Left Hand Milk Stout | Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
lefthandbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

ROASTED MALT AND COFFEE FLAVORS BUILD THE FOUNDATION OF THIS CREAMY SWEET STOUT.

Milk sugar in your stout is like cream in your coffee. Dark and delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. “Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment.” Udderly delightful.

Collection: Perennial
Style: Sweet Stout
Color: Black, 47 SRM
Body: full
ABV: 6%
IBU's: 25
PLATO: 15.5°
PKG: 6-Pack, Keg
Malt: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roasted Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and US Goldings
Other: Lactose

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002

Reviews: 1,752 | Ratings: 6,765
4.35/5  rDev +11%

I poured the LH Milk Stout into an oversized pint glass. A one finger tan head is the result of a rough pour. The head disappears quickly, and leaves nice leopard spot lacing on the glass. It pours very dark, even held up to the light there is nothing to be seen on the other side.

All notes of rich milk chocolate in the nose.

Smooth and slightly tangy in the front, roasty and slightly bitter in the middle, crisp finish. As it warms the hops really come out in the finish, and the crispness turns into a nice bitterness.

As it warms, the mouthfeel gets more complex. It starts out thin and creamy. Very smooth. Then the hops get more prominent as it warms and creates a nice balance to the sweetness.

This is definitely one I’ll go back to. One of the best sweet/milk stouts I’ve had the pleasure of trying.

2.43/5  rDev -38%

A: Finger and a half of dense, frothy head. Nearly black with some deep reddish hues around the edges

S: This is where the bottle goes bad, and I think that I may have gotten a tainted bottle so take the rest of my review for what it's worth. Aroma reminds me of Guinness, with some light chocolate and something a bit off in the background.

T: Taste is also very similar to Guinness Draught with a bit of roastiness and tobacco smoothness. Slight alcoholic and bitter finish. Very unpleasant sour, almost bile-like flavors in there as well which make it nearly undrinkable.

M: Mouthfeel is smooth but very thing and flat.

D: I'm giving the beer the benefit of the doubt and raising my scores a bit to adjust for the possibility of a tainted bottle, regretfully this was the last single on the shelf when I mixed up the sixer. Hopefully I can get this in the future and adjust my review accordingly!

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

I'd like to first say that I am a dark beer nut, so to find a stout I haven't tried is awesome.

Overall I enjoyed this stout, it is not in my top 10, but a solid brew. The color was deep and dark just like it should be, head was a little flat for this type of stout though. Milk Stouts are known for their high head.

This beer to me could have used alot more depth of flavor though, it was entirely refreshing, which is great, but not characteristic of a stout. I feel like I could drink a six-pack and wish there was another in the fridge.

It does have some good coffee undertones and some caramel toward the end. Overall rating is that this is a good brew to buy if you've never had it just to get it under your belt.

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance is stark black. Looks slightly thin. Thick tan-colored head.
Smells very smoky. I can also smell almost a chocolate milk smell to it.
Taste is thick chocolate malts. The smokey taste followed by a tad bit of sweetness leaving your throat a little dry for another sip.
Good mouthfeel. Thick and smooth.
Very drinkable. Could have many of these, until they start to hit the head.

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, Color was a dark brown almost black with little light passing through. Little head and almost no lacing.

Smell was majority of chocolate with some coffee

Initial taste has both chocolates and coffee

Mouthfeel was a little lighter than expected

Was very drinkable and will drink the second one following this review.

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Sample through Brewfan and Secret Santa BIF 2007.

Clear but very dark brown co9lored beer with a nice light brown head. Not black but this is very close to light proof.

Smell is sweet with a nice strong chocolate aroma. Nice patent malt aroma but it is very much mellowed out and not raw or acrid. Slight coffee traces but it really isn't that strong a smell.

The taste begins sweet and mellow with a mix of chocolate and malt roast in the aftertaste and a trace of smoke. Tastes something like chocolate soda and milk. Not complex but solid and good.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Milk stouts are by nature very drinkable beers and this one is no exception. Outstandingly easy to drink, probably could give this to kids and they would like it.

4.11/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours very dark with a smaller off white head, and average lacing. The smell is quite sweet with a good whiff of coco and some roasted malts. The taste has a big hit of milk chocolate and light espresso. Tails off into some roasted malts with a bit of grains sticking out at the end. The mouthfeel is interesting feeling a bit thick in my mouth, but going down like a much lighter brew. The drinkability is good due to the lightness presented. My first beer from left hand, and my first "Milk Stout" I am happy with both

3.06/5  rDev -21.9%

(28-12-2007- BB 08-08)

A: pours a black color with a small head.
S: burnt malts, coffee, a bit of sweetness,hop and spicy elements.
T&M: medium strong, but not heavy body. sweet bitter taste with burnt and smoked pallets.
D: my first milk stout, a descent beer but I prefer my stout with more bitterness

4.43/5  rDev +13%

From a 12oz bottle that I copped for about $1.69, this spectacular brew from the Left Hand company was simply outrageous... this was perhaps one of the best milk stouts I've ever sampled - bursting with flavor... appearance was a nice opaque, dark color that poured a nice frothy head... smell was full of cocoa and espresso... the taste was awesome... a strong espresso / coffee flavor that was resoundingly profound, even after a couple of brews... the flavor is a strong, rich, mocha coffee flavor with a robust espresso taste that was very noticeable... a delicious brew that was easily drinkable and had a great mouthfeel... will certainly try more beers from this brewery... a great example of the style and definitely recommended...

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

My second favorite beverage from Left Hand,the Blackjack Porter being the first.This is an exceptional Milk Stout,both flavourful and easy to drink.I enjoy this with a Punch cigar whenever I get the chance,and would recommend this to anyone that likes Stouts.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

My first taste of Left Hand's Milk Stout was very good. It pours very dark, puts up an off-white head, and releases sweet n' malty scents with a touch of roasty notes.

Flavor presents a fine brew of dark malts and milk sugars, the latter of which takes the edge off the grain bill. Carbonation and mouthfeel are good. This one is very balanced, which makes for a very approachable milk stout. If you want a good session stout, this might be the right choice.

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured a dark rich color with very little head, but that is what I've come to expect from Taco Mac. It was very creamy and full bodied; I could sense the milk sugars in there. Not an overly complex flavour however, and about mid-way through it became old and redundant. Maybe it would help to eat at the same time, mix things up a bit.

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%

12/20/07- Purchased at Sun Devil Liquors in Mesa, AZ.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with a born on date on the bottle. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance- Black semi-frothy bubbled pour. Smaller 1/4 inch head with a light bubbly rim remaining. Leaves slight lace remains.

Smell- Nice smell of chocolate dusting and jarred coffee grounds. Sweetness comes through well.

Taste- Great milky sweetness. Kinda of like hot chocolate, but it's cold. Room temp is definitely preffered to fridge temp as I found out. Coaco malt with full milk, added with just a splash of coffee.

Mouthfeel- A touch overcarbonated, medium to fuller mouthfeel. A tad chewy and syrupy.

Drinkability- Very easy drinker. Wish we had Left Hand out on the west coast. Heck, I wish we had any milk stout this good on the west coast. Buy a 4 pack and not just a single.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark brown, basically black beer poured into a pint glass with a few centimetres of tan head that slowly falls to a thin whisp. A touch of sporadic lacing.
S - Roasty malts, sweet chocolate, some hints of bitter chocolate and coffee.
T - Like the smell but even better. More full on and still wonderfully balanced.
M - Full bodied without being too rich and sweet. Low to medium carbonation.
D - I think the best stout I have had so far. Very flavoursome but a ABV% that is still in the sessionable region.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice dark almost black color with a tan head that has some staying power. Not much lace.

S - Chocolate and coffee scents are fairly strong.

T - Soooo smooth. Roasted coffee and dark chocolate flavors. Rich and creamy.

M - Really smooth full bodied beer. Great finish.

D - I like this beer a lot. This is a great stout that you can drink a couple and enjoy each one more than the last.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

This just happened to be in a recent sixer of Polestar Pilsner I purchased. Been meaning to give it a try for a while, so this was quite propitious. Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a slight tan head that dissipates fairly quickly with not much lacing to speak of. Smells of dark chocolate, burnt wood, and some slight caramel sweetness coming through. Taste is very complex with some sugary syrup, roasted almonds, malts, creamy milkiness and chocolate at the forefront, and some toffee in the background. Thick and somewhere between medium and full-bodied with none of that watered down feel some stouts and porters can tend to give you. This is a full-on surprise of a beer and one of my new faves.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

On-tap 12/5/07 at Doherty’s East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a short brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of dark chocolate, roasted coffee and dark malts.

T: The taste is very creamy and milky, with flavors of dark chocolate and coffee. It’s very sweet and malt as well. The hops presence is very mild but it works well for this beer. The after-taste is quite sweet.

M: Very smooth with a little crispness, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, sticky finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down easy, a little filling, mild kick, good representation of style, it’s a nice stout that I could drink a few of until I get too full and one of the better stouts that I’ve had.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

For myself, this is one incredible brew. The nose is amazing...full of chocolate expresso bean aroma. The taste is nothing less than phenomenal and the finish is one of the best of any beer that I've tasted. Very balanced.

This will definitely be stocked in my fridge.

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours as black as my heart into the mug...with cocoa colored lace...

Smells of roasted cacao beans...

Roasted dark chocolate...coffee...with a cream toffee center....One is reminded of the those chocolate cow tails...the cocoa coated vainilla twists...

Heavy...creamy...this is a substantial beer...chewy...delicious... Jack wouldn't have traded this cow for any beans!...

Perfect beer for an after dinner treat...especially during the Holidays...A great converstation warmer too...

4.87/5  rDev +24.2%

The bottle says bottled on 08/29/07 so it is 4 months old now.

Pours a dark brown. Has a thick frothy off white head that sticks around. Great lacing with some chuncks on the side of the glass.

The smell is exceptional!!! Smells of expresso beans, milk chocolate, pepper, taffy, hops, and lots more.

Taste is MMM!!! YUMMM>>> Comparable to Moylands stout. I love this one. Bitter hop balanced by very sweet chocolate malts. Espresso beans coffie and hot chocolate flavors all wraped up in a very smooth dry charachter. The only complaint is it seems a little thin to me. I could drink way to many of these.

YUMMMY! Just how a stout should be.

Note: Every thing I have tasted by left hand has been exceptional. I love the brewery as my top 5.

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%

Everything I love in a beer. Nice roasty toasty malts.

Not an exceedingly large head, but a nice brownish tint typical of dark beers. Everything I would expect. Taking a whiff of it took me to another world smelling all those malty aroma. The tast actually had more bite than I expected. I was expecting something a little more sweeter.

Overall a great buy. After having been recomended it nearly 2 years ago, I was finally able to track it down. Definately a repeat buy. Perfect for this cold New England weather we have got going.

EIDT - I take it back. After drinking it some more, I am definately getting that sweetness. Very well done Left Hand!

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

I had a pint of Left Hand in Denver at Old Chicago's - another highly praised beer that I am getting to try for the first time.
Dark black color with a thick and creamy head. Good retention and nice looking brownish lacing left behind. The way a good stout should look (with out the aid of a nitro widget). I really like smelling this one, aromas increased as it warmed. Roasted malt, some coffee and chocolate. Taste mirrored the smells, very nice. Toasted grains, a bit of smoke or charcoal, cocoa beans. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel with just the right amount of sweetness. Very drinkable, could have sat and enjoyed this all afternoon.
I thought is was a very good example of a milk stout.

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%

Presentation: Poured from a growler filled at the brewery. I've had this on tap and from the bottle many times as well though - and enjoyed it in all forms.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown/black color with just a hint of ruby around the edges. Thin head and just a bit of lacing.

Smell: Coffee and a bit of sweetness, some cocoa.

Taste: Medium body, smooth mouthfeel. Lots of cocoa flavors here as well, just a bit of roasted, and the right amount of sweetness.

Overall impression: This is definitely what a milk stout should be. One of my favorite offerings from left hand, and one of the best examples of the style.

3.77/5  rDev -3.8%

I have had this one in the bottle today its on draft baby.

A: Dark black in color with a nice khaki head. Minimal lacing left behind.

S: Nice aroma of toasted malt, coffee and milk chocolate.

T: Very nice. I love a good milk stout, and this one is just that. It is a well crafted stout with hints of hot cocoa.

M: Smooth and creamy.

D: Not bad I seemed to have liked it a bit more out of the bottle.

Overall: A good example of a milk stout. It's not the best in the world but pretty good. It has a nice level of sweetness and malt, chocolate and coffee. I really like this beer. It is not the greatest stout in the world, but is a real nice drinker

3.89/5  rDev -0.8%

a-dark brown, 1 finger of head

s-very sweet smelling, with a light raw oat smell,

t-very good taste, with a light vanilla flavor, extremly smooth

m-easy to drink, very smooth, and a nice long after taste.

d- def hard to stop at one and stout i enjoy, oh wait, smooth

Left Hand Milk Stout from Left Hand Brewing Company