Left Hand Oktoberfest | Left Hand Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
lefthandbrewing.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

This is no festivus for the restivus, on the contrary, we start brewing in the spring and it takes a full two months to reach lagered perfection. Biscuity, malty goodness dominates upfront while the noble pedigree hops lend a properly spicy, dry finish.

Added by rowew on 08-22-2006

Ratings: 1,220 |  Reviews: 442

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

4.75/5  rDev +27%

4.34/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Another good Oktoberfest to enjoy this fall. I am a fan of Oktoberfest's, this one did not disappoint. An amber, rich copper color, good off white head, great lacing. Smelled of caramel malt, a nuttiness in there. Taste was just the right balance of everything in an Oktoberfest, there was the slight sweetness offset with the bitterness, nice crispness. Over all one of my new favorites

3.74/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I got a bottle of Left Hand's Oktoberfest that my friend Ben brought over for me to try. I'm always down to try an Oktoberfest that I haven't tried before and i'm interested to see how this one is, so lets see how it goes. 2013 release. Poured from a brow 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty good, I like it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a fairly clear darker caramel color that took on some amber hues when held to the light with two and half fingers worth of off white head that quickly faded away and left a little lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, but I thought the head faded rather quickly.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness and a lot of malty aromas with some bready, toasted malts, and some light caramel malt aromas coming through. Up next comes a slight nutty aroma with just a slight alcohol aroma. The aroma was pretty nice, the alcohol could have been a little more hidden, but other than that it was pretty true to style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of malts which impart some toasted malts and bready aroma with bread crust seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some light herbal hops that impart a very light amount of medium bitterness that's right on the border of being lightly bitter and it has a really malty and bread crust like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer that was pretty true to style.

M- Smooth, pretty clean, slightly sticky, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and an above average example of the style, it was pretty true to style and it had most of the things that I look for in a good Marzen, This beer had nice drinkability, it's a little strong for the style but it was still pretty smooth and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I don't think it would be a problem for me to drink a couple of these. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was pretty nice, true to style and I liked how clean it was. What I liked the least about this beer was the alcohol, I think it should be toned down just a little to make this even more true to style. I would buy this again next year, I'm not sure I would get a whole six pack. but I'm sure I would revisit it again and it's priced well. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style, All in all I thought this was a pretty solid example of an Oktoberfest, it's not my favorite of the style, but it's still pretty above average. Good job Left Hand, this is a worthy Oktoberfest.

3.96/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz bottle poured into a Seidel.

A - Medium sized cap of off-white head falls to a ring around the glass. Color is on the dark end of the guidelines; dark amber. Perfect clarity but no lacing.

S - Layered toasted malt grazes the spectrum of caramel. Robust with some sweetness. Clean fermentation.

T - Very dense/rich toasty malt right up front and well into the taste. Shows a short glimpse of sweetness. Spicy hop flavor meshes with a breath of alcohol at the finish. Bitterness is moderate and balances well.

M - Medium body, medium to medium-light carbonation, short and sweet in the middle yet dry finish.

O - Solid interpretation. Good looking beer, great fresh and rich flavor. Aroma seemed to be a little too heavy on crystal malt. The heftiness is appreciated because some Marzens undershoot for drinkability sake. Alcohol continues to creep into the aftertaste more and more as temperature rises.

Judgement - Try

3.74/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

first time having this, 12oz bottle with no date

look is a sorta cloudy pumpkin color with a ring of foam. smell is light and pleasant: pulpy pumpkin, some spice, sweet caramel malt. there is a slight burnt flavor (and some of that dry leaves going on) but it's mostly clean and not too sweet or spiced.

Left Hand Oktoberfest from Left Hand Brewing Company