged Poorly. Sampled2/5/2010. $4.99 Each.

3.09/5  rDev -18%

Look: White bubbly head quickly dissipates. Light carbonation. Clear pale dark orangish.

Smell: Fresh peeled orange. Light pineyness. Slightly floral. Pleasent

Taste: Strong on the Pine. Not to much citrus. Really well balanced for a dipa. Not as complex as I was hoping. Alcohol is a little hot and is really lingers with the aftertaste

Feel: Lighter body than I was expecting. A little creamy.

Overall: Meh. I love Left Hand. One of my favorite breweries. This one falls a little flat. Not bad, not great. Pretty average.

3.09/5  rDev -18%

Fresh, new bomber! It's a yellow/orange colored beer. Thin layered head that quickly disappears and leaves a ring around the glass. Nose disappoints and doesn't deliver any bright hop aromas. Hops are present, but in light volumes, showing only light traces of tropical fruit, herbs and peach, perhaps a little caramel and cookie. Flavor is on the lighter side of the style, in both hop bitterness and hop flavor. Has malt complexity of caramel and dough, with a nice honey-like sweetness. But...there isn't a lot of hop character and what is there is pure bitterness. It's a pretty good beer, but for the style, it misses the mark. I usually don't mention price, but for $ 9.00 a bomber, Left Hand needs to realizes who they are competing with in Colorado (Hopsickle, Pliny, Ruination, Moylander...all cheaper and better examples.) Thing is, it has great potential it seems, but they really need to reconsider the hop schedule.

3.11/5  rDev -17.5%

Enjoyed from the bottle into a small plastic glass during a recent tasting of double IPAs. No freshness date, so no way to tell how old this guy is.

Pours a dull, coppery orange, perfectly clear, with a half-finger head of off-white. It quickly recedes to a very filmy top layer and ring, leaving spotty lace.

In the nose: grainy malt, saltine crackers, flowers and a bit of dried orange peel. Rather sweet, but it strikes interesting balance with the substantial malt character.

The flavor exhibits an increased English hop bitterness; it's rather earthy. Orange peel, light mango, lots of crackers and honey also appear. Not overly bitter.

Rather soft and kind of syrupy across tongue. Numbing, hot alcohol. Medium massaging carb with light fizz.

The only thing that makes this beer seem like a double IPA is the alcohol content. It isn't bad -- just not too impressive.

3.14/5  rDev -16.7%

This is my first review on BA...I hope I adhere to the rules (and would appreciate personal feedback to me on my critiquing)

The appearance of the beer and my love for IPA's were my two deciding factors for buying the Twin Sisters Double IPA. It opens and pours relatively easily. It has a nice brownish-gold color to it.

The smell was average and seemed "darker" from other IPA's I have tasted. The first taste confirmed my smell, but it still has a decent flavor to it with a non-combative aftertaste (doesn't linger in a bad way). It's a good start-off drink to your night, but I wouldn't be having it all night long. The price was very competitive too, which I felt was a plus. Overall, I would buy it again, but only if I were in the mood.

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured from bomber to pint glass.

A - The beer pours a translucent copper color with a 1/2 finger slightly off-white color. Some retention and lacing.

S - So much malt it's biscuity, similar to the Warrior IPA. There is a bit of floral aroma and earthy hops, but dominated by malty boozy sweetness.

T/M - The beer starts off with a medium earthy bitterness. The beer develops into a sweet malt character along with a somewhat fruity tone: citrus, honey, biscuit. Not as bitter as it seemed at first. The beer finishes syrupy and hot. Too much alcohol in my opinion. Medium carbonation and medium bodied.

D - Meh.

Overall, this wasn't what I as expecting for the style, which seems to be synonymous with Left Hand's beers. Not a fan.

Reviewed on: 03-07-2011 14:47:33

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Aroma is somewhat subdued with mild pine mixed with carmelized malts to balance it out, nothing really note-worthy here.
The tastes begin with strong orange peel, tropical fruitiness, and a rough pine and herb to give it a good punch. As prevalent as the malt was in the nose, it lacks in the taste making this too overly bitter for me to enjoy more than a pint of. For as much alcohol as in this, the sweetness is not very detectable, which some people enjoy, but I do not because I like a more balanced DIPA. Overall this is a bitter bomb, which is not for me, but is loved by many.

3.21/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Nice big bottle, corked and well presented, pour produced a 2 finger width head.
S: Not the best smelling IPA ive ever been around, reminded me of a smelly bog.
T: Nice balance here, not overly bitter, nor malty.
M: A tad dry on the drink, left a little to be desired in terms of alternate flavors.
D:had the whole bottle to my self and was able to finish it.

3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

A - Hazy orange straw with some white head but no lacing

S - Clean floral hops dominate the nose

T - Good balance of flavor and bitter hops. Little bit of malt in the back

M - Medium body with light carbonation

D - Not bad but not great. Worth trying but I probably wouldn't pick up another.

3.26/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured it from a 22oz. bottle into a tulip glass. It came out hazy to a deep orange with just a bit of head at the top.

It is towards the end of the night, but i don't really get much of a smell. Slight citrus and pine,I also get a bit of sweetness, but bad nose.

The taste has slight malt and hops with a bitterness tinge to the tongue, and a slight piney after taste. Also, end of the night.

This is definitely a drinkable beer. Doesn't really taste like a double. It's not overly hopping or danky. It's clean. Feels session-able. also, end of the night.

Overall, In a sea of IPAs and DIPAs I would search for one that punches me in the gut and makes me take notice, but I would definitely think of this beer if I was hanging out with some who "doesn't like beer."

3.28/5  rDev -13%

22oz bottle into MS cervoise

This beer pours a murky to clear tinted yellow with good white head retention and nice ringed lacing after every sip. Smell is acidic and citric, mostly lemon. Taste is of off piney hops, lemon, orange. You can really taste the alcohol in this one and it detracts from the hops and fruits usually found in DIPAs. I also expected some sweetness from the malt but didn't find hardly any. Mouthfeel is thin and hot from the alcohol. Decent enough and easy to drink but I think there are way better offerings out there. Still like Left Hand, just not this one that much.

3.29/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours out a slight amber color with lots of effervescence but only slight foam. Some lacing around the glass.
Smell is pine resin and sugar malts. As it warms you get a little bit of grapefruit. Not a lot of nose here.
Taste is bitter dark hop and a sugary malt that taste like two row smells when it is cooking.
Mouthfeel is very clean and there is just a tad of bitter aftertaste that soon leaves the palate.
Good beer for a juicy rare steak. Otherwise this one is a little plane for a double IPA.

3.32/5  rDev -11.9%

A: Pours a nice hazy reddish/orange color. A thin and bubbly white head forms. The foam gently recedes to a ring and leaves some lace.
S: Big floral, grassy, and citrus aromas up front. There is a nice herbal, green tea like aroma. A sweetness lingers to balanced everything out.
T: This is odd. Kind of nondescript, dank and musky hops. A big sweetness of candy sugar. There is a light grainy quality as well. Odd dry wood lingers with a fairly strong bitterness. Just odd all around, and nothing meshes well.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Crisp snap with a nice dry feeling. Plenty of alcohol that makes for a slow sipping beer.

This is just an odd beer. Interesting, but nothing really meshes right for me. Worth a try, but will not be a repeat by for me.

3.32/5  rDev -11.9%

pours a clear pale amber with a small off white head, very good lacing.

smell is of caramel, roasted nuts, slight citrus, and some leaves.

taste is smooth and thick, loads of hops, caramel, light grapefruit, pine, and woodiness in the back, end very bitter.

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

A ~ Pours dark orange with great lacing.

S ~ Sticky orange slices, wet leaves, graham crackers...Malt-forward for sure. Very full aromas.

T ~ Malt! Earthy, Slightly sweet, & heavy on the Barley, lending biscuits & burnt caramel. Notes of Tangerine pith, orange zest, & apricot...there is a bit of Basil-like herbyness that was off putting on the finish. Hops are citric, but buried beneath dopey amounts of malt. Not feelin' it.

M ~ Sticky, sweet, & prickly. Should be more dry than it currently stands. Not very balanced.

D ~ One & done. Probably would not buy again or reccomend, but I am very glad I tried this one as I have wanted to for a long time. I prefer the Warrior much more.

Twin Sisters Double IPA from Left Hand Brewing Company