Twin Sisters Double IPA | Left Hand Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Twin Sisters Double IPATwin Sisters Double IPA

Added by Todd on 05-21-2006

1.5/5  rDev -60.3%

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

2.56/5  rDev -32.3%

A very slight haze, but otherwise a middle of the road amber color. Generous head retains well, very light textured head at that.

Nose is on the weaker side - not a lot of big aromatic notes that scream at you. I detect a clean, light citrus such as lemon peel. Very light.

Flavor is alcohol. Oh, besides that... well, let me retaste... Ok there's some hops too, but mostly warm alcohol flavor with a tinge of malt in there. Finish is very warm, from the alcohol. Why was this bottled in such a special way? Shouldn't have made it to production, IMO.

2.74/5  rDev -27.5%

Appearance - This is a clear, light copper ale with a thick white two inch head. Retention is descent.

Smell - Malt dominates with a slight yeast background. Hops while present, were hard to get a hold of.

Taste - Malt sweetness still dominates, with hop bitterness taking a back seat. Slight alchohol.

Mouthfeel - Well rounded, with nice carbonation. Plenty of little bubbles.

Drinkability - Smooth and easygoing, a little cloying.

Overall - This really is more of a pale in character. Hops are way to underdefined for a "Double IPA". The only thing about this ale IPA-like is the alchohol content, weighing in at 9.6% by volume. Probobly won't buy this one again.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

2.86/5  rDev -24.3%

A huge beer, here. Pours a light brown/ruby color, topped with a nice looking head. Good retention and lacing.

Aroma = hops and alcohol, with some sweet malt spread in here and there. Balanced, it is not in the aroma. Eye watering.

yeah, hops in the flavor. Pine, some orange peel soaked in alcohol, and candied sugar. This isn't impressing me. If balance was the goal, it was missed--wide right. But, if this is a hop bomb, well done. Although the alcohol makes the hops and bitterness burn. The flavor is lost.

The bite of the hops is negated by huge sugars and alcohol. harsh.
Hard to drink a big bottle...so I didn't finish it.

2.87/5  rDev -24.1%

Extremely disappointed with this brew.

Very cloudy pour with a decent head. Weird looking...

Smells more malty and sweet than hoppy. This is an older bottle and I'm thinking the hop profile is non-existent in this bottle.

Definitely more malty than hoppy. This tastes old and oxidized.

Drain pour....

2.9/5  rDev -23.3%

A - Nice copper. Fast dissipating head.

S - Slight citrus and weak hop aroma. Weak for a DIPA.

T - Malt and hops. More malt than hops. Slightly disappointing.

M - Moderate wight. Suitable carbonation (light)

D - Average. Felt hot.

Not the best, not the worst.

2.96/5  rDev -21.7%

Had this one on tap, poured into a tulip. It has a nice cloudy copper color to it but not much head to speak of, which I found surprising.

As far as aroma goes there was nothing jumping out of the glass and yanking on my nose. I did pick up some grapefruit, and a little sweet malt, but I had to try hard to get that.

The taste is thick and kind of sweet like syrupy malt and fruit cup juice, with a little hop bitterness on the tail-end. The high ABV is most certainly present here.

The mouthfeel is heavy with little carbonation.

Overall, a crashing disappointment.

2.96/5  rDev -21.7%

This beer poured a hazy amber with a head composed of tiny bubbles. This beer's aroma was somewhat hoppy with a lot of caramel maltiness that was reminiscent to me of a maibock. The caramel-ness was over the top and it made me pucker with a very wine-y quality that reminded me of a non-hoppy barleywine and was rather intense. Mouthfeel was pretty smooth. Not bad; I'd weakly recommend it.

A - Copper colored. Pretty darn hazy actually.

S - Very nice and citrusy, but not at high enough levels in my opinion. However, there was some sweetness in the background which came out nicely. I am just wanting more hop aroma. Thats what you expect from an Imperial IPA with the aroma.

T - Not bad. Definitely citrus flavored, but I got sweetness too that was from the malts. Malty flavors are acceptable in this style of beer, but I thought the malty flavor actually out-powered the hoppy flavor. But I have had other IPAs like this one, just not Imperial styled IPAs. It was ok, but not what I expected from a double.

M - Slightly dry mouthfeel, but not really dry. Great carbonation level and decent weight on it. I think the sweetness lent to the mouthfeel the most, which is not what I expected.

D - Not bad, but not great. It was just Average all around. I drank this one, but I guess I was expecting a lot more from it. For an I-IPA, it lacked a stronger hop aroma and a hoppy flavor.

Overall this was a pretty average beer. I mean I probably might buy it again, but there are definitely better beers out there.

Maybe it was just a bad bottle. SOMEONE, QUICK!! RUN ME TO THE BEER STORE TO GET ANOTHER ONE!!

Twin Sisters Double IPA from Left Hand Brewing Company