Smoke Jumper Smoked Imperial Porter | Left Hand Brewing Company

Added by GCBrewingCo on 12-19-2006

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
Reviews: 248 | Ratings: 597
4.22/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

-midnight black beer with little head
- very smoky chocolate notes with a sweet start to alcohol end
-light chocolate notes, lots of roasted grains and smokiness with a alcohol end
- thick and warming beer, doesn't over coat though in my opinion
-overall a very smoky beer pleasant but i expected less smoke from a imperial porter but top notch beer none the less

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Smoke Jumper is nearly black, but around the edges peek slivers of cloudless golden brown. Oatmeal head rolls forth to a depth of three fingers, piling high but loose. Leaves slippery lacing when it falls. You can smell the fire any where withing two feet of this thing. It's cedary over everything else, but also wet and earthy and mossy with a little toasty malt.

Taste is smoky in the beginning and the end. Faint cocoa powder in the middle, with a lingering cereal aftertaste. I'd love it more if the booze didn't come across a little like rubbing alcohol. Light and a little watery mouthfeel. Light carbonation, too.

So that alcohol taste is typical of imperial porters I've tried, so I'll cut it some slack. I really do enjoy this beer pretty good.

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Appearance - Dark brown with a dark beige head. Head was 75% of the mug. The head seemed to become it's own entity and budged only a bit to let the beer pour through a small tunnel at the bottom when the glass was tilted.

Smell - Light smokiness, could not smell anything else.

Taste - Thick roasted malts that got more smoky as I refilled my glass. Mold hops. Everything about this beer intensifies as it warms up.

Mouthfeel - Thick with a yeasty aftertaste.

Drinkability - Good brew.

Just one opinion - Almost a great brew, needs a little more touch up before it was bottled as a final product - or maybe I got a bad bottle. For $12 for a 750ml corked bottle, I expected a bit more.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance: Dark Brown - with ruby to orange hues

Smell: Caramel, Malt, Smoke, Toast, Dark Chocolate, Brown Sugar

Taste: Smokey Warmth, White Pepper, Caramel, Brown Sugar, Molasses, Burnt Banana, BBQ Smoked Tenderloin - this would go great in a BBQ sauce.

Mouthfeel: The best part about this beer - the smokey warmth soothes and softens the palate.

Drinkability: Sipper - Grab this beer when you're cold - not that best for the summer - but definitely a nice sipper to savor on a cool evening.

3.77/5  rDev -6.9%

22oz. poured into nonic
Appearance: Dark brown/black with huge fluffy tan head. Awesome retention and decent lacing.

Smell: Dark chocolate, earthy hops, and obviously smoke.

Taste: The smoke comes off as kind of a woody flavor that makes the dark bitter chocolate flavors actually taste better. In the end of the sip there is some earthy hop and very faint citrus hop hints.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth in the mouth and goes down nicely. Alcohol hidden well.

Drinkability: Just one bomber is fine for me for now, but I'll definitely pick up a few more.

Overall: I like how the smoke flavor stands up the weight of this porter. I've only had a few smoked porters but they are turning into one of my favorite styles and this is one to try.

4.02/5  rDev -0.7%

22 oz bottle poured into snifter. Bottled on 2/7/2012.

Pours very, very dark with a finger or two of beautiful light brown head. Head fades fairly quickly, and leaves some nice lacing.

Certainly smoke in the smell, but not overpowering by any means. There's also plenty of roasted barley and maybe a hint of soy sauce.

The smell carries over pretty unchanged to the taste. There's a smoke flavor hanging over everything, but the other flavors are all balanced very well. Sweeter than I expected, with good bitterness.

Reasonably thick and silky mouthfeel, and not too much carbonation. A tiny bit of detectable alcohol.

I can't say I have a lot of experience with smoked beers, but this seems an excellent example.

Great brew. This is a stout with a thinner mouth for all intents and purposes. The pour is jet black with a thin camel colored head. The nose is of roasted malts, chocolate and coffee. The elevated ABV is well hidden, this brew is not boozy at all. The taste is consistent with the nose and includes the roast, chocolate, and coffee, maybe even marshmallows with a heavy but pleasant charcoal smoke tone that stays throughout. Smooth, no tweaky "fake strength" to hide the ABV. Finishes remarkably clean with no weird aftertaste that often accompanies big dark brews.

3.76/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance: Pours very dark, black in fact. Seems darker than most porters. A thin, soapy, tan head that recedes quickly. Lacing is very nice too. Excellent appearance.

Aroma: Thick molasses aroma with some smoke, but not as much as I'd hoped. There is a bready malt smell as well and a bit of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and thick in the mouth. The carbonation is light and pleasant.

Taste: I taste more smoke than I smelled. That molasses flavor dominates though. There is some licorice and bitter chocolate as well. There is a dry finish.

Overall impression: A pretty good smoked porter. I was expecting more smoke though. I bought a few bottles and plan to let this one age. I'll update my review after I've had a chance to taste it properly aged. Still, it's pretty good now.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a snifter. Almost jet black, with a very thin head that dissipates quickly.
Smoky smell is up front, with a hint of barbequed meat intertwined. Some chocolate and coffee as well. Bit of booze too.
Smokey, malty flavor, with some chocolate clinging horizontally. Leathery tone with a touch of alcohol. Slightly bitter finish. Little bit of smoked meat present in the exhale.
Mouthfeel is fairly thick and oily, with medium carbonation. Little bit of heat from the alcohol.
Tastiness makes you want it to be drinkable, but the thickness and booze make it not quite so. But perhaps expecting a smoked porter to rate high on drinkability is expecting too much.
Very good. Not as smokey and meaty as I hoped, but still very good.

3.57/5  rDev -11.9%

When I saw an imperial smoked porter, I had to try it. It poured dark, nearing black with red highlights when held up the light - and the smell of smoked malt came off immediately. The beer itself tasted roasty and chocolatey, follwed by a bacon-eque smoke flavor that is typical of most smoked porters. The alcohol did come out as it warmed. The mouthfeel was full bodied, but the drinkability decreased over time as the warmth from the alcohol did not mesh well with the smokiness. Overall a decent beer, but share this bomber when a friend or two...

3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

A- I hate the LH rebrand. I wasn't a huge fan of the original artwork, but it's better than the shit slapped on the side of the bottle now. The style is unmistakable, but ugly. The logo deserves better. Nice dark pour into a pint glass. Minimal toasty tan head. Transient thin lace after sipping. The body color is pitch black until a few centimeters above the head, showing its distinguishability between a porter and stout. It's appearance was probably the most inviting thing about the beer, beautifully contrasting the paint on the side of my pint glass

S- Smoke stands out the most, with some earthy-malty smells intermittently.

T- Good, but underwhelming my expectations. The carbonation is subtle (which is good) and the ABV doesn't show itself either. I mainly catch a hoppy flavor with smoky overtones, the latter lingering.

MF- Again, underwhelming but good. My expectations were a little more silk, but a tad too thin.

O- I was excited to try the brew, especially after such solid stuff I've had by LH and the positive reviews I've read. Definitely a note-worthy beverage.

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours black with small tan head.

Smells is loads of smoked bacon and coco.

Wow..this beer isn't shy with the smokiness which I love. Almost like a liquid bacon..so good. Great hints of coco, coffee, molasses, and tremendous roastiness.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, thick and silky.

Overall this is such a great smoked porter in my opinion..some people might be overwhelmed by the amount of smoke but I love it. One of my favorites.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours an impenetrable black with a decent one finger caramel head. Head hangs around for the duration leaving thin consistent lacing on the side of the glass goblet.

Aroma is very enticing. Smokey, yet sweet. Raisins and dates come threw the campy smoke. Overly roasted malts. Also had a dryness to it.

Taste is great! The over roasted malts shine threw, giving it a smokey and not burnt flavor. Raisin and dates again, coffee and chocolate. There is a slight bitter pine in the finish along with a warming sensation from the ABV. Alcohol doesn't really come into play with the taste, but you can feel it in the finish.

Mouthfeel is good for a beer of this depth. Carbonation is complimenting. Only slightly oily from the malts.

Drinkability is also good for this style. This bomber will not have any problems being consumed in this sitting. A great smoked porter from a brewery I have never heard of before. Will be trying to find some more stuff from these guys!

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

The head poured out a frothy caramel on top of a pitch black brew. It smelled strongly of bacon and a bit of shoo fly pie. It had a thick mouthfeel that clung to the tongue, and the taste was fantastic: a pleasant chocolate and licorice harmony, with a lingering molasses. This beer's great for sipping or drinking, but the thickness may irritate beer novices, as will the strong licorice and bacon notes.

4.37/5  rDev +7.9%

I've only had a Rauchbier from Rock Bottom in King of Prussia,Pa.
before this which I really liked.
This beer was had at the Flying Pig in Malvern on tap.
Poured dark avg head with that smoky nose.
Tasted like a liquid Slim Jim at first. Rounded out to a real smooth smokey exlixer that ain't no session brew.
Very tasty but I'd have to limit myself to 2 of these.
Just too big a brew, unless maybe a Smorgasborg was present!

4.62/5  rDev +14.1%

I had the opportunity to try this beer on tap in Longmont at the brewery. I'd not had the opportunity to try this brew before, but I'd been looking forward to it for some time. When poured into a goblet, the beer had a very very dark color, barely translucent but a deep red/brown earthy color. Poured with about a finger width of head, not too think and a dark brown tint.
The smell was incredible. You can really pick up on the smoke, smells like maple charcoal, with a hint of cedar. Also some notes of bitter chocolate and a hefty malt scent.
The taste of this beer was incredible. I don't know what hit me first, the smoke or the chocolate taste, but the whole package combined for an excellent taste and a very full, swirly mouthfeel. It would be a challenge to put down more than one or two of these in a night, but it really is a great beer and one that I'd certainly recommend to others. Liked it so much I bought a case!

4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

From a corked and caged bomber, poured in a big-ass wine glass.

A: Beeeeautiful. Extremely dark brown, revealed a faint ruby tint when held to up to my desk lamp. Frothy tan head that simply. Doesn't. Go. Away.

S: To me, the only area where this isn't off-the-chart good. Roasted, a little alcohol, a little smoke -- but not nearly as much as I expected.

T: Wow. Roasted malts swirling with the smoke, which reminds me a bit of a really good Scotch. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming and there's a burned sugar flavor that adds sweetness at the finish. This is meant to be big, and it is, but all the components are perfectly balanced. Amazing.

M: Creamy, velvety, viscous.

D: Definitely not a session beer -- the alcohol takes care of that -- but boy, I want some more.

I tend to be pretty enthusiastic about stuff, but I'm not exaggerating when I say this is one of the best beers I've ever tasted. I have to drive to Ohio to get it, but it's totally worth the trip.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Exceptional Porter.. ive had a few porters and this one is on the Best of "Left hand List" that ill store in my mind when i roam the shelves at total wine and AJ's.

Never had a smoked porter until i tried this one this passing June 2014.
after having left Hands Black Jack id say this is right up there with it but in terms of difference in taste this is the other side of the porter coin

S - Smoked molasses

A - Black with a lacy light brown head that quickly shrinks to a creamy lace/foam that sticks around and is extremely tasty.

T- toasted malt up front with a nice hop finish. Leaves a smoke flavor/scent lingering in the back of the mouth between sips.

M - There is a Light effervescence to this thick brew that coats your mouth sticking the smoky flavor to the back of your toung.

D - A very enjoyable imperial porter.

4.32/5  rDev +6.7%

A 2006 750ml, I poured into a tulip like glass. Now, I have not reviewed many beers, nor do I consider myself a beer connoisseur, but I feel the need to review this one.

This porter poured into my glass with a huge creamy tan head - not something I would have expected but it did not take away from the overall experience. The mouthfeel was smooth, not too carbonated and not a huge blast of smokiness either - which I like. You can definitely smell the smoke and the roastiness, but like I said, it was not overwhelming.

Taste was yummy, for the lack of a better term. A real nice porter with a subtle smoke flavor that hints towards the end.

I really like this Smoked Porter. It is an acquired taste, as are all smoked beers, but this is quite a tasty beverage!

Thanks to czoch75 for this bottle!

Cheers!
April

2.69/5  rDev -33.6%

I do NOT understand all the good reviews of this beer. While it had a considerable smoke odor to it, it tastes like liquid BACON! I downed a glass and it was beyond enough. As much as I love bacon, it was not a beer I would ever drink again. On another side though, it would make a great base for braising or slow cooking a roast or maybe even a pork shoulder. I would at least tell you to sample it if possible, thank God for WoB in this case. Beyond the sample though, I do NOT recommend drinking this brew, unless you really like liquid bacon.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

This is an incredibly intense beer, and is not at all a good beginner beer unless trying to display the farthest reaches of what a beer can taste like.

Poured a near-perfect dark brown into my ale glass, with a head that just exploded in the glass and lasted for quite some time. One of the most stubborn heads I've dealt with in awhile, although I didnt have much time to linger on that because the smell hit me so hard! Typical porter notes of chocolate, licorice, and cherries, with the typical smoked smells of oak, dried leaves, and tobacco, with an added BIG smoky smell similar to smoked gouda or another strong smoked cheese.

The beer tasted delicious but was very overwhelming. I would have loved to pair this with something simple like sliced veggies or mild cheese. The same notes in the nose were there, and as far as I can tell were in approximately the same proportions. The added notes were coffee, copper, blood, and resin. Mouthfeel was perfect as far as thickness goes, but make sure to prepare your palate for this beer. I have never had a beer this smoky, but I would certainly recommend it to someone as an epicurean experience. Overall a tasty brew, ripe for pairings in a souther Thanksgiving meal!

Recommended for: Kurt Russell in Backdraft, Kurt Russell in Escape from LA, Kurt Russell in Captain Ron.

4.02/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance- Poured a very dark brown with light only coming in around the edges to reveal an amber hue. Had a foamy head that quickly dissipated into a thin layer. Nice lacing left behind after each sip.

Taste- Smoke, smoke, smoke from the first sip to the lingering aftertaste, which lasted for a good bit after I swallowed. The aftertaste was intense and very pleasurable. Reminded me of a good plate of BBQ.

Mouthful- Found this beer to be thinner than I expected, but not watery in the least.

Drinkability- The smokiness is very intense, from the first to last sip. Some might find this intolerable. I would compare this beer to a strong cigar, you must have a taste for it.

Overall- 750ml was a lot of this beer, I would consider trying this again in a smaller serving

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last