Smoke Jumper Smoked Imperial Porter | Left Hand Brewing Company

lefthandbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Added by GCBrewingCo on 12-19-2006

1.46/5  rDev -64%

Chilled bottle into a glass, split at a tasting.

A: Pours a black body with a surprisingly high mocha-colored head (for such a small pour). Retention is pretty good, and the head does not vanish while I'm sipping. Leaves clumps of foam on the sides of the glass.

S: Smoked ham and bandaids. Also, chocolate and coffee.

T: Smoked ham. And bandaids. Almost as an afterthought, chocolate in the mid-taste with a coffee bean finish.

M: Like having medium-bodied smoked ham in my mouth, supported on a generous wash of moderate bandaid carbonation. The bandaids really hide the ABV well.

D: If I ever want smoked ham and bandaids, I know where to look. Pretty sweet.

Seriously though, a very strange beer. I don't think a single person at the tasting liked this.

1.75/5  rDev -56.8%

2.25/5  rDev -44.4%

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

2.69/5  rDev -33.6%

I do NOT understand all the good reviews of this beer. While it had a considerable smoke odor to it, it tastes like liquid BACON! I downed a glass and it was beyond enough. As much as I love bacon, it was not a beer I would ever drink again. On another side though, it would make a great base for braising or slow cooking a roast or maybe even a pork shoulder. I would at least tell you to sample it if possible, thank God for WoB in this case. Beyond the sample though, I do NOT recommend drinking this brew, unless you really like liquid bacon.

2.87/5  rDev -29.1%

750 ml corked and caged bottle that was shared by seaoflament a few minutes before the Port 2nd Anniversary party started, thanks a lot for letting me try this brew from Colorado

A-Very dark brown with some red highlights, small 1/2 inch light tan head that did not stay around for long, not much retention or lacing

S-Smokiness, aroma kind of scared me because I would not have enjoyed the taste at all if it was like the smell, dark chocolate, roasted malts, salt, and beef jerky

T-Smoked malt is what I tasted first, then roastiness in the middle with some almonds, dark chocolate in the finish and a hint of smokiness, faded into a dry aftertaste, did not change much and this could be mainly because I drank my sample within fifteen minutes or so, pretty well balanced for a smoked beer and it was not too overpowering thankfully

M-Smoky, meaty, and dry mouthfeel, medium level of carbonation, medium to full bodied, taste lingered too long for me

D-Could not have drank more than the few ounces Carlos gave me, heavy on the stomach, smoked beers are just hard to get down in general, ABV is high and can slightly taste it in the finish

Not a big of fan of smoked beers but this one was more subtle than others I have tried in the past, probably would not drink again mainly because this is not my thing, worth trying though

2.89/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The aroma is as billed with lots of smoke and malt but nothing else. The appearance is almost black (brown) with a nice tan head. The flavor is like the aroma. The palate is smooth. Overall its exactly what most lovers of smoke want but I don't like smoke beer.

2.96/5  rDev -26.9%

Presentation: Poured from a 1 pint, 6 oz. bottle into a nonic.

A- Pours black and opaque. 2 fingers of tan head. Head dwindles slowly to a thin, incomplete cap. Nice lacing.

S- Earthy with smoky undertones.

T- Hint of malty sweetness followed by a coating smokiness. This coating seems to deepen with each subsequent drink, building up and obliterating all other taste sensations. As a smoked bacon lover, I certainly can't say I am experiencing any of the "liquid bacon" sensations that many others have described. Honestly, just too smoky for my buds to enjoy. Hard for me to rate here....I don't care for it, but it is certainly delivering the smoke that it's name would lead you to expect.

M- Fairly low carbonation, somewhat creamy. Smoky coating/dryness.

D- For my tastes, pretty low here. I had to bail with drinking this alone after a short while and pair it with some smoked summer sausage and crackers. This helped, but the smoke was still a little overbearing. For my money, this one is best sampled in small doses. Overall, a very tough beer for me to evaluate.

Future outlook: I loved Stone Smoked Porter, and I love smoked food to the extent that I smoke my own food in my own smoker....even as a smoked food lover/nut, this beer is just too damn smoky for my personal tastes.

Smoke Jumper Smoked Imperial Porter from Left Hand Brewing Company