Left Hand Milk Stout | Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
lefthandbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

ROASTED MALT AND COFFEE FLAVORS BUILD THE FOUNDATION OF THIS CREAMY SWEET STOUT.

Milk sugar in your stout is like cream in your coffee. Dark and delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. “Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment.” Udderly delightful.

Collection: Perennial
Style: Sweet Stout
Color: Black, 47 SRM
Body: full
ABV: 6%
IBU's: 25
PLATO: 15.5°
PKG: 6-Pack, Keg
Malt: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roasted Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and US Goldings

Alströms:

Ratings: 6,843 |  Reviews: 1,769
3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours almost black with a creamy tan head. Good retention. Smells of roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee. Rich and creamy in the mouth. Tastes roasty and sweet. Some sweet creamy coffee flavor. Finishes a little more bitter than it starts. Very nice.

A very good, easy to find stout.

4.55/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass. Pours black with a creamy, dark tan head. There is excellent head retention with some lacing left on the side of the glass as the head slowly dissipates. A little less than a finger length of head remains atop the beer. There are aromas of dark roasted barley malt, milk chocolate, and coffee. The smells are definitely indicative of what a stout should be. The taste does follow the nose with the milk chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee notes coming through. The flavors of this beer are well balanced. The body is full with just the right amount of carbonation. The beer is smooth and creamy. The drinkability is very high. This is an excellent stout that hits all the right notes.

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

4.17/5  rDev +4.5%

12oz bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It appears black until held to light. Ruby and crimson highlights are visible. A thick cap of mocha head settles at about an inch.

S - Big chocolaty and coffee smells meet my nose. This is what a stout should smell like.

T - The taste doesn't quite live up to the aroma. I get creamy chocolate and some black coffee. I swear I get a sweet fruity taste in the middle. It leaves my palate before I can place it.

M - Full and creamy. I think the creaminess mutes the flavors slightly.

O - Great beer. I tried it a couple weeks ago and liked it so much that I went out and purchased it. It is a very good milk stout.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

Very roasty smell with some sweetness and chocolate coffee tones as well. Nice head and deep black color begs to be drank.

More of the same flavors on the initial taste up front and a very unique dry, clean taste in the back. Delicious! Very nice! ABV is well hidden and it is just super smoooth! So good!

Cant say enough good things about this stout. Its gotta be my favorite!

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

3.87/5  rDev -3%

I have had this beer before, but wasn't impressed. Jake, when we were at Jungle Jim's, bought a six pack of the Nitro. He drank it room temperature and said it was incredible. I doubted him until I saw a single bottle at the store. I grabbed the Nitro and it was… incredible. It has been a long time since I have tried the Milk Stout, but I am excited to see if my impressions have changed since having the Nitro.

In the Glass: The beer is black as night in the glass. I expect that from any stout. Until I did some research on this one, I didn't realize this beer didn't have dairy in it. Being called a "milk" stout, I figured it had some dairy in it. Learn something new every day!

Nose: It smells like a sweet, chocolaty stout should. We are drinking this right out of the fridge, which like most beers is a mistake, but I am letting it sit there and warm up a little before tasting it. Beers like this, depending on the ABV and the overall thickness of the beer, can easily be served as a dessert.

Flavor: Having had the Nitro a few weeks ago, I am glad that this one came later. Now it gives me a whole new respect for what a good stout should taste like. From what I remember, this beer wasn't that good. It didn't have a lot of flavor and was very weak in terms of the aroma and the overall taste. I was wrong. Whoa. This beer is loaded with sweets that end with the expected dryness of an Irish stout.

Mouthfeel: It has a little bit of carbonation up front, but then smooths out and leaves a velvety mouthfeel as you swallow. The beer also opens up as you swish it around in your mouth begging for those additional flavors. I can imagine this beer tastes better warm. Good call Jake!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is weak compared to the flavors you get when drinking… but the dryness that takes over is worth it. The dryness was unexpected, and while I want the sweetness to stick around, the dryness is a nice change of pace. I like it!

This beer rocks. I have to admit, I went in thinking this beer would suck. It doesn't. It is loaded with flavor. I almost think it has more flavor than the Nitro. The Nitro is better, in terms of mouthfeel and just the overall experience that you get… but this one isn't far behind. I like it, and while I walk around the house saying, "Moo"… bottoms up!

4.75/5  rDev +19%

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

4.16/5  rDev +4.3%

Deep brown pour, beautiful 3-4 inch head with extremely fine froth, fantastic lacing, with bubbles cascading up from the bottom - really top notch in the appearance department. Smell of roasted barley and brown sugar. Taste much the same though the malts had an odd bitterness that I felt detracted from all the other wonderful flavors going on here, vanilla, coffee, and milk chocolate. The mouthfeel was outrageously smooth, one of the smoothest brews I've ever had, would absolutely get again.

Left Hand Milk Stout from Left Hand Brewing Company