Left Hand Milk Stout | Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
lefthandbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

ROASTED MALT AND COFFEE FLAVORS BUILD THE FOUNDATION OF THIS CREAMY SWEET STOUT.

Milk sugar in your stout is like cream in your coffee. Dark and delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. “Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment.” Udderly delightful.

Collection: Perennial
Style: Sweet Stout
Color: Black, 47 SRM
Body: full
ABV: 6%
IBU's: 25
PLATO: 15.5°
PKG: 6-Pack, Keg
Malt: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roasted Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and US Goldings
Other: Lactose

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002

Ratings: 6,824 |  Reviews: 1,764
4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.72/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a 6 pack of the nitro milk stout from the local Binnys

A- I poured this bottle into a pint glass rather ferociously. I watched this beer "dance" for a moment while the head slowly formed. It had about one finger of creamy tan head. Good retention on it and left some nice lacing.

S- The smell was pleasant, but didn't blow me away. Malty, sweet aromas come forward. A little bit of a roasty coffee and chocolate smell as well.

T- Had a good solid stout taste. A nice amount of chocolate flavor, as well as roasted malts.

M- Very smooth, creamy mouthfeel. The nitro makes this beer very drinkable. It is well balanced and tasty.

O- A very tasty stout that is easy to drink. I was pleased with this one and look forward to having it again.

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I figured I'd pick up a six-pack of this for a few reasons. My last six pack was something light and hoppy, so I was in the mood to go in an opposite direction, summer be damned. Also I happen to be a lefty, so the thought of Left Hand beer filled my withered little heart with childish glee. I went ahead and got myself some Milk Stout Nitro, presented in a twelve ounce bottle with a freshness date stamped on the bottle (best before 9/9/2013, wow, a craft beer that wasn't on it's death bed for once, I hate the stores here so much.)

Following the directions printed on the bottle cap (keep cold, pour hard) I poured it into a chilled glass and found myself with two fingers of frothy tan/cream-colored head and some nice carbonation directly after the pour, though there's less than I imagined there would be once it's been allowed to sit undisturbed for a moment. Head retention is good but not spectacular. I have about three quarters of a finger of head left after five minutes, but there's moderately thick lacing left on the side of the glass after a small sip. It's sticky, thanks to the extra lactose in the beer. Color is pure black, so dark that light doesn't shine through. This is gonna be a doozy.

Smell is sweet, a little reminiscent of Guinness, but a little less burnt toast and more butterscotch; there's also a little bit of earthiness and just the slightest bit of hop aroma, almost untraceable with my sub-par schnoz. On the taste, the roasted barley flavor is instantly noticeable, but not overwhelming at all; I taste some dark toast and of course coffee, and a little bit of earth again and some smoke. There's lactose sweetness, but it's more complimentary to the other flavors. This beer is rich and robust, and has a nice complex flavor profile that doesn't try to be too much. Aftertaste is of dark chocolate immediately, a little bit of alcohol, and then it turns to a little bit of hop bitterness and some toffee notes.

Mouthfeel is robust and heavy, the way I think a stout should be; it's creamy and a little bit sticky, but with minimal carbonation, which is fine, since the burn of carbonation would probably just hurt this beer's character.

Overall I'm really enjoying this beer; I went out on a limb with this one, since I'd never had anything from this brewery and wasn't sure about a milk stout, but overall I'm impressed with this. I'm sure there are better stouts, but this one is near the top of the list. I'll be sure to check out some of Left Hand's other beers soon.

EDIT: no wonder this beer is so rich and sticky. Not only does it contain lactose, but, after reading the ingredients list on the label again, I found that they included some flaked oats as well. A very nice touch.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%